• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Channel 4's UK cricket coverage

PommieMacGill

State Regular
marc71178 said:
I don't see how you can put Lloyd in the been there category really.
Well, he played International Cricket but he should have played a lot more. He is also a former England Coach, he knows how International Cricket works, he knows the in's and outs.

He certainly counts as "been there, done it" compared with the majority of Channel 4's commentary team!

Barney Rubble

International Coach
luckyeddie - looking back, to say Boycs is out of touch was a bit harsh, I was basing that on some things that could be interpreted a number of ways. I certainly didn't wish to imply that anyone who agreed with him was out of touch. He does talk a lot of sense, although I think he can be a little harsh on some players sometimes, not giving credit where it is deserved - I think that's kind of what I meant by out of touch, I think he thinks that modern players have an easy ride compared to him and so doesn't recognise certain achievements.

Looking forward to seeing what happens in a few years when the current England side are being approached for commentary jobs - I can see players like Giles being good at it, he did some Twenty20 commentary for Radio 5 Live earleir this year - but I can't see Freddie or Steve Harmison settling down in the combox somehow. Trescothick talks sense though, maybe he could.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
PommieMacGill said:
Well, he played International Cricket but he should have played a lot more. He is also a former England Coach, he knows how International Cricket works, he knows the in's and outs.

He certainly counts as "been there, done it" compared with the majority of Channel 4's commentary team!

Yet you count Reeve as a "mostly-average County Cricketer" when he played far more Internationally than Lloyd.

Chubb

International Regular
up untill 2002, I really liked 4's coverage. But since they axed the cricket roadshow, which was always worth a watch cos they had warne and tendulkar and lara in sometimes and proper county round-ups with longer features, they've realy gone downhill. Not so much behind the mike; their commentators are good but just with the general package, no C&G 1/4 final or the other semi of that comp. And last year when they showed a 20/20 game on sunday morning they got a bigger audience than sky did for evening games, yet now they don't have that. I read somewhere that the guy who brought the cricket to 4 had left to be replaced by someone else. That would explain it.

PommieMacGill

State Regular
marc71178 said:
Yet you count Reeve as a "mostly-average County Cricketer" when he played far more Internationally than Lloyd.
That may be so but Lloyd still has more exprience of International Cricket than Dermot Reeve. Remember, Lloyd has coached England, he also played First-Class Cricket a lot longer than Reeve did. He's been involved in Cricket longer than Dermot Reeve has.

That, in my opinion, counts him as more experienced and compare the two's international records. Reeves has a very poor record whilst Lloyd averaged over 40 in both Tests and ODI's and there's no doubt should have played more.

Also, Lloyd is a much better commentator than "in-depth, always trying to get inside players' heads" Reeves.

Just my opinion, although you do seem intent to defend Reeve at every opportunity. Of course, thats your own opinion.

PommieMacGill

State Regular
Look, we obviously have different opinions and that's okay. You think that just because Reeve's played more International Cricket than David Lloyd did that allows him to have the "been there, done it" title.

I don't think it does, he was a modest county-cricketer and was very lucky to play as much International Cricket as he did. Yep, he was a good county captain and a decent all-rounder on the county circuit. Lloyd, on the other hand made an impact when he played for England. Averaging over 40 in both Tests and ODI's begs the question why didnt he play more International Cricket? Lloyd has also coached the national side and has been involved in cricket for a long time. In my opinion he is more than worthy of the title of "been there, done it". Definately more worthy than Dermot Reeve.

Craig

World Traveller
PommieMacGill said:

And was a former FC umpire.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Dermot Reeve was one of the best one-day players of his generation - even Boycott admits that. I'm a huge fan of both Reeve and Lloyd, anyway, love the way they let their emotions get the better of them some (all) of the time.

I cannot believe anyone can seriously advocate stripping we poor terrestrial viewers of cricket.

Craig

World Traveller
Personally I loved Bumble's reaction to the "Ashley Giles - King of Spain" mugs that were meant to read "Ashley Giles - King of Spin" (although Shane Warne and Muttiah Muralitharan migh disagree somewhat but that is a different thread).

Classic.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Just watched the highlights of the C&G final that I recorded...

Nicholas's gushing all over Solanki was positively sickening... Why can he not say something insightful about the shot instead of making up some fancy bullsh** diatribe every time something arousing happens...

Barney Rubble

International Coach
I think Nicholas is a frustrated poet - although trying to make everything David Leatherdale does sound heart-breakingly beautiful is always going to be a bit of a stretch, isn't it?

Matt332

Cricket Spectator
I can't comprehend what Mr. Nicholas has done to deserve such damning critiscism. Having watched/listened to cricket on both mediums for about two and a half decades i can safely say that his delivery for the most part is extremely consumate.

Having watched the tripe that the BBC and Sky produced over the years you should be grateful.

...and how about this for game. After Dermot Reeve comes on for his commentary spell after 50+ overs of an innings, have a sweepstake with your mates at how long it'll take him to mention 'reverse swing', it's usually within the first five!!

Now you can talk about one dimensional commentating.

Just because that was about the only thing that he could do 'reasonable well' we have to listen to him time and time again talk about it.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Matt332 said:
I can't comprehend what Mr. Nicholas has done to deserve such damning critiscism. Having watched/listened to cricket on both mediums for about two and a half decades i can safely say that his delivery for the most part is extremely consumate.

Having watched the tripe that the BBC and Sky produced over the years you should be grateful.

...and how about this for game. After Dermot Reeve comes on for his commentary spell after 50+ overs of an innings, have a sweepstake with your mates at how long it'll take him to mention 'reverse swing', it's usually within the first five!!

Now you can talk about one dimensional commentating.

Just because that was about the only thing that he could do 'reasonable well' we have to listen to him time and time again talk about it.
Well you are entitled to your opinion, but Nicholas smacks of someone who is trying too hard....

I'd rather hear..
"Oh, and Solanki has used his feet well there, and not even Taylor can get to that one"

than

"Oh yaaaaaaahhhhh, yoooouuuu beautttyyy"

Because any idiot can say that

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Barney Rubble said:
Nick Knight - comfortable, calm, knowledgeable and a sure bet to head to the "combox" when he retires in a few years.
Those of us with Sky Sports have had the benefit of him for the last 3 or 4 years, sometimes commentating, sometimes in-studio guest for away tours at four-o'clock.
He's an excellent commentator\pundit, methinks.
Just a shame his status as England's best ODI player ever is so little recognised.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Richard said:
Those of us with Sky Sports have had the benefit of him for the last 3 or 4 years, sometimes commentating, sometimes in-studio guest for away tours at four-o'clock.
He's an excellent commentator\pundit, methinks.
Just a shame his status as England's best ODI player ever is so little recognised.
Word.. He is a cracking pundit, and still a class act with the bat...