• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Choose the two opening bowlers for Post Packer World XI

Who are the TWO opening bowlers for the Post Packer Dream XI?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bagapath

International Captain
Much like Hadlee he carried the NZ team of his time, but more often with both bat and ball:cool:
just went through his stats and read a few articles. obviously a wonderful cricketer. as an all-rounder you'd probably club him with armstrong and rhodes - reliable bats and fourth/fifth bowlers.

i see hadlee clearly as a bowling all-rounder - pollock, benaud, lindwall, akram kind.

archie mac

International Coach
just went through his stats and read a few articles. obviously a wonderful cricketer. as an all-rounder you'd probably club him with armstrong and rhodes - reliable bats and fourth/fifth bowlers.

i see hadlee clearly as a bowling all-rounder - pollock, benaud, lindwall, akram kind.
I would agree with your assessment (spelling):)

bagapath

International Captain
Do you (or anyone else) have an opinion on why Hadlee was not given the captaincy?
I guess he was always seen as a selfish cricketer who didn't get along well with all his teammates. i remember reading somewhere that he and his skipper in the mid 80s, jeremey coney, were not even in talking terms. in fact, when coney used to pull off amazing catches off hadlee's bowling they would individually celebrate with others but never even shake hands or exchange high-fives. handling their politics must've been tough for players like wright and crowe - who do you side with, skipper or the greatest player of your country's history? thankfully, they somehow manged to put such differences aside and new zealand had a very successful few years with these guys showing they way when they refused to lose to west indies and beat australia (twice if i remember correctly).

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Although I wonder what the vote will be from those who watched both?
I would still marginally go for Imran even though for much of his career he was no where near good enough to bat at Number 6. In his prime Botham could have batted at 4 or 5 but sadly his prime was short lived and he didn't reach the heights he was capable of.

Precambrian

Banned
I would still marginally go for Imran even though for much of his career he was no where near good enough to bat at Number 6. In his prime Botham could have batted at 4 or 5 but sadly his prime was short lived and he didn't reach the heights he was capable of.
:-O

Imran averaged 55 at No.4 (4 tests) and 62 at No.5 (20 tests) in test matches. The latter is Mike Husseyesque.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
:-O

Imran averaged 55 at No.4 (4 tests) and 62 at No.5 (20 tests) in test matches. The latter is Mike Husseyesque.
That's why I said for "much of his career". Through sheer hard work he turned himself into a useful batsman. For "much of his career" he was no more than a useful number 7 or 8.

Precambrian

Banned
Disagree. The fact that he had to bat at No.7 for a majority of his career should no way be interpreted as he was no good to bat above that.

Ask Gilchrist.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Disagree. The fact that he had to bat at No.7 for a majority of his career should no way be interpreted as he was no good to bat above that.

Ask Gilchrist.
Imran's batting success came late in his career. If he was good enough to bat higher earlier he would have - unlike Australia, Pakistan didn't have a string of genuine Test class batsman in their top 6.

Precambrian

Banned
Agreeable, and indeed Imran improved leaps and bounds towards the end of his career.

But there were reasonably brilliant batsmen who could hold their own like Miandad, Shoiab Mohammad, Musthaq Mohammad, Zaheer Abbas, Asif Iqbal, Majid Khan etc who all had better records than Imran.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Agreeable, and indeed Imran improved leaps and bounds towards the end of his career.

But there were reasonably brilliant batsmen who could hold their own like Miandad, Shoiab Mohammad, Musthaq Mohammad, Zaheer Abbas, Asif Iqbal, Majid Khan etc who all had better records than Imran.

There were plenty of quality batsman during Imran's time but the point I was trying to make is there were not enough at any one time to keep him out of the top 6 if he'd been good enough to bat there, whereas Gilchrist batted at 7 only because of the quality available to bat above him.

Precambrian

Banned
Who all were better than Gilly? Reckon Hayden, Ponting, Waugh, and perhaps Hussey for a small period of time? I don't think Jnr, Langer, Martyn, Clarke etc excelled Gilly.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Imran benefitted from a lot of not-outs too. Botham is comfortably the batsman of the two for mine, even allowing for the fat phase.