• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cook to resign as ODI captain

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
Too bad it's not the format they were actually ****e at.

I still a major shake-up would be best. Create Team KP and see if it lasts a year.

Watson33

U19 12th Man
Sometimes you need an anchor in the team to create some glue for the entire innings. That's what Bell does effectively. You don't want people like Morgan and Buttler having to come in around the 20th over because we've lost early wickets and having to knock it about a bit, that's not their game. You want them coming in around the 30th, where they have a license to play their expansive shots and score quickly. Got the final of a major ICC 50-over event with a top 3 of Cook, Bell and Trott providing the anchor for Morgan, Bopara and Buttler. Can't just go gung-ho from ball one. And Bell's SR isn't even that low, 75 is not a bad SR in ODI cricket. Morgan's strike rate is only 86.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Jeez I dunno. If Cook is feeling the pinch from captaining both sides then I don't agree with the thegyptian.........he is right to step aside from One Day cricket and devote all his energy and attention into rebuilding our test side.

But I suspect Cab is right, any decision now would be based on emotion, they all just need to get the **** home and distance themselves from this train wreck of a tour before making any decisions.

I'm feeling for Cook right now I really am.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Agree with a lot George Dobell says here.......George Dobell: England need revitalised Alastair Cook | Cricket News | England | ESPN Cricinfo

he was asked to lead a side lacking five of the players - James Anderson, Jonathan Trott, Kevin Pietersen, Steven Finn and Graeme Swann - who had helped it to No. 1 in the ODI rankings, against a resurgent Australia. It was an impossible task. This was an accident waiting to happen.
Without these men, Cook was sent into battle without ammunition. What he requires now is time to rest and reflect on the impossible task he was given. If Cook was the right man to lead England's ODI side in June 2013 - and all the evidence suggests he was - then there is little reason to believe he is not the right man to lead them in June 2014.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
For those who haven't watched the press conference, Cook has said he'll look at things when he gets home and that he doesn't know which way he'll go.
Yeah, tough to know whether people are taking a vibe from the press conference and running with it, or whether this is through leaks from the English camp?

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
So Cook just said he is "desperate to carry on".........puts pay to all this speculation I guess.