• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Journalism

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Interesting, I've only ever looked at it from the pro-POV, would be interested in reading the cases against it or what not, if you have any links etc

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If we're talking online advertising, wouldn't the requirement for user payment to access the services DISADVANTAGE companies advertising online?

Less users (at least initially), and websites will receive less hits.

pasag

RTDAS
If we're talking online advertising, wouldn't the requirement for user payment to access the services DISADVANTAGE companies advertising online?

Less users (at least initially), and websites will receive less hits.
Yeah, of course. Incidentally I reckon The Age have some of the best online ads Ive seen. They had that Telstra one not long ago that was integrated so well, also the Green Macbook one iirc. Was very impressed.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sorry, completely misread GIMH's post, and thought he said it was inevitable because of the advertising, not it was unnecessary.

Ignore my "stating the obvious" Microeconomics 101post then :)

Agree regarding online advertising btw.

Hate the AFL.com.au ones though. Hate that whole site all together. Just **** off.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I would have thought that with internet websites as news mediums increasing in popularity (and numbers), the chances to make a career in journalism is actually increasing.
I wouldn't think so, certainly not enough to make a career and living out of (aside from a few). Happy to be proven wrong and not really talking from any first hand experience but all the sackings at papers like The Age have been very worrying.

On a side note it looks like they're going to start charging for The Age site.
Yeah, at least in New Zealand, newsrooms are being rationalised all over the country, while sub-editing is being centralised as well (which, in my view is idiotic, as it removes local knowledge from the sub-editing process).

As for getting into journalism, be prepared for a decent slog of average rounds for a couple of years, learning your craft on council meetings, 100th birthday parties and writing mundane captions. But once you get into a sports reporting role, it's worth it. Well, the money isn't, but the job is. I simply tired of it myself as I disliked the recent trend to move away from analysis towards personality-based news.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
True, but people should be exposed to the realities of any profession. I've found it hasn't always been the case and you only find out down the track that things have been extensively sugar coated.
True, but you can make someone aware of the realities without telling them to forget about it before they've even started.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The point is, don't get your hopes up, because your chances are pretty slim, however hard you try.

Anyone attempting to enter the field must be aware of that and not just expect to be able to guarantee results by doing the right preparation.

If you want it so badly that to not try would leave rest-of-life scars, go for it - but do so always being aware of the low level of prospects, and (as pointed-out on a couple of occasions) if you've not got a contingency plan be aware that you're probably going to be in trouble.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The point is, don't get your hopes up, because your chances are pretty slim, however hard you try.

Anyone attempting to enter the field must be aware of that and not just expect to be able to guarantee results by doing the right preparation.

If you want it so badly that to not try would leave rest-of-life scars, go for it - but do so always being aware of the low level of prospects, and (as pointed-out on a couple of occasions) if you've not got a contingency plan be aware that you're probably going to be in trouble.
The point was taken I presume. It can be made a number of ways.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm involved in Radio and TV sports journalism...or are you looking to be in print??

Pringle

Cricket Spectator
I haven't got any qualifications in journalism, but a couple of years ago managed to get some online football journalism work and last October was able to quit the day job and go fully freelance. I concede that there are more opportunities for football writers than for cricket, but it shows that it can be done.

As others have suggested, concentrate on blogging about cricket and building up the readership of your blog. Put links on your site to other cricket blogs and before long, some of them will reciprocate and you're readership will start to grow. The more you write, the better you'll become and you'll have examples of your work to show, when you start trying to get paying gigs.

It's true that the papers are tending to go with ex-pros rather than journalists, but the web is creating lots of opportunities. As well as normal cricket sites, there's lots of work going for betting affiliate sites, who need people that can write match previews.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Don't think i've ever once clicked on an online ad.
Same - well not intentionally. I have this very imprecise mouse, and I think once I accidently clicked on a penis enlargement ad. But that was because of the mouse. Not because I need the cream. I was actually looking for extra LARGE underpants anyway, so I don't know why that ad was up onscreen. Stupid really, who's going to pay $49.95 for a cream promising to increase your length AND girth. And surely there's some sort of requirement for a no-refund policy to be flagged in the advertisement.

So yeah, I don't think online advertising works.

pasag

RTDAS
Same - well not intentionally. I have this very imprecise mouse, and I think once I accidently clicked on a penis enlargement ad. But that was because of the mouse. Not because I need the cream. I was actually looking for extra LARGE underpants anyway, so I don't know why that ad was up onscreen. Stupid really, who's going to pay $49.95 for a cream promising to increase your length AND girth. And surely there's some sort of requirement for a no-refund policy to be flagged in the advertisement.

So yeah, I don't think online advertising works.
Just because it doesn't work on you doesn't mean it doesn't work in general also remember that not all online ads are meant to be clicked. The foxtel one under the QR is a good example.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I reckon most online advertising you don't even realise has worked on you tbh.

People overrestimate themselves a lot of the time. What's the old adage, "advertising works on everyone else... but not me?"

Athlai

Not Terrible
I reckon most online advertising you don't even realise has worked on you tbh.

People overrestimate themselves a lot of the time. What's the old adage, "advertising works on everyone else... but not me?"
As your drinking your coke with the label showing towards the camera.