• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can Dale Steyn become the fastest bowler to 300 Test wickets?

BlazeDragon

Banned
The fact that he has a lot more to offer means that a lot of people still reserve their judgment.Yes, I hear what you're saying. 46 tests is a decent sample and some of the great pace bowlers of the past (Hall and Roberts, notably) have played about the same amount. But the fact that Steyn's career is still not finished means that subconsciously most cricket lovers view him as a work in progress.

He's a great bowler for mine and by the time he hangs up his boots, hopefully the legacy he leaves behind will be monumental.
From here on out in his career he will be tested on the longevity factor. If he can pull off an average of lets say around 22 I think its safe to say that he could be seen as a Top 5 ATG considering the era he is playing in.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
nah it's not so much about the average imo.
if he keeps his strike rate around 40, he'll go down as top 5.

avg of 24 with a strike rate of around 40 in this era = Top tier ATG.

avg of 24 now is like avging 21 to 22 a decade ago.

his current avg is 23.21

Howe_zat

Audio File
It's not so much the raw figures that do it for me so much as being miles ahead of the competition for a good few years. Who was the last quick bowler to really do that, besides McGrath? Pretty rare deal.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
It's not so much the raw figures that do it for me so much as being miles ahead of the competition for a good few years. Who was the last quick bowler to really do that, besides McGrath? Pretty rare deal.
this too.
doing well in different conditions is another factor.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
The fact that he has a lot more to offer means that a lot of people still reserve their judgment.Yes, I hear what you're saying. 46 tests is a decent sample and some of the great pace bowlers of the past (Hall and Roberts, notably) have played about the same amount. But the fact that Steyn's career is still not finished means that subconsciously most cricket lovers view him as a work in progress.

He's a great bowler for mine and by the time he hangs up his boots, hopefully the legacy he leaves behind will be monumental.
Yeah, I know what you mean in terms of the serious cricket fans with patience. But there is usually some segment of fans that brings up the discussion - even if it is early - when a player plays this damn well for a decent while. I reckon it's the curse of being S.African. If he was Aussie or Indian he would surely be lauded like the 2nd coming...

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, I know what you mean in terms of the serious cricket fans with patience. But there is usually some segment of fans that brings up the discussion - even if it is early - when a player plays this damn well for a decent while. I reckon it's the curse of being S.African. If he was Aussie or Indian he would surely be lauded like the 2nd coming...
or even if he was an english, his reputation would be at least twice as much as now.

there would be A LOT more comparisons going on between him and the other greats

in england most people rate him nothing near an ATG atm. they see him as just a fine bowler... like anderson, zaheer...

(probably because he hasn't done all that well against england so they haven't really seen what he's capable of)

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think that what counts against Steyn in the public's eye is his mediocre ODI record. Given the South African public's fascination with the one day game his efforts are probably not truly appreciated.

SeamUp

International Coach
Dont know what the curse of South African means or the South Africa'a fascination with the one-day game.

Steyn is well respected by all our fans and journos just like all the great fast-bowlers or all-rounders we have created. We just don't magnify things like bigging them up too much or knock them down too much when they are struggling like other countries do with their stars.

Dale Steyn has the ability to be a great and has the stats so far to indicate so but he still has a bit of work to do.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I think it is true that South African cricketers receive less fanfare and attention worldwide. I think it is true that if Steyn was Indian, Australian or English he'd be spoken of even higher than he already is.

I reckon the same is with de Villiers in a way.

Last edited:

weeman27bob

International Regular
I think it is true that South African cricketers receive less fanfare and attention worldwide. I think it is true that if Steyn was Indian, South African or English he'd be spoken of even higher than he already is.

I reckon the same is with de Villiers in a way.
Yeah, if only he were South African.

Hang on a moment...

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SA players not being hyped up? We're talking about Kallisball here aren't we?

SeamUp

International Coach
SA players not being hyped up? We're talking about Kallisball here aren't we?

Yeah, all of his forty test centuries growing up batting in tough batting conditions plus 23 000 plus international runs. Adapting to all over the world and scoring runs and then just to add something like over 500 international wickets and those catches at slip.

Its not like he has done anything to warrant legendary status. :wacko:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, all of his forty test centuries growing up batting in tough batting conditions plus 23 000 plus international runs. Adapting to all over the world and scoring runs and then just to add something like over 500 international wickets and those catches at slip.

Its not like he has done anything to warrant legendary status. :wacko:
Haha, you got me wrong. There was this period during the India SA series when people here started calling cricket Kallisball. Was referring to that :p

Kallis is a legend no doubt.

SeamUp

International Coach
Haha, you got me wrong. There was this period during the India SA series when people here started calling cricket Kallisball. Was referring to that :p

Oh sorry , I thought you were being sarcastic about the earlier comment of SA players not being hyped up. :oops: :D

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

CW loves Kallis (only some of CW anyway) but most of the cricketing world still underrates him.

Being underrated doesn't mean people think you are crap. People can think you are awesome, and yet still underrate you, as you are actually even more awesome than they think.