• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can Pathan be as good as Wasim?

Raj123

U19 Debutant
Lets take this for example, Micheal Bevan averages 55 in ODIs, would you label him better then Sachin Tendulkar.
sachin opens-gets out almost every time
bevan-late in the order, ends up being not out lot more often

Raj123

U19 Debutant
for all those who say that comparison between pathan and akram is done only by biased indian supporters, here's an article from sarfaraz:

"Akram had more advantage with his broad shoulders but otherwise they both are quite similar. Pathan could be the next Akram,"
http://in.rediff.com/cricket/2004/apr/04sarfraz.htm

not that i agree with him(after all he is only 3 matches old) but it seems like it is the pakistani greats(imran, sarf etc) and pak supporters(like the starter of this thread) [along with some indian supporters too, ofcourse] that are touting him as to being the next akram.

Last edited:

shankar

International Debutant
Raj123 said:
just shows picking a good batsman few times doesnt necessarily make you a good bowler
I never said Nehra was a good test bowler because he's picked Lara 3 times. I just mentioned it because it was interesting. I was asking Marc how come he rates Shabbir so highly after just a few matches whereas he advocates showing restraint in rating Pathan so early.

Swervy

International Captain
Raj123 said:
just shows picking a good batsman few times doesnt necessarily make you a good bowler
no but a test average of 23 does hint that harmison is a good bowler

masterblaster

International Captain
It sure does indicate he is a good bowler and Harmison most definitely is a good bowler.

He's taller than Pathan, he's got a larger frame than Pathan, he gets more bounce than Pathan, but he got absolutely pasted by Australia.

Pathan got pasted too, but troubled the likes of Ponting, Hayden and Gilchrist more than Harmison did.

They are two very different types of bowler, Pathan is the traditional swing bowler, whilst Harmison relies on bounce and pace.

As a cricket fan (and an Irfan Pathan fan), I appreciate what both these guys bring to the table.

I want to be entertained by different types of players, with different degrees of skill, and I am entertained when I watch both of these fine athletes in action.

What more else is there to say?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
That the Harmison of today is such a different bowler to the Harmison in Australia?
That one won't get off the ground.
You see, first impressions are everything.

Personally, I think the following early performances should be noted...

Don Bradman - 18 and 1 on debut v England. Pah. And he got dropped, but they brought him back for the third test. What sort of signal does that send out? Be consistent. He's either good enough or he isn't.

Shane Warne - 3 tests into his career, his career analysis stood at 1-335. Does that warrant further faith on behalf of the selectors? What a waste of space.

Jeff Thomson - 0-110 against Pakistan, then out the side for two years. What on earth possessed them to bring him back?

Graham Gooch - started his career with a pair.

There are hundreds of others.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
If Harmison decides to play for India, he will be picked ahead of Zaheer, Ajit, Irfan, Nehra & Balaji. When fit, Harmison is better than all the Indian Pacers.

In India, Media builds a huge hype every time a new kid gets a top order wicket. Zaheer Khan in Kenya and Irfan in Australia are prime examples (Both times the batsman was Steve Waugh, I think).

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
Sanz said:
If Harmison decides to play for India, he will be picked ahead of Zaheer, Ajit, Irfan, Nehra & Balaji. When fit, Harmison is better than all the Indian Pacers.

In India, Media builds a huge hype every time a new kid gets a top order wicket. Zaheer Khan in Kenya and Irfan in Australia are prime examples (Both times the batsman was Steve Waugh, I think).
While I agree that the Indian media is quick to jump to build up any promising fast bowler (which hurts the reputation of the media, the player himself, and the cricketing fans who are fooled into thinking the next superstar fast bowler is coming), I am not convinced that Steve Harmison is so much better than every Indian fast bowler. Perhaps he has improved since the English tour of Australia in 2003, but his competition since then has been Bangladesh and West Indies. Bangladesh try hard at least it seems, and West Indies have a talented batting lineup, but I don't think one can claim a bowler has become so very good by pushing those two teams around. I think the visit by New Zealand will be a very good measure. If Harmison bowls well, that is in my opinion if he bowls with an average of around 27-28, and/or takes important wickets or breaks partnerships, or somehow otherwise makes his presence felt very strongly on the series, then I will agree that he has arrived to fulfill his potential. Until then, he is a bowler who has gotten some fairly light opposition.

But this thread is about Irfan Pathan and comparisons to Wasim Akram. I think anyone who makes such comparisons does Pathan a disservice. The young man is 19 years of age, why are we in such a rush to anoint him the next great left arm fast bowler? It places undue pressure on him, and magnifies any failures. Pathan has been built up so much that if he bowls poorly in this second India-Pakistan test match, he will be open to severe ridicule. His bowling should do the talking really.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Proud Indian said:
Lets see if he is as good as he is when he faces us in the natwest series...:rolleyes:
Which is a completely different ball game seeing as it's not Tests...

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
Pathan certainly has a long way to go in being compared to Wasim....this is his 2nd test series? Let's see what happens with him in the next few series to decide whether he can actually become a great fast bowler, which India sorely lacks.

wahindiawah

Banned
marc71178 said:
That the Harmison of today is such a different bowler to the Harmison in Australia?

Certainly!

Now his radar is switch on, and he's harming oponents batsmen rather than targetting his own players during net practice!

imranrabb said:
the next thread is going to be is gul going to be as good as mcgrath:lol:
There is some similarity between the two, and that is that both are fast bowlers.

Thats a different case that one is a legend and the other is an average test bowler