• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brett Lee - Protected Species?

Belford

Banned
Unsettling psychological insight

Am I the only one who found this:

"Except that the ideals by which he chucks have now been proven FALSE AS A SLUT!!!!!!"

fairly misogynistic and disturbing?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, there will almost certainly be 3 others that did, too.
Apart from you lot, though, no, probably not.

John the Bookie

Cricket Spectator
Fiery said:
I remain firmly in the "I trust my ole eyes" brigade. Sometimes things can be made overly complicated by analysis. They admit that his doosra is dodgy and there is not much difference in his action from that to his stock delivery apart from the wrist which is pretty much admitting 'he has a problem but we'll just ban the one delivery to keep both sides of the argument happy'. It's a hoary old chestnut this argument and I will never be convinced that his action is OK. I guess I have to live with it now that they have changed the rules for him. I know you will roll your eyes and go over the same points as before but I think it's best if we agree to disagree on this one Richard.
Why do you think he chucks. If you see him straightening his bent arm then that his fair enough but if you just see bowling with the bent arm and then assuming he chucks then that is unfair. IT IS PERFECTLY LEGAL TO BOWL WITH A BENT ARM ACTION

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I know what you mean, JTB, I've thought it many times myself.
Fiery, though, definately knows the rules and is just one of those who can't accept the old ideals that straightening doesn't happen at all in most actions.
No-one disputes that Murali's wrong-'un breaks the old ideals - we just know that everyone (yes - INCLUDING Ramnaresh Sarwan) else does too.

Scallywag

Banned
Here is something for you to try JTB.

Try throwing a ball and keep your left knee straight while throwing (assuming your'e right handed) and then try bowling a ball and bending your left knee while you bowl.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, how could I? I tried to imagine it and I wondered what it had to do with anything.

Scallywag

Banned
Richard said:
No, how could I? I tried to imagine it and I wondered what it had to do with anything.
Ok then you need to try it, just pretend you have a ball in your hand and stand up and go through the motions.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
OK, I just tried it - woke Dad up - and all that happened was it felt a bit odd.
Still don't understand what it's got to do with anything.
Do I have to do it in full speed?

Scallywag

Banned
Richard said:
OK, I just tried it - woke Dad up - and all that happened was it felt a bit odd.
Still don't understand what it's got to do with anything.
Do I have to do it in full speed?

Did it feel odd trying to bowl a ball with a bent knee.

Did it feel odd trying to throw with a straight knee.

Think about it for a while.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well it never feels odd throwing - I throw all sorts of stuff all the time.
It felt odd, and it could be very painful, trying to bowl with a bent knee (bent outwards, that is)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A slut is a female who plays around.
Or "plays false" if you use some expressions.
Understand?

Scallywag

Banned
Well thats my contribution to the debate, watch the knee of a bowler and that will give an indication as to what he is doing. If the knee is kept straight then its very difficult to throw and if the knee is bent its almost impossible to bowl.

John the Bookie

Cricket Spectator
It is virtually impossible to bowl a delivery with a bent arm without straightening it for most people. However Murali is an exception because he is double jointed and can't straighten his arm fully.
If you watch footage of Murali bowling you can tell there is no visible straightening of his bent arm

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
His elbow isn't double-jointed, it's just the opposite - it can't be straightened fully.
Similarly, if Murali doesn't straighten his arm at all, I'll eat the Earth. But given that everyone else does, it's not fair to victimise him just because his looks more exaggerated than others' due to the optical-illusions created by his disfigured elbow.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scallywag said:
Well thats my contribution to the debate, watch the knee of a bowler and that will give an indication as to what he is doing. If the knee is kept straight then its very difficult to throw and if the knee is bent its almost impossible to bowl.
Bowlers bowl with bent knees ATT - people criticise them for it often, because it means you miss-out on a bit of height and perfect balance.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
John the Bookie said:
Why do you think he chucks. If you see him straightening his bent arm then that his fair enough but if you just see bowling with the bent arm and then assuming he chucks then that is unfair. IT IS PERFECTLY LEGAL TO BOWL WITH A BENT ARM ACTION
He bends and straightens his arm ie he chucks

I know the response will be that "scientific evidence concludes that everyone else does as well", however there is no doubt that he obtains an unfair advantage via his action.

If you dont believe me, try another exercise: - take any ball (doesnt have to be cricket could be golf, table tennis, etc) and using a only your fingers whilst your arm remains straight, impart spin on the ball.

Now compare that spin with the amount that can be imparted with a throwing action - there is simply no comparison.