• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

British - losers?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Like it or not Bangladesh happened.
And like it or not beating Bangladesh means nothing - there have been 3 out of 33(?) occasions when it has not happened (2 of them mostly because of rain).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Somehow managed to miss The Caribbean.
Should, of course, have been a run of 16.
Nonetheless, Bangladesh do not count as part of any meaningful run because there was never a realistic possibility of anything other than an England 2-0 victory in that series.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Were they official Tests? YES
Did the stats count towards career records? YES
Are they part of the run? YES

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Did they mean anything? NO.
BECAUSE EVERYONE BEATS BANGLADESH. THEREFORE BEATING THEM DOES NOT CONTRIBUTE ANYTHING TO A SUMMARY OF THE ABILITY TO PLAY TEST-CRICKET.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Not everybody beats them.

They are still called Test matches.

Therefore they are part of a run of Tests.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
They are a meaningless part of it and hence should be excluded for the benefits of accuracy.
It's amazing how you can point-out their irrelevance sometimes and not when it helps a case of yours were they to be worth something.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I've never said irrelevance about them.

The games may be uncompetitive, but they are still Tests, and Bangladesh have been showing signs of improvement.

The run is therefore 1 defeat in 18 Tests.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And it's 1 defeat in 16 proper Tests.
Bangladesh have been showing the odd sign of improvement here and there, then regressing back to the point they were at before.
They're no better now than they were in their Inaugural Test.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
Did they mean anything? NO.
BECAUSE EVERYONE BEATS BANGLADESH. THEREFORE BEATING THEM DOES NOT CONTRIBUTE ANYTHING TO A SUMMARY OF THE ABILITY TO PLAY TEST-CRICKET.
If everybody beats them (i.e: everybody plays them) then there's no reason to leave them out as everyone gets equal opportunity to excel against a weak team.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes, but for some people it has more of an influence.
Eg for the good players it's simply a chance to make a small improvement - which is why I never mind good players doing well against Bangladesh or the non-Test-sides.
For the bad ones it can make a poor record look less poor - eg MacGill.
In some cases it can add more to something that, frankly, needs no addition to.

tooextracool

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
What'll be interesting now will be the volume of criticisms should we lose in Durban.
yes and really the only 2 people that deserve criticism are the 2 intelligent hookers- flintoff and jones.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
steds said:
India didn't on boxing day
Nope, they didn't indeed - the first time Bangladesh have ever won a live ODI against a better team.
A level of how low India's ODI form has fallen of late.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Geneui is not a word, y'know. 8-)

(No malice intended, as you should know by now, BTW - just clarifying)
I shouldn't have said anything. I'm really confused now

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Right, I'll try and get it nice and clear:
The plural of genuis is not geneui - it is genuises.
See? :dry: