• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Calling all Off Spinners!

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
I'd be really interested in taking part (either as a player, or as part of the staff) of a spinner's academy, much like Dave Watt's pace bowling academy (WRT CW stuff).
Yeah i was considering asking Halsey and Pratush about that starting something like that up in CWXI as they a Co-Presidents of the LSU. Maybe i should start up a thread in CWXI.

mefly

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
What do you think of Dan Cullen? he is a high chance of replacing Warne in the 2nd Test against Bangladesh, Warne injured. Good chance in one dayers too.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
mefly said:
What do you think of Dan Cullen? he is a high chance of replacing Warne in the 2nd Test against Bangladesh, Warne injured. Good chance in one dayers too.
I don't think his ready for Test Cricket even against Bangladesh (as they are showing their no easy beats). Once he gets his averages below 30 in FC, then you can even start thinking about playing him in Tests. I would give Symonds another game, the extra batsmen would have been quite handy in the 1st innings.

adharcric

International Coach
chaminda_00 said:
I don't think his ready for Test Cricket even against Bangladesh (as they are showing their no easy beats). Once he gets his averages below 30 in FC, then you can even start thinking about playing him in Tests. I would give Symonds another game, the extra batsmen would have been quite handy in the 1st innings.
or Jacques?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
chaminda_00 said:
Here's one for you. Despite improving as a bowler, Cullen will never get his career Pura Cup average back below 30.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
Here's one for you. Despite improving as a bowler, Cullen will never get his career Pura Cup average back below 30.
Im not necessarly taking career average, Monty will never get his career average under 30, but he averaged under 30 last season. If he can go a season averaging under 30, his taken the next step to be good enough to play Test.

EDIT: Bad example Monty does have his average below 30 for the moment

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
mefly said:
cullen is also a handy batter
hasn't really shown it yet, his FC average of 14 is boosted a lot by 10 not outs out of 28 innings. If i was MacGill and he made the side i would be disappointed if i was batting below him. But then again he would probably prefer to bat at 9, then Clark or MacGill.

mefly

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Dan Cullen would be as good as Brett Lee against Bangladesh, he would probably bat better than most of the Australian batters did in 1st innings!

Blaze

Banned
Yeah I am an off spinner... Not a very good one but still decent enough to have played Wellington Under 17's :)

I am not a huge turner of the ball, just pretty accurate with my areas and smart. As a result I finished with a College Cricket average of 11 or something. Probably didn't move it enough off the pitch to go any further in the game and had a rest this summer.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I bowl both off spin and leg spin, although mainly off spin these days. Am I still eligible given your anti-leggie stance?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Blaze said:
Yeah I am an off spinner... Not a very good one but still decent enough to have played Wellington Under 17's

I am not a huge turner of the ball, just pretty accurate with my areas and smart. As a result I finished with a College Cricket average of 11 or something. Probably didn't move it enough off the pitch to go any further in the game and had a rest this summer.
Dasa said:
I'm an off-spinner. Mediocre, but it's still off-spin.
Prince EWS said:
I bowl both off spin and leg spin, although mainly off spin these days. Am I still eligible given your anti-leggie stance?
Nice to have you three on board.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
No part-timers, IMO, everyone bowls part-time off spin. Full timers only. In which case, I stick my hand up ;)

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Robertinho said:
No part-timers, IMO, everyone bowls part-time off spin. Full timers only. In which case, I stick my hand up ;)
Someone who bowls off spinners whenever they bowl, IMO. No pace bowlers who bowl some offies in the nets.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
Someone who bowls off spinners whenever they bowl, IMO. No pace bowlers who bowl some offies in the nets.
Yeah i have no problem with batsmen that bowl offie as part timers, pace bowlers who bowl them in the nets, need to be looked at though.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
vic_orthdox said:
Yeah, that's what I am. With the exception of one or two net sessions recently, my medium pace has always been shocking. I've been working on my offies a lot in recent years, but alas, I'm still crap. :D