• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bradman, the greatest sportsperson ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruckus

International Captain
No it doesn't Ruckus. Just to clarify I'm not referring the difference between 1930 where I haven't seen and 2013, I'm more talking about when Warne started his career which I actually saw all his career.

Batsman definitely have a wider range of shots these days and fielders dive more, but the ability to bat in Test match Cricket has not improved in that time frame.
oh yeah fair enough, misunderstood what you were saying. I agree.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Someone should run a best sportsperson of all time battle. I feel as though its been done before, but ages ago.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
ok then, so would early Warne transported to the present do roughly as well as he did when he debuted?
I don't know and I don't care because it's completely and utterly irrelevant.

Things like David Boon's drinking record on the flight to England won't be beaten because this is a much more professional era where players are much more aware of the effects of what they put in their bodies.

Diet and preparation bave improve massively in all sports in the last 10-20 years, you're kidding yourself on if you think cricket hasn't evolved slightly in that period. The advent of the ****ing helmet makes the game now a much different game to when Lillee debuted, never mind all the other physical, technical and mental advances that have been made. Technology evolves and life evolves with it, you're having a laugh if you think we've stood still for 40 years in any walk of life.

Ruckus

International Captain
This is roughly what I think the development of a sport (in terms of standards) over time would look like:

I.e. big changes as the game transition between amateur to semi-pro to pro, then smaller changes thereafter. Think standards could well plummet after a peak as well. Could be entering into a period like that in test cricket now really, who knows.

Ruckus

International Captain

Things like David Boon's drinking record on the flight to England won't be beaten because this is a much more professional era where players are much more aware of the effects of what they put in their bodies.

Diet and preparation bave improve massively in all sports in the last 10-20 years, you're kidding yourself on if you think cricket hasn't evolved slightly in that period. The advent of the ****ing helmet makes the game now a much different game to when Lillee debuted, never mind all the other physical, technical and mental advances that have been made. Technology evolves and life evolves with it, you're having a laugh if you think we've stood still for 40 years in any walk of life.
Na this is just a massive over-exaggeration of points i've made, so frankly I don't care for responding to it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
would be helpful if you didn't put the image of Dennis Lillee with herpes in my head you ****

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag

How many runs do you make with a better diet? Do batting helmets give batsman special super ability? What mental advances have occurred to make batsman play less get out of shots?

I know ground fielding has improved and bowlers bat better these days due to professionalism, but the basic fundamentals, nope.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
would be helpful if you didn't put the image of Dennis Lillee with herpes in my head you ****
would be helpful if you didn't put the image of me putting Dennis Lillee with herpes in other parts of your body tbh

the big bambino

International Captain
Na this is just a massive over-exaggeration of points i've made, so frankly I don't care for responding to it.
Actually its a pretty good pwning. Love the graph btw. Is it your tendency to leap straight into exaggeration and then leave yourself with no room to move?

Ruckus

International Captain
How many runs do you make with a better diet? Do batting helmets give batsman special super ability? What mental advances have occurred to make batsman play less get out of shots?

I know ground fielding has improved and bowlers bat better these days due to professionalism, but the basic fundamentals, nope.
yep, you get it.

Ruckus

International Captain
Actually its a pretty good pwning. Love the graph btw. Is it your tendency to leap straight into exaggeration and then leave yourself with no room to move?
I don't care for 'pwning's frankly. I'll leave that business up to the internet wankers.

Status
Not open for further replies.