• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

County Cricket 2022

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Not easy when you have quite a few international bowlers but Surrey seem to have amassed a group of poor reserve fast bowlers. Some poor bowling lineups in their warmup games.

Mckerr, Taylor, JOverton, J Clark all brought in from other counties and not particularly good fc bowlers.
Matt Dunn amazingly still contracted even though he's barely played for years.
Atkinson and Barnwell promising youngsters but no more at this point.

With Jordan's return they now have Jordan, Topley, T Curran, S Curran. 4/5ths of an England ODI bowling attack. Won't play much championship cricket that's for sure. They must get some decent money from ecb to keep signing these guys. Plunkett was another, although I think he's gone.

Still Amla and Roach are flying in this week. Pope, Foakes, Burns, Sam Curran(just as batsman) all available for this first round of championship games starting this coming week. Worrall is delayed in Australia.

It does seem a very transient team with players coming and going throughout the season.

tony p

First Class Debutant

Chubb

International Regular
Rossington has now joined Essex on loan for the season. Would love to know what happened at Northants.
Have they changed coaches? Rossington has always had some weight issues, a new coach may have wanted him to get fitter. Essex don't care about that so much.

theegyptian

Kicks off tomorrow. Some teamnews starting to come through

WORCESTERSHIRE SQUAD VERSUS LEICESTERSHIRE

Jake Libby
Ed Pollock
Azhar Ali
Jack Haynes
Gareth Roderick
Brett D’Oliveira *
Ed Barnard
Ben Cox +
Josh Baker
Joe Leach
Charlie Morris
Dillon Pennington
Adam Finch

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
Crawley wanted to be left out of the Kent squad. Probably didn't fancy a couple of single figure scores....not til his next test anyway.

theegyptian

TEAM NEWS

Somerset are currently without Tom Banton (finger), Jack Leach (unavailable), Craig Overton (unavailable) and Sonny Baker (back), whilst Lewis Gregory (illness) is also unavailable and Josh Davey is still recovering from a groin operation.

Head Coach, Jason Kerr has named the following 13-man squad for the match: Tom Abell (c), Kasey Aldridge, George Bartlett, Jack Brooks, Steve Davies, Marchant de Lange, Lewis Goldsworthy, Ben Green, James Hildreth, Tom Lammonby, Ned Leonard, Peter Siddle and Roelof van der Merwe.

theegyptian

Full Hampshire Squad

James Vince (14) CaptainKyle Abbott (87)
Mohammad Abbas (38)Felix Organ (3)
Ben Brown (10)Joe Weatherley (5)
Keith Barker (13)Brad Wheal (58)
Nick Gubbins (31)James Fuller (26)
Ian Holland (22) Mason Crane (32)
Liam Dawson (8)

Garton out with long covid.

theegyptian

Northants

R Vasconcelos (c)
G Berg
N Buck
J Cobb
B Curran
E Gay
R Keogh
S Kerrigan
L McManus (wk)
L Proctor
B Sanderson
T Taylor
S Zaib

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Not easy when you have quite a few international bowlers but Surrey seem to have amassed a group of poor reserve fast bowlers. Some poor bowling lineups in their warmup games.

Mckerr, Taylor, JOverton, J Clark all brought in from other counties and not particularly good fc bowlers.
Matt Dunn amazingly still contracted even though he's barely played for years.
Atkinson and Barnwell promising youngsters but no more at this point.

With Jordan's return they now have Jordan, Topley, T Curran, S Curran. 4/5ths of an England ODI bowling attack. Won't play much championship cricket that's for sure. They must get some decent money from ecb to keep signing these guys. Plunkett was another, although I think he's gone.

Still Amla and Roach are flying in this week. Pope, Foakes, Burns, Sam Curran(just as batsman) all available for this first round of championship games starting this coming week. Worrall is delayed in Australia.

It does seem a very transient team with players coming and going throughout the season.
The bowling's been mediocre for years. Given Surrey's financial resources and catchment, that just shouldn't be acceptable, but successive regimes haven't been able to improve matters. I know that the Currans aren't available (currently at the IPL?) but they're not exactly great FC bowlers anyway.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
There are some exciting names to keep an eye on this season (which I posted elsewhere):

Jamie Smith, Matt Critchley, Tom Prest, Tawanda Muyeye, Jordan Cox, George Balderson, Rehan Ahmed, Josh De Caires, Liam Patterson-White, Will Smeed, Alistair Orr, Danial Ibrahim, Sam Hain, Jack Haynes, Dillon Pennington.

They won't all be top level cricketers, but some of these guys have real potential.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Athers boy notching up his maiden FC half century.
I had to look twice to check this out as I'd forgotten that he took his mother's maiden name. I like his comment as recorded on cricinfo.

After making a pre-season hundred against Yorkshire for Leeds-Bradford UCCE in early 2021, he was asked by the BBC about comparisons with his dad, and said: "From what I have seen he just blocks the crap out of it, which is pretty similar to me.

Currently on 76 against Derbyshire's benign attack on an equally benign wicket. He won't have an easier chance to make his maiden FC ton.

EDIT
Looks like I jinxed him. He looks absolutely gutted about getting out, and I don't blame him.

Last edited: