• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chanderpaul retires from international cricket

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Very good player who could probably still walk into the WI side..one of those guys who you knew would always go big if you didn't get him early..good luck to him in whatever he does from here..

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Chanders was the man. After almost a decade of indifference, he shuffled his way into our hearts.

Slifer

International Captain
And here in lies why I hate the WICB so much. Look at how they've treated their last two retiring greats : Lara and the Shivster. Both could've played on for a few more seasons but for the WICB they didn't. Meanwhile we have all these dead weights getting game after game. Also, notice how both legends retired without so much as a fuss by the wicb, then contrast this with how other countries send off their legends ex: Sanga, Srt.

Anyway, enough of my ranting; Shiv thank you so much for your great service to WI and world cricket. Some have called you a selfish batsman, but if the WI had more like you who would put a high price on their wicket, we might be in a much better state.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Top career that didn't end the way it should have.

P.S: Does this mean Herath is the only active cricketer who made his test debut in the 20th century?
Has Harbhajan retired? He played Tests in 2015.

May also depend on how you define 20th century: Younis Khan and Marlon Samuels made their Test debuts in 2000.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Chanders peak was Aus tour to WI in 2008 I reckon. He was immense that tour
His 2007 tour to England he spent an absurd amount of time cumulatively between dismissals.

Loved the bloke, a complete and utter enigma. How does a guy who lines up as if he's expecting the ball to be bowled from square leg score over 10,000 runs? Yet he managed somehow.

At times his batting with the tail was poor, but I don't think he fits the selfish tag. More runs your batsmen score, the better chance you have of winning. It was hardly Chanderpaul's fault he spent the latter part of his career batting with clowns. He'd have been the ideal number 3 for a good team to build round, an absolute rock you could rely on to score runs and not throw his wicket away.

What I loved most of all was his temperament. Not only did he not throw his wicket away but I just loved the way he would randomly smash the opposition bowlers, seemingly for no reason whatsoever.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's the problem I've always had with his batting. He would've been a brilliant number 3/4 for the Windows, but he spent his career down at number 5 while also being unwilling(at times) to properly shield the tail of an already poor lineup. I'd have warmed to him a lot more if he either chose his moments to attack the bowling/shield the tail better as a number 5 or played exactly like Chanderpaul but just at number 3. He was stuck somewhere in between when he could've proved even more valuable to the West indies performing one of those two roles properly instead.

Anyway, don't want to stink up his retirement thread too much. Guy was awesome. In the top 7-8 West indies bats ever? I'd have Lara, Sobers, Headley, Viv ahead obviously, but after that it's a big clump of Kanhai-kallicharan-chanderpaul-greenidge etc

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I would have really liked to see him play longer for them. Though he declined in the last series he played, the alternatives aren't even average most of the time.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
That's the problem I've always had with his batting. He would've been a brilliant number 3/4 for the Windows, but he spent his career down at number 5 while also being unwilling(at times) to properly shield the tail of an already poor lineup. I'd have warmed to him a lot more if he either chose his moments to attack the bowling/shield the tail better as a number 5 or played exactly like Chanderpaul but just at number 3. He was stuck somewhere in between when he could've proved even more valuable to the West indies performing one of those two roles properly instead.

Anyway, don't want to stink up his retirement thread too much. Guy was awesome. In the top 7-8 West indies bats ever? I'd have Lara, Sobers, Headley, Viv ahead obviously, but after that it's a big clump of Kanhai-kallicharan-chanderpaul-greenidge etc
OMG I was thinking to myself 'as good as he is, he's nowhere near a West Indies all time XI which shows their historic quality' then completely forgot about Sobers when compiling said XI.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The real sad thing is how few modern players are making it to these AT Windies sides. :(
Given a Windies middle order is probably Viv-Lara-Headley-Sobers (unless you want to stick Lloyd or Worrell in there for captaincy) it's a pretty hard side to break into.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
OMG I was thinking to myself 'as good as he is, he's nowhere near a West Indies all time XI which shows their historic quality' then completely forgot about Sobers when compiling said XI.
Lol I forgot the three Ws when I was naming the top 7-8 batsmen :laugh:

West Indies' list of ATG cricketers is truly mind boggling.

Slifer

International Captain
Top tier:

Lara
Viv
Headley
Sobers

2nd tier

Weekes
Worrell
Walcott
Shiv