• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

County Cricket 2022

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
I do like Weatherley. No glaring deficiencies in his technique from what I can see- classical style soft hands. Really should average more than 24. Hope he can put it together.

Essex will have to do without Harmer for parts of season but still look decent. Cook, Porter, Steketee and Snater is a strong seam attack.

Chubb

International Regular
I wonder if Josh de Caires might be tempted by the West Indies if he doesn’t make it to the England side.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wonder if Josh de Caires might be tempted by the West Indies if he doesn’t make it to the England side.
Don't you start. The poor kid makes one score and the press are building him up just because his dad captained England.

Makes me feel bloody old though as I remember Athers starting out, at least Broad senior was older when he got picked for England.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Don't you start. The poor kid makes one score and the press are building him up just because his dad captained England.

Makes me feel bloody old though as I remember Athers starting out, at least Broad senior was older when he got picked for England.
If we put our minds to it, we could probably come up with something close to a full side of players and their dads who we saw play international cricket. As well as the Broads, I can offer David & Johnny Bairstow, Alan & Mark Butcher, Colin & Chris Cowdrey, Peter & David Willey, Arnie & Ryan Sidebottom and Dean & Ron Headley (with Ron playing for WI, of course). From elsewhere, Lance & Chris Cairns spring to mind. There must be others. And no, I'm not old enough to have watched Len Hutton or Walter Hadlee.

EDIT
I should have included Sam and Tom Curran, whose dad Kevin I saw play in the WC for Zimbabwe. Also Derek Pringle, whose dad Don I saw play for East Africa in the 1975 WC. And apparently MJK Smith's son Neil played a smattering of ODIs in the mid-1990s, but I won't pretend to have remembered him at all. But anyway, that's 11 England players. But I'd lose a few of them if I strictly adhere to FJ's comment about seeing the father's first appearance too.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
If we put our minds to it, we could probably come up with something close to a full side of players and their dads who we saw play international cricket. As well as the Broads, I can offer David & Johnny Bairstow, Alan & Mark Butcher, Colin & Chris Cowdrey, Peter & David Willey and Dean & Ron Headley (with Ron playing for WI, of course). From elsewhere, Lance & Chris Cairns spring to mind. There must be others. And no, I'm not old enough to have watched Len Hutton or Walter Hadlee.
Gavaskars and Amarnaths for India

ImpatientLime

International Regular
If we put our minds to it, we could probably come up with something close to a full side of players and their dads who we saw play international cricket. As well as the Broads, I can offer David & Johnny Bairstow, Alan & Mark Butcher, Colin & Chris Cowdrey, Peter & David Willey, Arnie & Ryan Sidebottom and Dean & Ron Headley (with Ron playing for WI, of course). From elsewhere, Lance & Chris Cairns spring to mind. There must be others. And no, I'm not old enough to have watched Len Hutton or Walter Hadlee.

EDIT
I should have included Sam and Tom Curran, whose dad Kevin I saw play in the WC for Zimbabwe. Also Derek Pringle, whose dad Don I saw play for East Africa in the 1975 WC. And apparently MJK Smith's son Neil played a smattering of ODIs in the mid-1990s, but I won't pretend to have remembered him at all. But anyway, that's 11 England players.
neil smith, only remembered for vomiting at mid on versus the UAE in the 96 world cup.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't believe for one minute that you saw either of them play. And they were brothers weren't they? Along with Mushtaq of course.
Well no, never saw any of them play. Messed up with the named though. Shoaib Mohammad and Hanif Mohammad are the best father son duo to play tests IMO.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Both of Surrey's England rejects making a start but not going on with it. And Alex Davies making a brief appearance as a substitute fielder but sent back by the umpires as he's serving a one match ban for historic tweets.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Essex 514 v Kent. If we lose by an innings by tomorrow afternoon I'm going to weep. :tooth:

On the father and son thing, albeit going off on a bit of a tangent, I remember in 1971 when Richard Hutton made his debut they asked him about his famous father and were talking about 1938 before he'd been born. As a child in 1971 1938 seemed like ancient history at 33 years ago. Yet it was only the equivalent of 1989 now which seems like yesterday. I had a point to make but I've forgotten it...........:tooth:

cleetus hicks

Cricket Spectator
Back to 2 divisions in the county championship.

Lancashire look tasty in the blast. Salt has joined from Sussex. David as overseas. Buttler and Livingstone not in the test reckoning. Villas.
Sussex have got rid of a few more senior players. Salt, Jordan, Brown gone to other counties. Championship side will be very inexperienced.
yes the three division 'experiment' simply did not work so thank goodness cool heads prevailed and put it back to a two division affair!again maybe i am biased but warwickshire again for the top title!!

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Stupid ***y foakes getting me all hot and bothered on a saturday morning..... Lad deserves the same rope jos got in the team over the past few years, far better red ball stats then him and a much better keeper.