• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

archie mac

International Coach
jlo33692 said:
Would it be Victor Richardson to Authur Gilligan on radio bbc 3 london cricket commentary?
I thought it was ABC radio, but could be wrong, that is the answer though.

Well done Jlo, your turn :)

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
archie mac said:
I thought it was ABC radio, but could be wrong, that is the answer though.

Well done Jlo, your turn :)
YES you beauty,,,first time ive got one hahaha
archie it prob was ABC,i just read bbc london in somewhere and presumed that was it.
Anyway my question is this.
Who or Whom ,if anyone, is the only person to have opened the batting in Test cricket but not have been dismissed? This is meaning never played again so has never been dismissed at test level.

Last edited:

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
Time limits up Archie Sorry mate.
New question
Only joking mat haha .what happens if someone dont answer by the time i am not on it,Not that i dont expect someone to not get it,That SJS is a walking encyclopedia hahah,but what happens if the question isnt answered can it be left until it is gotten?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
jlo33692 said:
Time limits up Archie Sorry mate.
New question
Only joking mat haha .what happens if someone dont answer by the time i am not on it,Not that i dont expect someone to not get it,That SJS is a walking encyclopedia hahah,but what happens if the question isnt answered can it be left until it is gotten?
If a person asks a question which no one manages to answer, he gives some clues and even if it is unanswerable then, he asks another question. There is no specific time limit for this. :)

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
Pratyush said:
If a person asks a question which no one manages to answer, he gives some clues and even if it is unanswerable then, he asks another question. There is no specific time limit for this. :)
Thanks Pratyush,I didnt recognise you with your new image(avator)haha
Do i need to give a clue or do i wait until asked Pratyush?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
jlo33692 said:
Thanks Pratyush,I didnt recognise you with your new image(avator)haha
Do i need to give a clue or do i wait until asked Pratyush?
Its your call.

I would wait for some time if I were you. ;)

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
Thanks Pratyush i will leave it a while as someone will know it ,I just altered the question a tad as it really didnt explain what i was trying to get at.
It is meant as a test batsman who has played,opened the batting,was not dismissed and then finished and never played again ,so has the distinction of never being out in test cricket.

archie mac

International Coach
jlo33692 said:
Thanks Pratyush i will leave it a while as someone will know it ,I just altered the question a tad as it really didnt explain what i was trying to get at.
It is meant as a test batsman who has played,opened the batting,was not dismissed and then finished and never played again ,so has the distinction of never being out in test cricket.
Stuart Law comes to mind, but I don't think he opened?

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
No,,archie
No Jamie
What i will give you is this part of the answer

After checking the batting positions of the 54 players who have batted but not been dismissed in Test cricket I can confirm you are indeed right in naming only one person who has opened but not dismissed.
All but five batted in the last four positions of the order, mostly at number 11.

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
Neil Pickup said:
Andy Lloyd. Warwickshire. Got sconed.
Well done Neilo,
Good get m8,did you know that one or have to research?
Here is the question i pinched the bit from with the answer underneath.
Again Well done m8 ,your go.

Am I right in saying that Andy Lloyd is the only person to have opened the batting in Test cricket but not have been dismissed? ????????????????????????????????????

A fascinating question, Dave. After checking the batting positions of the 54 players who have batted but not been dismissed in Test cricket I can confirm you are indeed right.

................................................................................................................................
All but five batted in the last four positions of the order, mostly at number 11. Apart from Lloyd (batted at number two), the first Shropshire-born cricketer to represent England in a home Test and whose Test career was ended after 33 minutes when he was struck on the temple of his helmet by a sharply lifting ball from Malcolm Marshall at Edgbaston in June 1984, the exceptions are C W L Parker (England number three in second innings
of rain-ruined match), P A Emery (Australia number four night-watchman), S G Law (Australia number six), and H J H Marshall (New Zealand number seven).

After his first two innings, James Anderson remains the most recent, and almost certainly a temporary, member of that club.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
Andy Lloyd. Warwickshire. Got sconed.
Neil is correct. Timothy Lloyd did open for England against Windies at Edgbaston in June 84, scored ten runs before retiring hurt never to bat again in a test match....

BUT

... there is another.

Ali Hussain Rizwi opened for Pakistan against South Africa at Sheikhupura in October 97, scored 30 in Pakistan's first innings before rain interrupted play and the rest of the game was washed out. He never played for Pakistan again and I suppose is unlikely to in future though he is still only 31 years old.

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
archie mac said:
Stuart Law comes to mind, but I don't think he opened?
Archie you were on the right track there mate,as Law is mentioned in the answer as one of the guys but he did not open .They have him batting at number 6,which is strange as he was an opener for his state.But you were on the right track archie.

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
SJS said:
Neil is correct. Timothy Lloyd did open for England against Windies at Edgbaston in June 84, scored ten runs before retiring hurt never to bat again in a test match....

BUT

... there is another.

Ali Hussain Rizwi opened for Pakistan against South Africa at Sheikhupura in October 97, scored 30 in Pakistan's first innings before rain interrupted play and the rest of the game was washed out. He never played for Pakistan again and I suppose is unlikely to in future though he is still only 31 years old.
SJS,Unless we are talking of a different guy i am afraid your record book is not up to date mate.
I can and will stand to be corrected as you are amazing with the knowlege you posses,but my records show him as playing in this test but he did not bat ,he was a bowler and bowled quite a few overs, The guy you are refering to(i think) an Ali Naqvi ,he made 30 not out but that guy went on and played another 4 tests and all together had 9 innings.
When i first read it i also thought it was the guy you refer to,but on closer inspection you will find he was the bowler. I hope you are right mate as it is a fantastic get,but the book im looking at dont say that,anyway here is the references i am looking at.

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/pakistan/content/player/38993.html

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:...767.html+Ali+Hussain+Rizvi&hl=en&client=opera

Cheers mate

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
jlo33692 said:
SJS,Unless we are talking of a different guy i am afraid your record book is not up to date mate.
I can and will stand to be corrected as you are amazing with the knowlege you posses,but my records show him as playing 5 tests and 9 innings,.Maybe you were misunderstanding the question,These batsman have never gone out and then didnt play after ,so they have never been dismissed in test cricket,Anyway i hope im wrong,as that is an amazing get if your correct,so here is my link to this batsman http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/pakistan/content/player/38994.html
Is he the same guy you are refering to?

Thanks mate
No jlo I am referring to This Ali Hussain Rizvi and as you can see, my information is correct. :)

Here is the complete score card of the match. Pak vs SAF 17 Oct 1997 Sheilkhupura

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Surprise, surprise !!

Cricinfo disagrees with howstat !!

Here is the score card of the same match from Crickinfo : -

Same match different opener !!

Cricinfo has Ali Naqvi opening and Ali Rizvi scheduled to bat later while Howstat has it in reverse !!

Amazing !!

They both show different career figures for both players !!

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
SJS said:
Surprise, surprise !!

Cricinfo disagrees with howstat !!

Here is the score card of the same match from Crickinfo : -

Same match different opener !!

Cricinfo has Ali Naqvi opening and Ali Rizvi scheduled to bat later while Howstat has it in reverse !!

Amazing !!

They both show different career figures for both players !!
Well done mate,It does indeed have them both around the wrong way.
I had to triple check the one i was looking at as i have not seen you get a stat wrong yet.
I knew there had to be something wrong somewhere for you to have a mixed signal,Whatever way is correct that was an amazing get for you to find that knowlege mate. Quite amazing ,where and how do you retain all this cricket knowlege?
SJS,how can we find out which record is the correct one,as ive never saw two differing views onwho opened. very rare,they didnt slip past the cricketweb guru though hahaha
Well done SJS,your still the guru. Too good m8