• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Could a Combined SC XI have beaten Waugh's or Ponting's Teams from 99 to 2007 in Australia?

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I don't thing an Asian XI from that era would have beaten Australia in Australia. Could have snatched a test but over a 4 or 5 match series, would have definitely lost.

Xix2565

International Debutant
Just need this team :p:

Rohit Sharma
Shubman Gill
Cheteshwar Pujara
Ajinkya Rahane (c)
Mayank Agarwal
Rishabh Pant (wk)
Washington Sundar
Shardul Thakur
Navdeep Saini
Mohammed Siraj
T Natarajan

subshakerz

International Coach
You're crazy . Pakistan pace (with the exception of Wasim) and spin bowling from anywhere is utterly useless in Australia. And with respect, there won't be enough Sri Lankans in the team to affect the fielding. No combined Asian team from that era is beating Australia in Australia. And they'd win only in Asia.
I think you are wrong.

Shoaib was clearly a threat in 2004 but lacked bowling support as he had Sami and Kaneria.

If you have Wasim, Zaheer, peak Shoaib used in short bursts as a third seamer and Kumble, I think it is a reasonably good attack.

Slifer

International Captain
I think you are wrong.

Shoaib was clearly a threat in 2004 but lacked bowling support as he had Sami and Kaneria.

If you have Wasim, Zaheer, peak Shoaib used in short bursts as a third seamer and Kumble, I think it is a reasonably good attack.
Better bowling attacks have gone to Australia and didn't make a shred of difference. Shoaib, Wasim and especially Zaheer aren't enough. And the spinner is utterly useless. Then there's the small matter of the Asian batting having to deal with Warne, Gillespie, Fleming/Lee and especially McGrath. No comment on the gulf in fielding. Australia heavy favorites.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
Better bowling attacks have gone to Australia and didn't make a shred of difference. Shoaib, Wasim and especially Zaheer aren't enough. And the spinner is utterly useless. Then there's the small matter of the Asian batting having to deal with Warne, Gillespie, Fleming/Lee and especially McGrath. No comment on the gulf in fielding. Australia heavy favorites.
It's mostly Mcgrath. Warne, Lee and Gillespie don't have a great record against Asian teams.

Ali TT

International Debutant
Aussies would just raise their game and whenever they did, opposition got steam-rollered. Only chance the Asian side would have is if Aussies had Brad Williams and Nathan Bracken bowling.

Slifer

International Captain
Decent but he didn't played much so hard to determine if he would trouble batsmen like Sangakkara, Sachin, Dravid, Younus, Anwar, Laxman.
In Australia he would. Either way the biggest issue for the Asian tourists is Glenn. Don't see any combination of Asian batting from that era putting up enough runs to offset the runs Australia will inevitably pile up vs Zaheer, Shoaib, Kumble and whomever else. Plus, better believe Australian fielding will gobble up any half chances on offer. I don't have near the same confidence in Asian fielding.

It's like this era, I don't see any combination of players from this era who would beat India in India.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
In Australia he would. Either way the biggest issue for the Asian tourists is Glenn. Don't see any combination of Asian batting from that era putting up enough runs to offset the runs Australia will inevitably pile up vs Zaheer, Shoaib, Kumble and whomever else. Plus, better believe Australian fielding will gobble up any half chances on offer. I don't have near the same confidence in Asian fielding.

It's like this era, I don't see any combination of players from this era who would beat India in India.
Khwaja
Cook
Smith
Root
Rahim +
Ali
Stokes c
Patel
Lyon
Cummins
Anderson

Quite a formidable team I would say.

Slifer

International Captain
Khwaja
Cook
Smith
Root
Rahim +
Ali
Stokes c
Patel
Lyon
Cummins
Anderson

Quite a formidable team I would say.
Formidable but I doubt their beating Ashwin and co in India. Not to mention how good Kohli, Rohit etc are at home. And if that weren't bad enough, then they'd have to deal with Pant.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They probably COULD have, India alone drew in 2003/04, though that was without McWarne.

But they would still lose the majority of the time

OverratedSanity

A team of

Anwar
Sehwag
Dravid
Tendulkar
Laxman
Younis/Inzi
Sangakkara (WK)
Wasim
Saqlain/Murali
Akhtar
Asif

would certainly make it competitive if given some time to gel. It's too talented a team a group of players to not give a serious challenge. Australia still favorites because of the home familiarity probably.

Didn’t Australia beat an ICC XI in that time?
The world XI was missing it's two best pacers at the time in Pollock and Akhtar (and Asif). It might not have made a difference though.

TheJediBrah

The world XI was missing it's two best pacers at the time in Pollock and Akhtar (and Asif). It might not have made a difference though.
That's debatable. It was in Sydney so they played 2 spinners and Kallis + 2 quicks. The 2 quicks were Harmison and Flintoff who were considered 2 of the best at the time, many would have them ahead of the guys you mentioned, or on par, at that exact point in time. Harmison may seem a strange choice in hindsight but he was the best bowler in the world (very briefly) around then.

If anything i would argue the biggest miss was the 2nd spinner. Surely there was a better spinner in the world than Vettori to partner Murali

Edit: also IIRC Sachin was missing

The_CricketUmpire

U19 Vice-Captain
Pakistan had what would be the whole pace attack in '99/00 and bowled poorly
I know this thread isn't really about individuals but Pakistan's Ijaz Ahmed had a really good record against Australia (home and away) in Test matches:

Home (in Pakistan)
Matches: 7
Innings: 10
Runs: 506
Average: 56.22
Not Outs: 1
Highest Score: 155
50s: 0
100s: 3

Away (in Australia)
Matches: 8
Innings: 15
Runs: 579
Average: 41.35
Not Outs: 1
Highest Score: 137
50s: 1
100s: 3

Overall (Home & Away)
Matches: 15
Innings: 25
Runs: 1,085
Average: 47.17
Not Outs: 2
Highest Score: 155
50s: 1
100s: 6

Good numbers.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
A team of

Anwar
Sehwag
Dravid
Tendulkar
Laxman
Younis/Inzi
Sangakkara (WK)
Wasim
Saqlain/Murali
Akhtar
Asif

would certainly make it competitive if given some time to gel. It's too talented a team a group of players to not give a serious challenge. Australia still favorites because of the home familiarity probably.

And get three of Mahela Jayawardane, Upul Chandana, Kaif, TM Dilshan and Shoaib Malik as substitutes and suddenly you will see half chances getting gobbled up and Pakistani pacers looking lot more threatening

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
That's debatable. It was in Sydney so they played 2 spinners and Kallis + 2 quicks. The 2 quicks were Harmison and Flintoff who were considered 2 of the best at the time, many would have them ahead of the guys you mentioned, or on par, at that exact point in time. Harmison may seem a strange choice in hindsight but he was the best bowler in the world (very briefly) around then.

If anything i would argue the biggest miss was the 2nd spinner. Surely there was a better spinner in the world than Vettori to partner Murali

Edit: also IIRC Sachin was missing
Biggest mistake was to field Boucher instead of Sangakkara. Dropped / missed two or three chances off Murali. Add Kumble, it would have been extremely ugly if Boucher kept.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
The issue people forget here is that Asian teams complement each other much better than a world XI. The reason is during that time these teams had a lot of flawed geniuses. Pakistan always lacked good fielders, and we know Sri Lankan fielders in general and Indian close fielding was top class during the time. SL and IND never had explosive fire power of Pakistani pace. if Murali or Kumble would tie up an end, these pacers could bowl much shorter spells than they have bowled for Pakistan. Since the explosiveness of them the spin would have to be treated much different than when they bowl support. (Good indication is how much Murali was threatening when he was partnered by Flintoff and Harmison, rather than Zoysa and Vaas) India always racked up runs, but never had a group of bowlers to defend it. ditto for bowling for SL. Suddenely you find a team much more than the 11 players.

The Super test XI actually was even less than the 11 players. I would have been surprised if they won.