• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Congratulations* Anil Kumble, highest Indian Test wicket-taker!

bryce

International Regular
people are too soft these days, i agree with the people who condone bouncing the tail, the only exception is if the tailender is such a hopeless bat that he does not frustrate you at all and as soon as you put one on his poles he gets knocked over.
99% of tailenders can have a good day with the bat and if your going to take the element of suprise away that the bouncer has, then the tailender will have a much better stance of staying in, anyone who has bowled to tailenders without reward and plenty of frustation(myself included) will have tried the bouncer to shake them up, despite what you say richard(it's a waste of a ball etc) it can be very effective and the tailender will always be weary of it once he knows your prepared to bounce him, which all up helps the bowlers chances of removing him, i do think that full bowling should probaly be tried before the bouncer but if all else fails.....bounce the bunny i say

bryce

International Regular
Richard said:
So what injuries are caused by fair tackles and properly-practised rucks\mauls etc.?
ok there are so many examples i will use my own personal experiences,

-last year a player on the opposite team tackled me and his face smacked into my knee and he ended up with a popped eardrum and spent the next couple of days in hospital *no rule breaking there

-this year my mate was running one direction then stepped in the other direction and popped his kneecap out of place and missed the rest of the season *no rule breaking there

-this year the captain of my team tackled and opposing played(quite hard) around the legs and the tackling player's shoulder smacked into the oppostiton player's knee which gave him a dislocated shoulder and he too was out for the season *no rule breaking there

do you want more examples richard or are you waving the white flag?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Like I say, it's not comparable to cricket - everyone is volunteering for that sort of treatment, they know it's part-and-parcel of the job - every one of the fifteen jobs.

bryce

International Regular
what are you talking about? your the one brought it up, all i was doing was proving you wrong which i did

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Richard said:
He knows what he's in for - but he wouldn't do it if he didn't have to by the Laws.
Well he shouldn't be playing cricket then - unless I am mistaken when someone is involved in a match, he knows he is going to bat.

If it is so much of a problem why don't they get some practice against the short ball?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
bryce said:
what are you talking about? your the one brought it up, all i was doing was proving you wrong which i did
Once he get proven wrong using his own example, he then steps back and says it doesn't fit. Get used to it :happy:

bryce

International Regular
Jono said:
Once he get proven wrong using his own example, he then steps back and says it doesn't fit. Get used to it :happy:
haha yeah i noticed he was trying to do that

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tom Halsey said:
Well he shouldn't be playing cricket then - unless I am mistaken when someone is involved in a match, he knows he is going to bat.
Yes, but why does that give bowlers carte blanche to bounce?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
bryce said:
Yeah, true, I wasn't really thinking when I said that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tom Halsey said:
Yes, but he also knows there are provisions in place to protect him from something he should not be subjected to.
If it is so much of a problem why don't they get some practice against the short ball?
Because for many, practice won't help in the slightest.
You can practice all you like, but there's no way to learn the skill neccessary.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tom Halsey said:
Similarly, the bowlers know that batting is part-and-parcel of cricket.
They know batting is; they know that having balls hurled at you which you have no ability to defend yourself from is not acceptible.