• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket’s great Bradman barrier

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Whenever I read an article that tries to put Tendulkar on the same level as The Don I die a little inside.
I don't think that's really the point the article was trying to make.

How can it be impossible to do the Sachin when he arguably isn't the second best batsmen?
It's to do with longevity, sheer weight of international runs etc, and not about whether he's the second best batsman ever. I think it's fair enough to say that Tendulkar's career has been unbelievable, in ways that someone like Greg Chappell's career wasn't, even though Greg Chappell was arguably at least as good a player.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
It's to do with longevity, sheer weight of international runs etc, and not about whether he's the second best batsman ever. I think it's fair enough to say that Tendulkar's career has been unbelievable, in ways that someone like Greg Chappell's career wasn't, even though Greg Chappell was arguably at least as good a player.
other batsmen have played for just as long and for as many runs (albeit first class runs) but do they get any recognition?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Who knows what tendulkar might have averaged in bradmans era,Unless man invents a time machine we will never know how good different players will be in different era's.

-http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/has-modern-master-tendulkar-eclipsed-the-don/story-e6frg7t6-1225940394482
What a woeful article.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

:notworthy

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Leadership

When you play that long, you have to assume a leadership position, something that SRT failed to accomplish, in his quest to conquer the next high peak.

Bradman, Chappell, Richards were leaders, perhaps not the greatest, but they provided leadership over number scaling

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

AWTA.. His ODI record just adds so much to his legend too..

chicane

State Captain
I've never taken much interest in previous eras. In the modern era Sachin has been so godly that The Don's statistics just boggle my mind. Would make sense if the challenges involved in their respective eras are so vastly different that put in perspective, their achievements and skill can credibly be compared. Just defies belief otherwise!

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I've never taken much interest in previous eras. In the modern era Sachin has been so godly that The Don's statistics just boggle my mind. Would make sense if the challenges involved in their respective eras are so vastly different that put in perspective, their achievements and skill can credibly be compared. Just defies belief otherwise!
Just because one can't comprehend how good he could have been doesn't mean he was playing against the church choir down the road. If you downplay the achievements of the don because he wasn't modern, then what about the other greats of his era? Are they reduced to playing french cricket during their lunchtime break?

Spark

Global Moderator
Tendulkar has not been miles above his competitors though. Just 18 months ago I would have happily put Ponting ahead of him.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Should it matter whether I did or not? Sorry I'm not falling over myself kissing the very poo that Sachin excretes
Calm down mate. ;)

Reckons Zaremba's on the money here. There is more than one criteria/requirement to be possibly considered a legend, and Sachin is most definitely a legend. I have no issue accepting that he deserves recognition for his unique achievements in the modern game, and that he has set a modern standard that will take some matching in years to come. I don't think it's necessary for him to be better than Bradman to be appreciated in his own right as a genius.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Calm down mate. ;)

Reckons Zaremba's on the money here. There is more than one criteria/requirement to be possibly considered a legend, and Sachin is most definitely a legend. I have no issue accepting that he deserves recognition for his unique achievements in the modern game, and that he has set a modern standard that will take some matching in years to come. I don't think it's necessary for him to be better than Bradman to be appreciated in his own right as a genius.
:laugh: I just get annoyed when it seems 'you have to see' the players with your eyes to judge them and if the aren't modern, how can they have been any good.

ftr. I have nothing but praise for Sachin. I just don't think he should be compared to Bradman

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
other batsmen have played for just as long and for as many runs (albeit first class runs) but do they get any recognition?
They haven't done what Sachin is done. Fact.

He's not better than Bradman obviously, but the fact is he has achieved something that no one else has achieved.

He has played for 20+ years, made more runs than anyone else in the two major international forms, and is still going.

That is more of an achievement than scoring FC runs.

Cause for celebration I reckon.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
They haven't done what Sachin is done. Fact.

He's not better than Bradman obviously, but the fact is he has achieved something that no one else has achieved.

He has played for 20+ years, made more runs than anyone else in the two major international forms, and is still going.

That is more of an achievement than scoring FC runs.

Cause for celebration I reckon.
I count FC runs > ODI runs

Matt79

Global Moderator
It's a different achievement from scoring that many FC runs, and in the modern era, is more of an achievement. It is a very different kind of challenge to what a Grace or Hobbs faced, and one that should be celebrated.