• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you take a hat-trick over two matches?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
As such, I prefer to point-out to people that there's nothing to get excited about at a bowler bowling a few 90mph deliveries or getting 3 wickets in 3 balls.
This is probably the most telling statement in the whole thread.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting you have to be endlessly happy and go along with everything that everyone else finds fun, but really, it takes a particularly sick sort of a mind to get what is apparently your only enjoyment from a sport you dedicate your time to from a) watching people you don't like fail and b) telling people they shouldn't enjoy something because you think it's stupid. And they are indded the only things you seem to get any satisfaction from in your 20 odd thousand posts here.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
This is probably the most telling statement in the whole thread.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting you have to be endlessly happy and go along with everything that everyone else finds fun, but really, it takes a particularly sick sort of a mind to get what is apparently your only enjoyment from a sport you dedicate your time to from a) watching people you don't like fail and b) telling people they shouldn't enjoy something because you think it's stupid. And they are indded the only things you seem to get any satisfaction from in your 20 odd thousand posts here.
Clearly you don't really understand me and cricket, then.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Oh yes it can.
6 different ways a wide can take a ball, I think.

Stumped, run out, handling the ball, obstruction of the field, timed out, hit the ball twice.

Might be 7. Can you be dismissed 'Hit wicket' off a wide?

Only 1 (maybe 2) credited to the bowler.

cpr

International Coach
What happens if you hit the ball, but drag it back onto the stumps (tricky off a wide, but theoretically possible)? If it counts, would you be classed as being bowled off a wide? Surely that'd be humiliating :)

C_C

International Captain
What happens if you hit the ball, but drag it back onto the stumps (tricky off a wide, but theoretically possible)
As far as i am aware, if you put bat on the ball before it crosses the stumps, it automatically cannot be wide.
Doesnt matter if you bowl a metre outside legstump in an ODI- if the batsman makes contact, its not a wide.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
As far as i am aware, if you put bat on the ball before it crosses the stumps, it automatically cannot be wide.
Doesnt matter if you bowl a metre outside legstump in an ODI- if the batsman makes contact, its not a wide.
That's right, yeah.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
cpr said:
What happens if you hit the ball, but drag it back onto the stumps (tricky off a wide, but theoretically possible)? If it counts, would you be classed as being bowled off a wide? Surely that'd be humiliating :)
Impossible off a wide.

If you hit it, then it cannot be called a wide.

The umpire shall not adjudge a delivery as being a Wide
(a) if the striker, by moving,
either (i) causes the ball to pass wide of him, as defined in 1(b) above
or (ii) brings the ball sufficiently within his reach to be able to hit it with his bat by means of a normal cricket stroke.

(b) if the ball touches the striker's bat or person

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
cpr said:
A delivery can't be a wide if the batsman hits it.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
luckyeddie said:
6 different ways a wide can take a ball, I think.

Stumped, run out, handling the ball, obstruction of the field, timed out, hit the ball twice.

Might be 7. Can you be dismissed 'Hit wicket' off a wide?

Only 1 (maybe 2) credited to the bowler.
Yes, you can be hit wicket off a wide.