• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Choose a first name and a last name and then make a team out of it. A very fast draft

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
*had an interesting idea. this is not a draft in the traditional sense as it'l only be 2 rounds long. I'll gather somewhere between 10-15 users, shuffle the order up and then reverse it for round 1 and 2. same 12 hour rule applies for your turn.

*everyone takes turn picking names. in round 1 its first names, round 2 its surnames.

*ill be lenient with first names. if its pronounced the same youre probably in the clear regardless of spelling. so graeme and graham count as one name, as does jon and john, as does sean and shaun. just use common sense really. jimmy, jim and james all count as one name too of course, as do bob and robert, bill and william, etc

*for subcontinent players its gets a little tricky as for me personally, i sometimes get confused with what name is first and what is last name. at the risk of sounding ignorant, sometimes he name on a players jersey confused me. wel go by how they were often referred to by fans, commentators etc. for ijaz ahmed, ahmed counts as a last name. for ahmed shezad, itl count as a first name. fair?

*its a "test" team but players dont have to have played any tests to count. there are no requirements there.

*players can be used by multiple teams. for example, say one user goes with steve and jones, and one user goes with mohammed and smith. both are eligible to pick steve smith in their team, there is no race or anything, after the 2 rounds, after everyone has chosen their first and surnames they will use, you just post your XI whenever you feel like. we will vote on the best like the other drafts.

*the main issue in this is going to be keepers. if it wasnt for that id let even more than 15 people participate, as this will be over in a few days if we are quick with picking the names. now there are PLENTY of good first names that include keepers, but a quick glance at some stats tells me "good" surnames that include keepers are hard to come by. though there a few batsmen who kept occasionally out there with common last names. so the early picks of round 1 (who will go last in round 2) should be careful to include a keeper option in their name.

*i hope ive made this clear. there are no limits or min requirements for names, eg if you find 9 grahams, you can go with chappell or waugh or flower. but the way the name picking is set up, its unlikely youll get that lucky here

*i havent decided yet if the don will be included. its a rare first name imo, especially these days, so it might not be as advantageous as you think to go with him. anyway ill let majority rule with this decision

mr mister

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
There's heaps of drafts happening mate. Why don't you run this when you finish your other one?

mr_mister

okay well, my mixed nations one is done except for the voting. any interest in this? i reckon itd be cool and more importantly, over in a matter of days

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
So round 1 we all wait in turn to pick a first name and round 2 we all pick a surname and then we create our best team with the names provided immediately or we have to go through round after round because someone might want to chose a player for his first name while someone else will chose that same player for their last name?

mr_mister

yeah, atm im thinking just post your team as soon as you want after the names have been picked

from the op:

*players can be used by multiple teams. for example, say one user goes with steve and jones, and one user goes with mohammed and smith. both are eligible to pick steve smith in their team, there is no race or anything, after the 2 rounds, after everyone has chosen their first and surnames they will use, you just post your XI whenever you feel like. we will vote on the best like the other drafts.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Sorry if this has been covered (the OP is kinda long) but do we have to use the first name chosen as only first name picks or can we select a first name and pick a player who's surname is that name too?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
i dont really understand, can you post an example
Round 1 first names
Lokomotiv selects Malcolm

So Loko picks cricketers with the first name Malcolm, but can he also include someone with that surname so Devon Malcolm?

mr_mister

lol at using loko as an example, id love for him to be in a draft. as for your question, that is not currently allowed. but if people think its a good idea, then we can use it.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'm happy for it not be used, just thought its best to ask the question now as it might make a difference in who we picked.

fredfertang

Round 1 first names
Lokomotiv selects Malcolm

So Loko picks cricketers with the first name Malcolm, but can he also include someone with that surname so Devon Malcolm?
If, as a result of this post, Loko starts asking questions about drafts then I shall see it as my life's work to get you banned permanently, unless you run a new sheep draft soon, which is the only way you might partially redeem yourself

mr_mister

I'm happy for it not be used, just thought its best to ask the question now as it might make a difference in who we picked.
yeah true. well we'll stick with no for now unless a lot of people latch onto the idea

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interesting pick, haven't heard of too many people with that name. So who's next? :ph34r: