• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Congratulations* Anil Kumble, highest Indian Test wicket-taker!

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Like Walsh was when he passed Kapil, Kumble is in his prime. Big applause to him.
Walsh and Kumble have two things in common - humility and the fact that they were ready to learn from their past mistakes. This is why they have been at their prime at the latter stages of their careers.

Legglancer

State Regular
Pratyush said:
Walsh and Kumble have two things in common - humility and the fact that they were ready to learn from their past mistakes. This is why they have been at their prime at the latter stages of their careers.
Thats quite a profund obsevation imo. Kumble and Walsh are both a rare commodity in cricket today. Which has to be recognized.

Does anyone else think Kumble can break 600 test wickets ?

Last edited:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
bout time he passes him, well deserved, superb bowler, takes on such a workload as well, key member of the side for a long long time.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Legglancer said:
I think that would a very big ask, he might make 550, but 600 is a lot more Cricket, and he's been playing a long time already.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Legglancer said:
Thats quite a profund obsevation imo. Kumble and Walsh are both a rear commodity in cricket today. Which has to be recognized.

I'd just say take it a bit at a time.
Don't worry about big goals - certainly 500 is a realistic goal, hopefully it'll happen sometime in early 2006 or so.
It's amazing how things just keep rolling if you don't think too far ahead. What's near inconceivable now (I mean, in 1999 I don't think anyone would possibly have said Warne would be playing in The Ashes 2005) can come around without anyone really noticing if you just take things a bit at a time.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pratyush said:
Off the field maybe; I've always thought we've been a bit quick to forget Walsh's odd transgression on the field.
The barrage of Bouncers at Devon Malcolm was one of the most unforgivable, needless things ever to be seen in cricket.

masterblaster

International Captain
Superb bowler, real hard working cricketer and a really good bloke if any one of you get the chance to speak to him personally.

If anyone broke Kapil's record, I'm extremely glad Kumble did it. His bowling is getting better with age and despite playing top level cricket for over 15 years, he still gives it his all in the field and of course when he's bowling.

In my opinion he's the greatest spinner India has produced and he's showing us he's got a few years left in him still.

Well done to Anil!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
masterblaster said:
In my opinion he's the greatest spinner India has produced and he's showing us he's got a few years left in him still.
You may be right - quite possibly - but it'd be interesting if Bedi and such had had the opportunity to play as many games as Kumble. :)

masterblaster

International Captain
Richard said:
You may be right - quite possibly - but it'd be interesting if Bedi and such had had the opportunity to play as many games as Kumble. :)
Your right about this mate. But I can only comment of what I've seen of Bedi and Kumble and their reputations. I rate Kumble slightly higher than Bedi because even in those dark periods of Indian Cricket where we didn't possess any match winners in the bowling department, Kumble regularly won matches for India. Bedi had a fair bit of support in Chandrasekhar, Venkat etc. But Kumble had no one apart from Srinath to an extent.

A bowling attack of Prasad, Kumble, Raju, Srinath, Chauhan doesn't inspire me with much confidence (barring Srinath and Kumble). I think it was Kumble's lack of support and his match winning ability to take quick wickets, yet bowl for huge spells that makes him (in my eyes) the best spinner India has produced.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Richard said:
Off the field maybe; I've always thought we've been a bit quick to forget Walsh's odd transgression on the field.
The barrage of Bouncers at Devon Malcolm was one of the most unforgivable, needless things ever to be seen in cricket.
I remember him terrorising poor Venkatapathy Raju in India.

The captain was showing as if he shouldnt bowl those bouncers but he kept hurling them. This was the series in which Manoj Prabhakar started opening the batting for India albeit for a brief period.

But really the aim of a fast bowler is to take wickets. If the batsman is meek enough to be terrorised in this day and age of helmets, I dont blame the bowler.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Helmets, chest-guards etc. aren't to stop it hurting, they're to stop broken bones!
A player with no real ability with the bat, someone who can't be expected to defend himself from injury, should IMO never be subjected to constant short-pitched bowling.
It doesn't matter how much protective equipment you get, you're still going to get injuries if you bowl Bouncers at a hapless tailender.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Richard said:
Helmets, chest-guards etc. aren't to stop it hurting, they're to stop broken bones!
A player with no real ability with the bat, someone who can't be expected to defend himself from injury, should IMO never be subjected to constant short-pitched bowling.
It doesn't matter how much protective equipment you get, you're still going to get injuries if you bowl Bouncers at a hapless tailender.
If you come on the field with a bat, you shouldnt expect lolipops from bowlers.

Cricket is probablyt he only sport in which you are expected to do some thing in which you dont have apparent ability. In baseball a pitcher doesnt have to bat. In football a goal keeper doesnt have to take the role of a striker (he may take the free kicks if he is good at it)..

If a bowler feels he can terrorise the batsman and take is wicket, even if its a tail ender, it shouldnt be seen with contempt. And about hurting even with chest guards etc.. now these are not kids who are playing. Its international cricket. When was it supposed to be a bed of roses?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It wasn't.
The precise reason why people should have some compassion is because cricket is the one game where people are expected to do something they're not realistically capable of.
You should not expect someone to sacrifice injury in this World, nothing can justify that. There have been times when cricket has been in danger of getting too much of a "hard" man's game.
Of course you've got to take a bruise or two every now and then, but no bowler should ever attempt to hurt a tail-ender just because the Laws of the game force him to go out there with a bat.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Richard said:
no bowler should ever attempt to hurt a tail-ender just because the Laws of the game force him to go out there with a bat.
If it can soften him psychologically because he is not mentally tough I see nothing wrong with it. Look at Harbhajan Singh. He isnt a great batsman but he counters the fast bowlers with bravado.

Lala Amarnath told Mohinder Amarnath once that you have a bat in your hand. If you ever get hurt on the cricket field its our mistake not that of the bowler. Thats the approach to go about it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pratyush said:
If it can soften him psychologically because he is not mentally tough I see nothing wrong with it. Look at Harbhajan Singh. He isnt a great batsman but he counters the fast bowlers with bravado.

Lala Amarnath told Mohinder Amarnath once that you have a bat in your hand. If you ever get hurt on the cricket field its our mistake not that of the bowler. Thats the approach to go about it.
IMO it's not anyone's "mistake" - it's the mistake of whoever failed to give you the ability to use the bat to protect you.
Believe it or not, there are people who are unable to react to a ball bowled at 90mph at their chest.
Harbhajan Singh, meanwhile, could IMO be a much better batsman if he didn't throw away his ability with the bat. IMO he doesn't take his batting seriously enough - if he did, he could average in the 20s. He's certainly got some talent, and that's what enables him to counter quick bowling.