• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chris Gayle vs Sanath Jayasuriya

Who was the better batsman ?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Gayle for me.

He's a much better player than he's given credit for at test level because he's better known for his one day exploits.

He's got a decent record in England and the SC but was more at home on the hard, bouncer pitches down under and in SA.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gayle for me.

He's a much better player than he's given credit for at test level because he's better known for his one day exploits.

He's got a decent record in England and the SC but was more at home on the hard, bouncer pitches down under and in SA.
I think he just toured SA at the most opportune time. You'd have to go back to the '40s to find a worse SA attack than the ones led by Ntini and Nel.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Jayasuriya better batsman, bowler and fielder in ODIs
Tests, Gayle a tad better with bat, but bowling and fielding, still Jayasuriya is ahead
Jaya streets ahead as a captain.

So don't think there is much comparison.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Gayle for me.

His record in SL massively boosted once Vaas retired. Vaas nailed Gayle with a terrifying frequency for low scores and that may be one of the reasons we don't rate him highly.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Jayasuriya better batsman, bowler and fielder in ODIs
Tests, Gayle a tad better with bat, but bowling and fielding, still Jayasuriya is ahead
Jaya streets ahead as a captain.

So don't think there is much comparison.
Gayle the better singer, gotta factor that in.

"Tests unless specifically stated otherwise" so forget ODIs. Doesn't mention if it's just batting or not to be fair to you but comparing Gayle as an allrounder seems like a weird thing to do. I think it's pretty clearly meant to be about Test batting.

I voted for Sanath anyway ftr. I have a bit of an irrational hatred of Gayle as a Test batsman though, I'd probably vote for Daren Ganga ahead of him if you gave me the option.

Slifer

International Captain
I think he just toured SA at the most opportune time. You'd have to go back to the '40s to find a worse SA attack than the ones led by Ntini and Nel.
In '03 they had Nel, Ntini and Pollock. Granted, Pollock was past it but especially at home still a decent attack.

In 07-08 same duo of Nel and Ntini but also a lil fella named Steyn. Not an atg attack by any stretch but again considering the South African conditions a pretty decent attack.