• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Catch drops/ Missed stumpings that might have resulted in Series loss

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Dean Brownlie had a bit if a shocker 4th innings of final test v Englabd 2012/13. Dropped 2 at 4th slip/gully, both Bairstow I think (or 1 Bairstow, 1 Root?).

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Doesn't really count as a drop but Lyon fumbling the simple return to run Leach out was one of the biggest chokes ever. Cost Australia a series win too. Would it have changed the WTC qualification equation for them?

Boult kinda dropped the world cup too in the same year.
100% would have changed WTC qualification. Australia only missed out on the finals because of overrate point deductions in the 3rd test vs india. Points from a series win in england would have guaranteed them, not sure if they would have removed nz or ind from the finals though

Slifer

International Captain
Healy's was in a drawn series. As was Marcuss Harris' drop of the violent thug in the last Ashes. Certainly two important chances though.

Carlton Baugh dropping Steve Waugh 1995 was crucial. As was Herschelle Gibbs' in the 99 WC.
Actually, Courtney Browne. Still hate the man til this day....jk

thierry henry

International Coach
Yeah, I'm surprised he never copped more flack for that. I get that in the moment the freak deflection, incorrectly awarded runs and controversial tie-breaker distracted from it and are rightly pointed to as reasons why NZ didn't win but turning a straightforward catch into a six in a tight WC final would usually be labeled as an ATG choke moment, wouldn't it? And I say that as a Boult fan
On the contrary, I think basically all NZ cricket fans I've spoken to agree that was the turning point. It went from being an almost certain NZ win back to a tight game based on that one very uncharacteristic error. Boult has also pretty much conceded that he is traumatised by it and doesn't want to talk about it.

I just think that so much more happened in the game after that, that it's inevitably not going to be a case of everyone focusing on the one incident.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Not a catch, but:
Martin to Harbhajan, 1 run
Run-out chance! Vettori is down on his back in disappointment full ball, driven wide of mid-off, calls for a single, has to run around Martin, and is short by a long way. And Vettori's throw from mid-off is wide by a long way too

Last edited: