• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Channel 4's UK cricket coverage

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It is clear, as always in these frequent discussions of commentators, that there are some who like some, and others who don't like others.
Why can't you all be like me and like all the commentators, on all stations?
Instead of trying to see the best in all the players.
One thing for certain, why this stupid idiocy that someone has to be a past good player to know what they're talking about WRT the game? There are quite a few on this board who would make every bit as good a commentator\journalist as all the professionals, ex-player or not.
But AFAIAC they all have their moments, and their tendency to over-hype certain players is every bit as infuriating for one as another.
WRT the Mambo-Number-Five close-summer montage - great to see it back after 2 years' absence, but it wasn't anywhere near as good as the 2000 one.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Richard said:
It is clear, as always in these frequent discussions of commentators, that there are some who like some, and others who don't like others.
Why can't you all be like me and like all the commentators, on all stations?
Instead of trying to see the best in all the players.
One thing for certain, why this stupid idiocy that someone has to be a past good player to know what they're talking about WRT the game? There are quite a few on this board who would make every bit as good a commentator\journalist as all the professionals, ex-player or not.
But AFAIAC they all have their moments, and their tendency to over-hype certain players is every bit as infuriating for one as another.
WRT the Mambo-Number-Five close-summer montage - great to see it back after 2 years' absence, but it wasn't anywhere near as good as the 2000 one.
Im not willing to accept that a downright weird attention seeker like Nicholas is on the same planet as a knowledgable, pleasant commentator like Jonathon Agnew or Foxy Fowler... Someone who is confidant of their own abilities, but not overly so...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Of course that's your choice, but I don't mind him at all.
Of course I like Aggers and co. as well, but not especially more.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
steds said:
cough-Neil Fairbrother-cough
<quack> Don't get me started on him

Don't upset the duck. You know how worked up he got over 'Corkygate'

<quack> Brad Cheaty-Hodge ought to be turning in his grave right now

He's not dead

<quack> Only if he sees me first

Anyway, what's Fairbrother ever done to you?

<quack> Taught Cheaty all he knew.

For the benefit of CW members, Neil's surname in Derby is 'Unfairbrother' - he WAS over the boundary by a full foot - a long time ago, but grudges last longer than that with old DD.

<quack> What are you drivvelling about?

Neil Fairbrother - cheat, catch, boundary, certain victory, robbery, Natwest Trophy.

<quack> Oh, THAT!. No, I was referring to the fact that he pinched my worms to go fishing.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
Not a fan of anything Lancashire Eddie?
Au contraire - Freddie, Corky, Lancashire Hotpot, Wigan, Everton Mints, Blackpool and Thwaites Beer are (altogether now) some of my favourite things.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
Au contraire - Freddie, Corky, Lancashire Hotpot, Wigan, Everton Mints, Blackpool and Thwaites Beer are (altogether now) some of my favourite things.
That's it Eddy, support the nasty, dirty, cheating thug team over the Saints(hallelujah!!!!!!!!!! :D ).
Ahh well, at least I have happy memories of Cardiff :p

Craig

World Traveller
luckyeddie said:
Lancashire Hotpot?

Is this some type of food (ie curry)?

steds

Hall of Fame Member
It's a sort of stew of lamb, potatoes, vegetables(ie carrots, etc.) and a crust

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A vegetarian Yorkshireman, and one who likes to see the ingredients of his food before blindly wolfing it down, it might be added.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
PREFERRED COMMENTARY PANEL:
Alan Wilkins
Bob Willis
Robin Jackman
Michael Holding
Tony Greig
Dean Jones
Mike Haysman
Ian Botham
Harsha Bhogle
David Lloyd
Ravi Shastri
Geoffrey Boycott
David Gower
Navjot Singh Sidhu
Martin Crowe
Ranjit Fernando
Rameez Raja
Sunil Gavaskar
Richie Benaud
Mark Taylor

Or a mix of the best of ESPNSTAR, Channel 4 and Sky Sports.