• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Champions League 2007/08

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
The ran at him and touched him, after that Dida was completely in the wrong. I don't see how Dida can get away with this, Celtic will obviously get punished as well.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Sledger's right, there's no way that anything will actually be done about it. But to Sledger, how is it impossible to prove that his intentions were dishonourable? I can't actually see any way in which is actions could be interpreted as honourable.
all he has to say is "i suddenly felt in a state of shock, i simply couldnt stay on my feet and nearly passed out", where it may seem like a blatant lie, and probably would be, there is no way anyone can conclusively prove that he was trying to bring the game into disrepute.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Of course he wants the game replayed, he's just let in a howler, his team's lost 2-1 in the dying seconds, seems to me as thought that woulod quite clearly be his intentions.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The ran at him and touched him, after that Dida was completely in the wrong. I don't see how Dida can get away with this, Celtic will obviously get punished as well.
mate think outside the box, Dida may well have been in the wrong, but one stupid act brought on another, Dida was stupid and Childish, but he didnt break any rules, what you have said there is a lesser equivalent of "the fan put a gun in his face, so hit punched him in the face, after he hit him he was completely in the wrong".

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Of course he wants the game replayed, he's just let in a howler, his team's lost 2-1 in the dying seconds, seems to me as thought that woulod quite clearly be his intentions.
Whether thats the case or not, what you have just said is completely meaningless as it cannot be proved on way or the other.

cameeel

International Captain

BoyBrumby

Englishman
that argument simply doesnt stand up i'm afraid, its like saying "find me a law that states i can wiggle my fingers", you cant base an argument on the principle that you need to have a rule to entitle you to do anything.
Dida's actions are covered by FIFA law 12, decision 5. Linky:

Any simulating action anywhere on the field, which is intended to deceive the referee, must be sanctioned as unsporting behaviour.

No mention of there being a requirement for a player to have been fouled by a member of the opposition.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Dida's actions are covered by FIFA law 12, decision 5. Linky:

Any simulating action anywhere on the field, which is intended to deceive the referee, must be sanctioned as unsporting behaviour.

No mention of there being a requirement for a player to have been fouled by a member of the opposition.
hmm fair enough, but i would argue that his behaviour wasnt a direct attempt to con the referee, more of an attempt to draw attention to himself, to suggest all that was on his mind was an attempt to get the match replayed is a bit far fetched, probably just saw that he had no chance of catching the fan so he thought he would make a fuss out of it.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
hmm fair enough, but i would argue that his behaviour wasnt a direct attempt to con the referee, more of an attempt to draw attention to himself, to suggest all that was on his mind was an attempt to get the match replayed is a bit far fetched, probably just saw that he had no chance of catching the fan so he thought he would make a fuss out of it.
As the referee is the ultimate arbiter on the field of play (not afterwards tho, obviously) any simulation is usually treated as an attempt to hoodwink him (or her, but hopefully him :p).

Years ago Chile were actually thrown out of the 1994 world cup after their keeper pretended to be badly hurt by firecrackers thrown by the opposition fans, so perhaps Milan are keeping quiet because of this precedent. (Link.)

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
As the referee is the ultimate arbiter on the field of play (not afterwards tho, obviously) any simulation is usually treated as an attempt to hoodwink him (or her, but hopefully him :p).

Years ago Chile were actually thrown out of the 1994 world cup after their keeper pretended to be badly hurt by firecrackers thrown by the opposition fans, so perhaps Milan are keeping quiet because of this precedent. (Link.)
hmm i remember that incident, however on that occasion the keeper entirely fabricated the entire incident, he wasnt touched by the firecracker or whatever it was at all. Contact (no matter how minimal) was made with Dida, that difference will probably be enough to stave off any unlikely possibility of punishment.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I am afraid that I concur with Sledge again, years of experience with UEFA/FIFA should tell you that nothing will happen to Dida whatsoever.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I am afraid that I concur with Sledge again, years of experience with UEFA/FIFA should tell you that nothing will happen to Dida whatsoever.
Ah, that's probably true. I was arguing that he should have been punished tho & that there's a law to support that decision.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Honestly, as passionate fans of the sport, you guys must surely be disgusted by seeing that?

The sport already has a reputation for that kind of behaviour, and thats now being shown on the screens worldwide.

I'm a casual soccer (football for you pedantics) fan, but that's just embarassing. Downright embarassing.