• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cataloguing all Zing Bail fails

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Roy just did a good segment on this. He weighed a normal wooden bail which was 22 grams. The zing bail is 45g - double!!

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They should check the stumps as well. The hollowish plastic ones probably absorb shock better.

Spikey

two posts that OS needs to catalogue

Lol was that another zing bail fail? Didnt matter since buttler was in I suppose, but the throw hit the stumps and the bails didnt fall off
Someone update the zing bail thread
and today's effort

14.6 T Sangha to Russell, no run
how did the bails not come off?! Flighted full on middle, Russell slogs this off an inside edge that caroms off his inside foot and then back onto the stumps. Not just a small trickle either. A full on genuine thud into middle and off stump. The heavy zing bails don't want to move. Traditional wooden ones would have definitely been dislodged.

Sydney Thunder-Melbourne Stars 10th Match (N), Sydney, Dec 12 2021, Big Bash League

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Henry Nicholls was bowled by Ashwin but the zinger bails did not dislodge. You can add that here. From the 2nd test at Mumbai just a week or so ago.

Spikey

The IPL followers do a terrible job updating this thread. surely they have fails every season as well

OverratedSanity

two posts that OS needs to catalogue
2nd Test India vs NZ, Over 31.5:

Ashwin to Nicholls, no run
Oh my, he's done it again, but with a slightly different angle this time. A bit closer to the stumps and once again lands and spins past the outside edge. Very close to both bat and off-stump, not touching either

Replays showed that the ball had actually brushed the stumps. The bails moved, but didn't fall. Unlucky for Ashwin, lucky for Nicholls.

OverratedSanity

Lol was that another zing bail fail? Didnt matter since buttler was in I suppose, but the throw hit the stumps and the bails didnt fall off
This one was in the ashes test, England first innings where buttler almost ran himself, can someone find video? It's not even on the text commentary, but I swear it happened. Buttler was already in so no one focused on the bail not falling off.

_Ed_

Goswami to Sciver, no run
Sciver is smiling and nodding - the ball has rolled back onto the stumps but the bails stay intact. What luck for her after that dismissal in the last game. Full on middle, Sciver drives, the ball rolls off the pad and onto the stumps, surprisingly the bails don't fall and that's a lucky escape for Sciver. The Indians can't quite believe it

ParwazHaiJunoon

First Class Debutant

Shaheen Shah Afridi to Tim David
Look at this. Full ball, yorker goes through the defense of David and flicks the off stump but the bails did not come off amazing

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Shaheen Shah Afridi to Tim David
Look at this. Full ball, yorker goes through the defense of David and flicks the off stump but the bails did not come off amazing

Made in Singapore ?

SillyCowCorner1

Here's another one:

Rashid Khan to Maxwell, 4 byes
The ball hits the stumps but the bails don't come off! Googly landing on off spins past Maxwell's slog sweep first ball. Rashid sees one of the zing bails on leg stump light up and runs off with his right arm and index finger raised in celebration before realizing that the bails have not completely dislodged as the ball goes to the fine leg rope for four byes.

kaetor

U19 Cricketer
I'm not fully convinced of this. It's not like it didn't happen before. There's a good chance the bail weight is fairly negligible at 45g vs 22g given the expected force of a ball hitting the stump and it remains more to do with how the ball hits the stump.

I'd say a lot of the bail not coming off has more to do with the stumps being too rigid in the ground than anything. Or perhaps a different make up of the stump, maybe the stump mic / camera tech contributes to this. I'd say it's more likely imo.

The zing bails I find do seem to light up a bit quick - I know it's instant the moment that both sides of the bail no longer have a contact patch to complete the circuit and keep the switch open, but that's certainly different to the human interpretation of 'if the bail is off' that a third ump might have to make.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I have always believed if a ball hits the stump/bail it should be out whether they come off or not should not matter .

The purpose of bowled is to hit the wicket and not uproot it.
Completely agreed and exactly my thought too.