• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket in 2028 Olympics

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Will Team GB field a side?
Not the same issue with 4 different boards like football.

We’ve got players of all 4 nationalities England qualified as far as I’m aware in county cricket. Not already playing for Ireland or Scotland.

Plus Ireland/Scotland sides include non British players too.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Not the same issue with 4 different boards like football.

We’ve got players of all 4 nationalities England qualified as far as I’m aware in county cricket,
I don’t think there would be the same sensitivity anyway. The whole four votes in IFAB thing and all that in football.

Yeoman

U19 Vice-Captain
Honestly I don’t see the point of having cricket in the olympics. No where near as much competive nations for cricket compared to the other sports. But olympics does seem to be adding a lot more sports lately I remember seeing rock climbing in the last olympics
The only advantage that I am aware of is that it will help cricket boards in associate countries get extra government funding if cricket is an Olympic sport.

if it wasn’t for the financial angle, it would perhaps be better if Olympic cricket was for Associate countries only, just as Olympic boxing is amateur only. The Olympics could then be the pinnacle for the Associate game rather than an afterthought for the full members.

Socerer 01

International Captain
The only advantage that I am aware of is that it will help cricket boards in associate countries get extra government funding if cricket is an Olympic sport.

if it wasn’t for the financial angle, it would perhaps be better if Olympic cricket was for Associate countries only, just as Olympic boxing is amateur only. The Olympics could then be the pinnacle for the Associate game rather than an afterthought for the full members.
wont happen since India will see this as an ez way to get an olympic gold

Silver Silva

International Debutant
I am open to the idea but not the seniors players, I feel the Olympics would be a good stage to send U19 teams and give them exposure.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I am open to the idea but not the seniors players, I feel the Olympics would be a good stage to send U19 teams and give them exposure.
I agree that this is how cricket boards should treat it, but that totally demeans the Olympics which means it shouldn't be there IMO.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member

Silver Silva

International Debutant
I agree that this is how cricket boards should treat it, but that totally demeans the Olympics which means it shouldn't be there IMO.
Yeah but Olympic committee have chosen to go down that route, so cricket being the second biggest sport should not deprive itself of the Olympics if tennis, football and other sports where there are bigger prizes outside the Olympics are participating..

Also we do need another platform to grow the game , Olympics is perfect platform we should have done this earlier imo, Usain Bolt could have helped promote cricket a lot at the Olympics in his prime (still can) , who knows if cricket becomes a Olympic sport then maybe big nations like China, USA will start taking more genuine interest in developing since they are obsessed with winning as many medals as possible at these Games lol.

turnstyle

State 12th Man
Word is LA28 were left with no choice but to include it as the IOC are desperate to tap into the Indian market tv wise, which makes sense. Think the last round of Olympic rights was worth around 15mill in that region.