• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Nations and Rankings

hourn

U19 Cricketer
I was just have a wonder of how the ICC ranks the lower nations of cricket, and after looking at their web-site its clear that Cricket Nations are divided into 3 categories:

1 - Full Members - Test Playing Nations
2 - Associate Members - Teams which play in the ICC Trophy/WC Qualifying Tournament
3 - Affiliate Members - Other Nations which play cricket according to the laws of the ICC

Now what i'm still unclear on is:

How does a team go from Affiliate Members to Associate Member??

Do Affiliate Members nations play "international" matches against each other??

If two associate members national teams played each other in a 4-day match or 1-day match, is that classes as a FC match or List A match??

If a full members provincial team plays against an associate members national team, is that classed as a FC match or List A Match??

In the ICC Trophy tournament, the teams were ranked into division 1 and 2, how did they ICC decide these rankings??

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Non-Test Nations are one of my interests, so here goes...

How does a team go from Affiliate Members to Associate Member?
Application

Do Affiliate Members nations play "international" matches against each other??
Yes. Daniel Keulder, Namibia's captain, hit 200+ in a 3-day game against Italy

If two associate members national teams played each other in a 4-day match or 1-day match, is that classes as a FC match or List A match??
Nope.

If a full members provincial team plays against an associate members national team, is that classed as a FC match or List A Match??
Not sure, I think both teams in a game need to have FC/List A status, there's a full list on CricInfo, will check later when my PC stops dying

In the ICC Trophy tournament, the teams were ranked into division 1 and 2, how did they ICC decide these rankings??
Previous performances I think, and how well they expected them to perform (more games between high quality opponents was the plan... Didn't work, Namibia were ranked 13...

hourn

U19 Cricketer
I didn't think that when associate national teams play each other they were classed as FC or LA. But i think that is abit stupid that say, if they play in the World Cup it counts as a full one day international. but if they play in a tour match its not even a List A game.

CAn you also give us the address on cricinfo where it has List A and FC teams.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
hourn said:
I didn't think that when associate national teams play each other they were classed as FC or LA. But i think that is abit stupid that say, if they play in the World Cup it counts as a full one day international. but if they play in a tour match its not even a List A game.

CAn you also give us the address on cricinfo where it has List A and FC teams.
I don't know the deal now but in 1996 Ireland and Scotland played a match and Scotland's George Salmond got 181 or something. That was classed as a FC Innings.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes, Ireland vs Scotland has historically been given first class status, but it is now a one day game I think.

chris.hinton

International Captain
I think that more Interaction should be made bettwen the test playing Counties and Non-test Playing Counties

For example Australia A could play Fiji, Namibia and other counties ok there will thrash them but it will help the development of these Counties

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
chris.hinton said:
I think that more Interaction should be made bettwen the test playing Counties and Non-test Playing Counties

For example Australia A could play Fiji, Namibia and other counties ok there will thrash them but it will help the development of these Counties
True! Australia went to Kenya with another country (who was it?) and I'm sure that helped Kenya. It would help show that the world cares about Cricket wherever it's played.