• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brendon McCullum vs M.S. Dhoni

Who is better?

• Total voters

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
McCullum also doesn't tend to keep when he plays for Otago - he's had knee issues in the past, and I think he has to keep a close eye on any problems.

JerseyGuy

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
One inning and you have already started comparing.....I think average of 45.50 vs. 27.46 says it all. no comparison ...Dhoni is far ahead.

JerseyGuy

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Whilst Dhoni's keeping has improved markedly, it's no better than McCullum's.

Meanwhile, the latter is quickly developing into an extremely dangerous batsman whilst the former is on the slide

Today - McCullum

Future - ditto
:-O :-O ...change your avatar please.

Flem274*

123/5
One inning and you have already started comparing.....I think average of 45.50 vs. 27.46 says it all. no comparison ...Dhoni is far ahead.
If you'd had your facts straight you would know that its been a golden summer for McCullum. Career average is also a poor generalisation considering McCullums ODI career began far too soon. Nevertheless, Dhoni is ahead atm, though in the future I have no idea who will be better. Dhoni could turn out a dud and McCullum could go back to the early 2000s version, which would be poor for both players.

CDAK

U19 Debutant
Dhoni might end up with a better test career.
Reason
1) The coolest head among indian cricketers, so is expected to captain the team in all versions of the game that does mean his presence in the team is guaranteed for the next 10 yrs.So, will play more test,hoping reasonable contribution
2)Not many NZL cricketers are seen to ve a continuous 10yr or such cricketing life.Probabilty shows McCullum is not going to b an exception.
3) The success of McCullum in IPL might take him more towards playing only 20-20s, keeping away from tests with excuses like injury..etc(like what Zaheer, Shoaib do often)

Flem274*

123/5
Dhoni might end up with a better test career.
Reason
1) The coolest head among indian cricketers, so is expected to captain the team in all versions of the game that does mean his presence in the team is guaranteed for the next 10 yrs.So, will play more test,hoping reasonable contribution
2)Not many NZL cricketers are seen to ve a continuous 10yr or such cricketing life.Probabilty shows McCullum is not going to b an exception.
3) The success of McCullum in IPL might take him more towards playing only 20-20s, keeping away from tests with excuses like injury..etc(like what Zaheer, Shoaib do often)
1) Yeah fair call, though if he fails knowing Indian selectors it could well change in an instant.

2) Sadly this has been true for many of our bowlers due to injury though we've had many batsmen have long careers. McCullum has said he'd like to play for another 8-10 years.

3) I highly doubt it, he's very commited to the team. He'll only play lots of IPL if cricket comes to a situation like football where clubs rule all.

CDAK

U19 Debutant
1)
3) I highly doubt it, he's very commited to the team. He'll only play lots of IPL if cricket comes to a situation like football where clubs rule all.
McCullum gained such a high reputation among Indian cricket fans with that knock of 158*, that I expect in the next contract renewal of IPL, he'll b one among the top ranked ones.So,in 2-3 yrs he can earn, may be 4-5 times than playing test for NZL. Again, connecting with probabilty, I expect he may reduce playing international games (less risk, more money and thus a happy family).
Dhoni is not going to get anything better than this. If he doesn't play for country, his value in India will sure go down.( even for ads).So, he is expected do more in international level.

Flem274*

123/5
McCullum gained such a high reputation among Indian cricket fans with that knock of 158*, that I expect in the next contract renewal of IPL, he'll b one among the top ranked ones.So,in 2-3 yrs he can earn, may be 4-5 times than playing test for NZL. Again, connecting with probabilty, I expect he may reduce playing international games (less risk, more money and thus a happy family).
Dhoni is not going to get anything better than this. If he doesn't play for country, his value in India will sure go down.( even for ads).So, he is expected do more in international level.
Nah he's pretty commited to NZ from what he's said in the media and his actions (he's played international cricket one day, domestic semi 1 or two days later, not many internationals seem to do that anymore)

He could well do that but I would be surprised if he did.