• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bushfire Bash Game

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It makes for a good headline but perhaps the Red Cross might have a bit more experience in how to deal with recovery programmes than to simply redistribute the money immediately.
Yeah I'd be wary of jumping to conclusions unless you know what you're talking about. Highly doubt any of us here have any understanding at all of large scale disaster relief efforts.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah the 30 and retire thing was an obvious nod that they wanted the game to go a certain way but it was only in the last few they were trying very hard to get scores near each other etc. I felt. Mel Jones was good too. Added to the fun without overdoing it. Billy Bowdens of the world should learn from her.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah I'd be wary of jumping to conclusions unless you know what you're talking about. Highly doubt any of us here have any understanding at all of large scale disaster relief efforts.
Most of us do, given you've made over 32,000 disastrous posts.

tony p

First Class Debutant
good seeing courtney walsh again.
he along with richie richardson are probably my favourite 2 west indian players growing up, so good to see he hasn't lost it.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Looking back on this match, one thing I remember with a smile was Courtney Walsh saying that he'd never been charged before after Ponting jumped down the wicket to try and smash him.

Spark

Global Moderator
Nah, sorry. **** them. People need it now. People donate in situations like this in good faith that it'll do immediate good.
Surefire way for no one to have anything in a few months time when people still need things but everyone has gone "eh, already donated, don't need to donate any more". Which is a consistent problem in these disasters; they get completely overwhelmed in the short term with donations, but they don't get anywhere near enough to deal with the just-as-severe long term consequences.

The ICRC/IFRC and its subsiduaries are faaaaar from perfect (their marketing budget...) but they do know what they're doing, mostly.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Also holy batman is that blog's navigation menu a Greatest Hits collection of bat**** cray. I'm surprised it didn't just go out and say "this is what happens when everything is run by the joooooooooz" as it so clearly wants to in its sub-headline comment.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Surefire way for no one to have anything in a few months time when people still need things but everyone has gone "eh, already donated, don't need to donate any more". Which is a consistent problem in these disasters; they get completely overwhelmed in the short term with donations, but they don't get anywhere near enough to deal with the just-as-severe long term consequences.

The ICRC/IFRC and its subsiduaries are faaaaar from perfect (their marketing budget...) but they do know what they're doing, mostly.
Fair enough, maybe my comment was a bit knee jerk, but it was close to home. I am highly suspicious of charities and religious agencies. I sincerely hope ALL the money donated gets to those effected, apart from the administrative and workforce costs these agencies have.

I mean, Red Cross doubled back after some online criticism and pledged to give out more, but they're still saying they're keeping 50 million (nearly half of what was donated) in their coffers for long term work. You'd really hope EVERY cent of that is used in the way the donors intended it to be.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fair enough, maybe my comment was a bit knee jerk, but it was close to home. I am highly suspicious of charities and religious agencies. I sincerely hope ALL the money donated gets to those effected, apart from the administrative and workforce costs these agencies have.

I mean, Red Cross doubled back after some online criticism and pledged to give out more, but they're still saying they're keeping 50 million (nearly half of what was donated) in their coffers for long term work. You'd really hope EVERY cent of that is used in the way the donors intended it to be.
The problem is that in any group of people there's politics, infighting and wasteful behaviour. And the larger and more powerful the organisation, the worse it gets. But the larger the organisation the larger the scale of things it can do. Which is why governments are simultaneously the most useful and most horrifying of organisations.