• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brett Lee Says he will bowl line and length from now on.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Lee opts for line and length

Cricinfo staff

November 2, 2005

Brett Lee's plans to become a more patient bowler instead of a compulsive firebreather have been approved by Ricky Ponting. Since returning to Tests in July, Lee's intimidation with the ball has been impressive but his failure to pick up regular wickets has forced him to remodel.

Under the new method yorkers and bouncers will become shock tactics rather than staples and Ponting said he was impressed with Lee's line-and-length decision. "He thinks he'll make himself a better bowler by being more patient and putting batsmen under pressure for more time," Ponting said. "I tend to agree because he'll be able to get us wickets and bowl in different ways when required. I'll still be able to ask him to run in and bowl fast for a few overs and get him to bowl short stuff."

During the Ashes Lee regularly upset England's batsmen, but he finished the series with 20 wickets at 41.10 and his economy rate was also a major concern. During the Ashes it was an expensive 4.29 runs an over before ballooning to 5.33 during the Super Test and prompting a tactical change.

"It is time to become a lot more of a patient bowler," Lee told The Courier-Mail. "In the last two net sessions here I have not tried to bowl a yorker or a bumper. I have basically just tried to hit the top of off stump. It is about drilling it into your brain."

Ponting, who spoke to Lee about his intentions on Tuesday, was not concerned the approach would result in a loss of aggression. "His greatest strength is to intimidate the opposition," he said. "If he can couple that with some good line and length that will make him a better bowler and he will take more wickets."

Lee's last five-wicket Test haul came at the Gabba against New Zealand in 2001-02 and he struggled with foot injuries before being shut out of the side last summer by McGrath, Gillespie and Kasprowicz. "He's not had the best ride over the past couple of seasons and at times when he's been bowling exceptionally he hasn't been in the team," Ponting said. "Now he's back bowling very well and it's a matter of time before he gets rewards."

© Cricinfo

Eclipse

International Debutant
I'm going to be extreamly interested to see how he goes, if he can stick to it...

we should get a better idea about his actual accuracy as well, he is know to be one of the most accurate bowlers in the nets when he wants to be so I hope he can use that with this new approach.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Eclipse said:
Lee opts for line and length
WOW !!

What a remarkable vow !!

And a what a sacrifice at such a young age and so early in his career ??

* doffs his hat in salute*

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Dasa said:
It took him this long to realise something wasn't working?
Its much better than Shoaib who will retire (maybe go to his grave) before he realises this

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Who's this bloke "line and length"? And what's the big deal? Lee's basically said he's going to bowl this one player in the world - I think he needs to set his sights a bit higher.

SJS said:
Its much better than Shoaib who will retire (maybe go to his grave) before he realises this
Actually Shoaib has said similar stuff too, but its obvious he doesn't act on it.

I don't think anyone of these two bowlers will really stick to line and length.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Voltman said:
Who's this bloke "line and length"? And what's the big deal? Lee's basically said he's going to bowl this one player in the world - I think he needs to set his sights a bit higher.
Its two blokes, silly ! :@

Must be Zimbabwe's new opening pair.

Ock. Ward Line & C. Mie Length

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Voltman said:
LOL - mind you, McGrath has never targetted him, so maybe Lee's looking for the crumbs?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Sounds a bit like what Sir Richard Hadlee did. Alot of people were shocked when he came back to NZ from a stint with Notts and had cut his run-up in half.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
You mean the square leg umpire can finally put his helmet away?

(Looks up, sees Shaun Tait steaming in, gives square leg umpire a riot shield as well)

chalky

International Debutant
The problem Brett Lee has is that he is a straight up & down bowler he gets little swing (orthodox or reverse) and no seam movement. He also doesn't have a high action ala McGrath & Pollock therefore cannot bounce off a lengh. As a result when he bowls on a flat pitch he becomes cannon fodder and the only way he can unsettle a batsmen is to go into Bouncer Yorker rountine.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
If he can do it, it will make him a better bowler. I guess we'll see how he goes. Personally I'd expect he will bowl about the same way he usually bowls.

howardj

International Coach
I think Lee is serious about it this time. Apparently he's sought the advice of both Mark Taylor and Tugga Waugh, in the lead up to this match. Anyway, as I do before every Brisbane Test, I pulled out the DVD 'The Streak' which showcases Australia's 16 consecutive Test victories, and it was interesting to watch Lee on debut in Melbourne. He was electrifying and, as he has alluded to in recent days, netted his wickets by bowling at the stumps. I hope he can go back to that, as it's important that he blossoms, for Australia's sake. He's a top bloke too, who you instinctively like to see do well.