• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Casson trades in Perth for Sydney

Haddin

U19 Debutant
You don't follow players like Thornley do you? Well, he had a decent year last year, as did Brad Haddin. Won't go on about what happend where the Blues ended up.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Craig said:
NSW would be a bit desperate if they choose to go for Hauritz. It wouldn't surprise me if Hauritz got a contract given that he has played Test and ODI cricket.

That said there is less competition for Daniel Doran, who if he continues like he did last season then Hauritz would never get a game for Queensland, unless playing on a spinning wicket.
Doran was living on the Tweed there for a little while...wish we'd convinced him to have a game for us! He could have really gone places that kid :happy:

Son Of Coco

Mister Wright said:
That's a bit rough on allrounders to have Thornley named in their company. I think most batsman would be insulted having Thornley named as a batsman.
Well...if it's good enough for Symonds :sleep:

Mister Wright

Haddin said:
You don't follow players like Thornley do you? Well, he had a decent year last year, as did Brad Haddin. Won't go on about what happend where the Blues ended up.
I follow the crap players like Thornely to make sure their still being crap.

Haddin

U19 Debutant
If you support Queensland, then this all makes perfect sense. We have better talent coming through...

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thought you said you'd thrown away the Maroon-tinted glasses, Kyle. Thornely will probably not play Test cricket but Hopes a better batsman? Hopes averages 29 after 35 matches with 3 tons whereas Dom averages almost 20 more with twice as many tons in the same number of matches. Hopes is a vastly superior bowler, though.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Haddin said:
45.86, 21st in the averages - hardly world-beating.

Mister Wright

Top_Cat said:
Thought you said you'd thrown away the Maroon-tinted glasses, Kyle. Thornely will probably not play Test cricket but Hopes a better batsman? Hopes averages 29 after 35 matches with 3 tons whereas Dom averages almost 20 more with twice as many tons in the same number of matches. Hopes is a vastly superior bowler, though.
There's no maroon-tinted anything going on here. Everyone will tell you I'm fair when it comes to Qlders realistic abilities, there's no way I would blindly come on here and proclaim Clinton Perren should be in the Australian side, and until recently I thought Johnson was an average bowler (at best). Everyone knows how much I hate people rating Thornely - he's crap, no two ways about it, whatever he's doing (he's good at fielding, that's about it). There's not much between Hopes and Thornely in the batting department, and as you've said Hopes is a far superior bowler.

andyc

Mister Wright said:
There's not much between Hopes and Thornely in the batting department, and as you've said Hopes is a far superior bowler.
But then, as TC said, why is that Hopes averages 28.84 and Thornely 46.42?

Mister Wright

andyc said:
But then, as TC said, why is that Hopes averages 28.84 and Thornely 46.42?
Hopes plays a different role to Thornely when they bat. Thornely bats top 4 and Hopes bats six and is usually having to force the pace and be aggressive, meaning he's more likely to get out going for his shots more often. Before Thornely's 200* his average was around 22 or 25, and I'd be surprised if his average since that innings is much more than 35.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Hopes plays a different role to Thornely when they bat. Thornely bats top 4 and Hopes bats six and is usually having to force the pace and be aggressive, meaning he's more likely to get out going for his shots more often. Before Thornely's 200* his average was around 22 or 25, and I'd be surprised if his average since that innings is much more than 35.
His average without his 261* is 41.59. Not exactly disgraceful.

Incidentally, Hopes average without his highest score is 25.33. His bowling average without his best bowling figures is 44.16. You can do that with most people.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
Not exactly "crap" either though. Let alone what you'd expect from someone who isn't even a batsman.
15 wickets @ 52.33. I know Aussies are obsessed about finding an all-rounder, but that's stretching it more than a little.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
marc71178 said:
15 wickets @ 52.33. I know Aussies are obsessed about finding an all-rounder, but that's stretching it more than a little.
I think the "Let alone what you'd expect from someone who isn't even a batsman" was a spur back at post #15. He is definitely not an all rounder as far as first class cricket goes.

Hopes is a handy domestic bits and pieces one day player. You are having a laugh if you think his FC batting is anywhere near Thornley.