• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket on YouTube

Rajeev

U19 12th Man
I have emailed James twice already, he has removed link of other sites where cricket is shown.Yet, youtube is allowed?

If the site is concerned about copyright, why allow youtube? any particular reason for double standards

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rajeev said:
I have emailed James twice already, he has removed link of other sites where cricket is shown.Yet, youtube is allowed?

If the site is concerned about copyright, why allow youtube? any particular reason for double standards
Because users who view YouTube are not liable for any copyright infringement pertaining to the clip. Only the person/s responsible for the upload.

"In connection with User Submissions, you affirm, represent, and/or warrant that: (i) you own or have the necessary licenses, rights, consents, and permissions to use and authorize YouTube to use all patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights in and to any and all User Submissions to enable inclusion and use of the User Submissions in the manner contemplated by the Website and these Terms of Service"

...further to...

"However, by submitting the User Submissions to YouTube, you hereby grant YouTube a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the User Submissions in connection with the YouTube Website and YouTube's (and its successor's) business"

That YouTube allows the clips to be shown is exercising the above right, having stated that they are not responsible for any legal hassle pertaining to the supposed owner of the clip (ie person who uploaded it).

EDIT: Worth noting that YouTube also monitors the site for copyright infringement and removes any footage seen to do so when notified. This further lessens the liability of the viewer.

Last edited:

Rajeev

U19 12th Man
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Because users who view YouTube are not liable for any copyright infringement pertaining to the clip. Only the person/s responsible for the upload.

"In connection with User Submissions, you affirm, represent, and/or warrant that: (i) you own or have the necessary licenses, rights, consents, and permissions to use and authorize YouTube to use all patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights in and to any and all User Submissions to enable inclusion and use of the User Submissions in the manner contemplated by the Website and these Terms of Service"

...further to...

"However, by submitting the User Submissions to YouTube, you hereby grant YouTube a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the User Submissions in connection with the YouTube Website and YouTube's (and its successor's) business"

That YouTube allows the clips to be shown is exercising the above right, having stated that they are not responsible for any legal hassle pertaining to the supposed owner of the clip (ie person who uploaded it).

EDIT: Worth noting that YouTube also monitors the site for copyright infringement and removes any footage seen to do so when notified. This further lessens the liability of the viewer.

..My Friend, Brilliant Read..Ahem...

I was talking about other sites where video is shown, just like Youtube

BTW, Youtube and any other site doesnt remove the videos unless the provider complaints

Copyright is copyright, however it is interpreted..I am just confused abt cricketweb's policy on this

cricket videos unplugged

How is it different from youtube? video source is from ESPN or SKY or someone else. yet the above blog is *** 'd out? why

Last edited:

PY

International Coach
I don't know much about it but isn't it legal because you don't gain your own copy of it from YouTube, you can only use the uploaders license to watch it.

Rajeev

U19 12th Man
Excuse me?

You mean to say, it's fine to record and upload on Youtube.com (without anyone's permission) but it's not fine to record and upload on your blog/site?

..and even if someone takes a link of youtube.com (which I am not refering to ), it still isn't the issue of asking the uploaders permission unless he went to the live match and recorded a clip

Else, its all copyright ( if u see it that way )

Mr Mxyzptlk

Rajeev said:
And see as I cleverly snip out all the irrelevant aspects of your post.

Response: and I'm not. My post pertains to YouTube because this thread pertains to YouTube.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Rajeev said:
Excuse me?

You mean to say, it's fine to record and upload on Youtube.com (without anyone's permission) but it's not fine to record and upload on your blog/site?
Where did he say that?

All he's saying is that the copyright issue has nothing to do with the viewer on YouTube. It's the issue of the provider of the footage.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Rajeev said:
..My Friend, Brilliant Read..Ahem...

BTW, Youtube and any other site doesnt remove the videos unless the provider complaints

Copyright is copyright, however it is interpreted..I am just confused abt cricketweb's policy on this

cricket videos unplugged

How is it different from youtube? video source is from ESPN or SKY or someone else. yet the above blog is *** 'd out? why
This is an excellent question, but sadly, I doubt that anybody here (including me) is really equipped to satisfactorily define a consistent position on it (legally based, anyway). I suspect that Youtube presents huge issues for copyright infringement, but that it's largely accepted to link to by most sites because it's simply so proliferate. In any case, the policy here is likely to be fairly arbitary, but you might as well accept it.

Luckily though, it does give you an out if you have clips you want to share in future - just make sure that you upload them to Youtube.

Rajeev

U19 12th Man
Sounds more like a court drama , where everyone is trying to justify a feed of video captured from TV and uploaded somewhere

I questioned the integrity of this site, and it's clearly wrong and confusing that a single site like youtube's link are OK here but another one is not

The goal is to let people enjoy the vids, not any other factor

Its not advertisement, and I dont think I need to waste any time explaning this, but it's clearly unfair that other links are ****' d out

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Had no idea that Latif 'catch' was so blatant. I was under the impression he had grassed it, but kept hold of the ball.