• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can Ponting overtake Tendulkar?

Will Ponting break Tendulkar's records?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Inshallah, Ponting will overatake Sachin. ALLAH blessing is with him.
Let me see if I have your situation right. A fire has broken out in your own house. You have a bucket of water that might put it out. But you run to your neighbours house and throw it on his bed because you think he wont get a cozy bed for that night.

I really really pity you, man.

bagapath

International Captain
sneak preview into the Wisden 2027 almanac celebrating 150 years of test cricket:

the greatest batsman of all time: donald bradman
the 9 best after him: viv richards, jack hobbs, walter hammond, gary sobers, brian lara, sachin tendulkar, len hutton, george headley, sunil gavaskar
the 25 best after them : victor trumper, greg chappell, allan border, javed miandad, ricky ponting, clyde walcott, everton weekes, frank worrell, greame pollock, rahul dravid, jacques kallis, denis compton, kevin pietersen, gordon greenidge, geoff boycott, matt hayden, mahela jayawardane, kumar sangakakra, steve waugh, adam gilchrist, virender sehwag, herbert sutcliffe, neil harvey, inzamam ul haq, mohammad yousuff

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
excluding minnows sachin average 52.20 overseas. ponting averages 48.44.
You forgot the neutral tests; that pushes Ponting to 49.96. 50 v 52, like I said.

Lol, I would take a Richard vs. TooExtraCool debate over a Ikki vs. Sir Alex debate anyday.

At least theirs was less bias and more-so just a pure difference of opinion.
Said Tendulkar's #1 fanboy on this forum. Anyway, other than keeping up with him, I don't know what I've said is biased.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
You forgot the neutral tests; that pushes Ponting to 49.96. .
you're right ikki. one averages above 50 and the other one, below. let us ignore the silly 0.04 and assume bradman averaged an even hundred and ponting averages 50 overseas.

now, I am not going to hold the two and half run advantage sachin has over ponting overseas as the be all and end all of everything. I can; but I wont.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, let's hold that 0.04 because the arbitrary 50 mark is the difference here. I am sure Ricky is sleepless over those 3 runs he needs for an even 50[/sarcasm]

And people have the cheek to call me biased.

Last edited:

jeevan

International 12th Man
Let me summarize lkki's argument because the dude just goes on and on.

1. Let's drop one data point from Ponting's resume. Pick his record in India (avg 21) because.
2. Let's drop one data point from Tendulkar's. Pick his record against BD because he plays 2 games against them every 5 years. (7 games in 20 years)
3. Let's call Tendulkar's record inflated because he plays half his games in India. It does not matter that his average in India & abroad is the same, nor does it matter that only 1 out of the next five top Indian batsmen of his time have done better at home.
4. Let's ignore the fact that Ponting OTOH averages 10 more at home than away. Again, because.

(BTW on the last one, he crawls up to 50 away because he averages 96 in BD, 97 in NZ, 119 in Pakistan, 97 in UAE vs Pak, and 78 in WI.
He's averages 55 vs SA,SL and 44 in Eng. So it's not like his abysmal record in India is being evened out with away records against the other leading teams).

All this thread has done is make me wonder what the big fuss about Ponting is all about.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Thanks for butchering my points, but let me clarify just for your sake.

Let me summarize lkki's argument because the dude just goes on and on.

1. Let's drop one data point from Ponting's resume. Pick his record in India (avg 21) because.
I am not saying let's drop India from his record, it's something he has to live with. I am saying don't let Tendulkar averging 2.whatever runs more fool you into thinking that automatically makes his away form better. No, Ponting's OVERALL away average takes a hit because of his one very poor record in India. Elsewhere, his record is much better than Tendulkar's record elsewhere. He either scores more runs in many places than Tendulkar or even when he scores less he scores still a more than significant amount.

If a Batsman were to average 70 everywhere but 10 in one country and average 50 overall; and another averaged 50 everywhere but 39 in one, yet his overall average was 51, who do you really think has the better away form? Not IMO, but I have hunch it does for you.

2. Let's drop one data point from Tendulkar's. Pick his record against BD because he plays 2 games against them every 5 years. (7 games in 20 years)
Ponting has played 3 innings away against Minnows in his career...which is much less than Tendulkar's. Of course you have to remove them, it shouldn't even need to be said.

3. Let's call Tendulkar's record inflated because he plays half his games in India. It does not matter that his average in India & abroad is the same, nor does it matter that only 1 out of the next five top Indian batsmen of his time have done better at home.
It doesn't matter if his away record is better. It means if his home pitches were even more competitive that gap would have been more and his overall average lower. Tendulkar scored more runs in the 90s than he did in the 00s (more when harder, less when easier), it doesn't mean the 00s were as tough.

Not that I care about this point since I don't think it would have helped Tendulkar much. It's also hard to quantify the amount since we are talking about scoring 100s, not 1-2 runs more per dismissal as is usually illustrated as the difference between pitches. IMO scoring 100s is still hard. In fact, this is my original post which has been overlooked due to people's sensitivity.

Sachin is far from a home flat track bully but batting in India is generally better than in Australia.

4. Let's ignore the fact that Ponting OTOH averages 10 more at home than away. Again, because.
If Ponting averages 60 at home and 50 away, that's nothing to denigrate him for. In fact, it's something to praise him for. Would it be better if it was 55 vs 50 just so the difference was smaller? That's a crap point.

(BTW on the last one, he crawls up to 50 away because he averages 96 in BD, 97 in NZ, 119 in Pakistan, 97 in UAE vs Pak, and 78 in WI.
He's averages 55 vs SA,SL and 44 in Eng. So it's not like his abysmal record in India is being evened out with away records against the other leading teams).
Nah, we removed minnows so BD didn't count and yes, averaging 119 in Pak is something, and 97 against them in neutral ground even more impressive. I keep reiterating; that pitch wasn't meant for batting on so that high average is superlative, not misleading. And then 55 vs SA, 50 against SL and 44 against England. So only 1 poor record. Thanks for playing.

All this thread has done is make me wonder what the big fuss about Ponting is all about.
With your logic I am not surprised.

Last edited:

Sir Alex

Banned
Ponting has played 3 innings away against Minnows in his career...which is much less than Tendulkar's. Of course you have to remove them, it shouldn't even need to be said.

Ikki it is very convenient of you to sidestep the argument that West Indies post 2002 has not been minnow like. The fact is Ponting has "succeeded" among the top test teams only in South Africa, while Tendulkar has failed only there (even not by much).

I;d certainly take averages of 40, 62 and 58 against the top 3 teams than 20, 44, and 50-odd.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Not that I care about this point since I don't think it would have helped Tendulkar much. It's also hard to quantify the amount since we are talking about scoring 100s, not 1-2 runs more per dismissal as is usually illustrated as the difference between pitches. IMO scoring 100s is still hard. In fact, this is my original post which has been overlooked due to people's sensitivity.

Is that all you were talking about?

In that case it's frickin easy, dont know why pages after pages are called for.

100's overall: SRT: 47 in 270 tries (17.4%) , Ponting: 39 in 240 tries (16.3%)

v Aus: 10/55 (18.2%), NA v Ind: NA, 6/41 (14.6%)
v SA: 5/39 (12.8%), 8/39 (20.5%)
v Eng: 7/39 (17.9%), 8/50 (16%)
v SL 8/31 (25.8%), 1/19 (5.3%)

These have been the top test teams during their careers. Sachin overall and in 3/4 of the top teams. Ponting better against SA.

(They split the rest: Ponting better vs Pak, WI, Zim. Sachin vs NZ,BD).

This way we don't even have to quibble over the relative bowling strengths of Aus vs Ind which leads to another 25 pages of Warne eating some weed, McGrath stepping on a ball etc etc.

bagapath

International Captain
Yes, let's hold that 0.04 because the arbitrary 50 mark is the difference here. I am sure Ricky is sleepless over those 3 runs he needs for an even 50[/sarcasm]
i did not want to hold the 0.04 ikki, because i know it is silly. and that is what i had said. I said "let us assume" he averaged 50. did not say "let us pretend" ; that would have been sarcastic. i dont want to waste my quota of sarcasm for 0.04 points.

but i could use the 2.5 point advantage sachin holds over ponting to prove he doesnt need home advantage to score runs. I just dont want to.

And people have the cheek to call me biased.
but you are biased !! ;)

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Ikki it is very convenient of you to sidestep the argument that West Indies post 2002 has not been minnow like. The fact is Ponting has "succeeded" among the top test teams only in South Africa, while Tendulkar has failed only there (even not by much).

I;d certainly take averages of 40, 62 and 58 against the top 3 teams than 20, 44, and 50-odd.
They have been weak but not B/Z level and it doesn't matter since Tendulkar got to play them enough and didn't score as many runs against them. Ponting played them at their weakest 6 times away and Tendulkar 5 times. If Tendulkar played Bangladesh 9 times and Ponting 8, yet Tendulkar averages 100 and Ponting averages 40, then that's Ponting's fault. Whether they're easier or not as good is irrelevant because they both had a chance to cash in.

That's the last on it because I am boring myself, let alone others, by repeating the same thing again and again.

Is that all you were talking about?

In that case it's frickin easy, dont know why pages after pages are called for.

100's overall: SRT: 47 in 270 tries (17.4%) , Ponting: 39 in 240 tries (16.3%)

v Aus: 10/55 (18.2%), NA v Ind: NA, 6/41 (14.6%)
v SA: 5/39 (12.8%), 8/39 (20.5%)
v Eng: 7/39 (17.9%), 8/50 (16%)
v SL 8/31 (25.8%), 1/19 (5.3%)

These have been the top test teams during their careers. Sachin overall and in 3/4 of the top teams. Ponting better against SA.

(They split the rest: Ponting better vs Pak, WI, Zim. Sachin vs NZ,BD).

This way we don't even have to quibble over the relative bowling strengths of Aus vs Ind which leads to another 25 pages of Warne eating some weed, McGrath stepping on a ball etc etc.
Yes, that is what I was referring to. It turned into a vs debate because a few people are sensitive to a few truths and think by tearing walls down they're going to get anywhere. And per your own point, Sachin doesn't face Ind and Ponting Aus so it's irrelevant that they're the top teams.

Anyway, you could also look at it like this, removing B/Z:

Ponting has 37 100s in 237 innings = 16.02%
Tendulkar has 39 100s in 248 innings = 15.73%

As I said in my original post; and still stands: the difference between them now is really that Tendulkar has played more against minnows and more innings overall. They've got pretty much the same 100s per inning ratio so it's only a matter of time and if Ponting can sustain this level.

You can argue everything else till the cows come home, I am done with it.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
i did not want to hold the 0.04 ikki, because i know it is silly. and that is what i had said. I said "let us assume" he averaged 50. did not say "let us pretend" ; that would have been sarcastic. i dont want to waste my quota of sarcasm for 0.04 points.

but i could use the 2.5 point advantage sachin holds over ponting to prove he doesnt need home advantage to score runs. I just dont want to.
My point was never that Sachin needed home advantage. Something that's been overlooked here. As I said, the two points where Ponting and Sachin really differ are:

1) Tendulkar has played minnows more often and accumulated many more 100s
2) Tendulkar has been playing cricket longer and thus has accumlated more 100s.

Sir Alex

Banned
They have been weak but not B/Z level and it doesn't matter since Tendulkar got to play them enough and didn't score as many runs against them. Ponting played them at their weakest 6 times away and Tendulkar 5 times. If Tendulkar played Bangladesh 9 times and Ponting 8, yet Tendulkar averages 100 and Ponting averages 40, then that's Ponting's fault. Whether they're easier or not as good is irrelevant because they both had a chance to cash in.

That's the last on it because I am boring myself, let alone others, by repeating the same thing again and again.

Yes, that is what I was referring to. It turned into a vs debate because a few people are sensitive to a few truths and think by tearing walls down they're going to get anywhere. And per your own point, Sachin doesn't face Ind and Ponting Aus so it's irrelevant that they're the top teams.

Anyway, you could also look at it like this, removing B/Z:

Ponting has 37 100s in 237 innings = 16.02%
Tendulkar has 39 100s in 248 innings = 15.73%

As I said in my original post; and still stands: the difference between them now is really that Tendulkar has played more against minnows and more innings overall. They've got pretty much the same 100s per inning ratio so it's only a matter of time and if Ponting can sustain this level.

You can argue everything else till the cows come home, I am done with it.
But the Zimbabwe that Tendulkar played was better than today's Windies and Pakistan!

:ph34r:

JBH001

International Regular
Think Tendulkar the better bat, albeit not by much.

I also think his, that is Sachin's, record against SA at home indicates little, if that.

Finally, at the moment it looks like Ponting wont overtake Tendulkar. It may happen, but I hope not. If he does though, all props to Ponting.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
But the Zimbabwe that Tendulkar played was better than today's Windies and Pakistan!

:ph34r:
And remember what I had said then? When Zimbabwe were better (circa 2001) Tendulkar has scored less 100s against them and more against WIndies. So if we swapped them around it would hurt his record. It doesn't really matter, 1 100 here or there is unlikely to be the difference between them.

Think about it; Ponting has played less cricket, for less time, yet if you remove minnows he is only 2 100s behind. Since he is younger, it's more than likely he'd surpass that difference. The reason it may look doubtful is that in reality he is 8 100s behind. Why? Because Tendulkar accumulated more 100s, playing more, and a good chunk of them came from minnows. That's the point. Do you disagree with that?

My point is that to counter that Ponting has to play more minnows and more cricket. It sounds crude, but that's the truth.

Last edited:

jeevan

International 12th Man
You really want to open the can of worms that the Zimbabwe that SRT scored all his 3 tons against (all prior to 2002) were no more of a minnow than the post 2001 WI that Ponting scored 6 of his 7 against?

Sir Alex

Banned
My point was never that Sachin needed home advantage. Something that's been overlooked here. As I said, the two points where Ponting and Sachin really differ are:

1) Tendulkar has played minnows more often and accumulated many more 100s
2) Tendulkar has been playing cricket longer and thus has accumlated more 100s.
Tendulkar did not play as many test matches as Ponting did during their respective peaks, or atleast same number of test matches due to the ODI deluge of the late 90s and early 00s. Also despite being a year and half apart Tendulkar debuted 6-7 years before Ponting is certainly his achievement.

Of course there is the matter of Ponting getting to play today's West Indies and Pakistan of today. :ph34r:

Maximus0723

State Regular
Sachin batted against far stronger attack then Ricky has for longer period of time. that lowered his average and if ricky did same, he would be lower then 55.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.