• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowling attacks

Which nation from the top 8 has the worst attack?

• Australia

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • England

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • India

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • New Zealand

• Pakistan

• West Indies

Votes: 15 45.5%
  • Sri Lanka

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • South Africa

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tom Halsey

International Coach
After a couple of pretty ordinary bowling performances by India and the Windies today, I want to know who you think has the worst bowling attack from the top 8 test nations.

krkode

State Captain
I don't think India's bowling attack was any worse than Australia's two days ago.

That said, I personally believe that England has the weakest bowling attack at the moment. Followed rather closely by Pakistan, WI, and India. All teams have an extreme lack of experience and very little in the form of raw talent, and what little experience India has in the form of Kumble is unable to perform to his best.

Pakistan may also have a pretty weak attack although they've done quite well so far against NZ. I'd like to see them try bowling to the Indians or Australians before handing them laurels. The West Indies also seems somewhat weak. Hardly any experience.

Sri lanka is fine. Australia is fine. NZ fine, to an extent, although they need Bond to keep firing. South Africa is fine what with Pollock and Ntini firing on all cylinders.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
krkode said:
I'd like to see them try bowling to the Indians before handing them laurels.
Let me guess, if I did a "Who has the best batting?" poll, you would vote India.

*senses bias*

:lol:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Bangladesh, India, England and Australia's 2nd String...

I read a quote from Michael Vaughan before I went down to my grandparents for Christmas, and he was saying that England had to learn to cope without a World Class Attack like NZ and South Africa...

NZ have the world's best left-arm-spinner ,Vettori, who rarely has conditions suitable for his style of bowling at home, but is usually effective away from home. They also have Tuffey who has become a very solid opening bowler.

South Africa have Shaun Pollock, about as world-class as you can get, and Ntini who backs him up well.

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
krkode said:
I don't think India's bowling attack was any worse than Australia's two days ago.

That said, I personally believe that England has the weakest bowling attack at the moment. Followed rather closely by Pakistan, WI, and India. All teams have an extreme lack of experience and very little in the form of raw talent, and what little experience India has in the form of Kumble is unable to perform to his best.

Pakistan may also have a pretty weak attack although they've done quite well so far against NZ. I'd like to see them try bowling to the Indians or Australians before handing them laurels. The West Indies also seems somewhat weak. Hardly any experience.

Sri lanka is fine. Australia is fine. NZ fine, to an extent, although they need Bond to keep firing. South Africa is fine what with Pollock and Ntini firing on all cylinders.
Agree with most of that, but, if I may ask, what's Pakistan doing in that list? Shoaib Akhtar is class, Kaneria is doing pretty well, Sami is doing OK in ODIs, and bowling SA out for 330 and 270 in a test has to count for something.

IMO England and WI have the two worst at the moment. WIndies are too young and nearly had to resort to Rampaul against SA, England have an OK seam attack but can't really do anything on spinning pitches.

krkode

State Captain
halsey said:
Let me guess, if I did a "Who has the best batting?" poll, you would vote India.

*senses bias*

:lol:
You removed Australians from my quote.

India and Australia. Yes, you can attribute it to bias, but what I've been seeing over the last few days, weeks, months doesn't lie to me.

Who do *you* think has the best batting? Sri Lanka? England? New Zealand? Give me a more reasonable alternative and I'll reconsider my choices.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Yeah, I sneakily edit peoples posts like that!:P

For your question, Australia, but I definitely wouldn't put India up with them.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
England, West Indies, India, New Zealand, Australia (the ones in the current game), Sri Lanka, Pakistan, South Africa - in that order. I reckon that any one team can move up or down a couple of places dependent on conditions and venues.

Ask me tomorrow and I'll probably give you a completely different order - there's not a lot in it because none of them are particularly strong once you go past 2 bowlers per side.

krkode

State Captain
halsey said:
Yeah, I sneakily edit peoples posts like that!:P

For your question, Australia, but I definitely wouldn't put India up with them.
I would, but that's just me. :P

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Samuel_Vimes said:
Agree with most of that, but, if I may ask, what's Pakistan doing in that list? Shoaib Akhtar is class, Kaneria is doing pretty well, Sami is doing OK in ODIs, and bowling SA out for 330 and 270 in a test has to count for something.
Doesn't matter. I just put every single top 8 test nation in there. I hope that explains it. :P

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
krkode said:
My apologies for doubting Pakistan. I have barely been keeping up with their cricket recently. SO perhaps my judgement was lacking in thought.

The Pakistani bowling has great potential, but really only Akhtar and since recently the other young quicks, have any clear cut potential. Akhtar was really the only one who troubled SA, was it not? btw, what happened to Saqlain Mushtaq! :O
Hm...Danish Kaneria has been hailed as the future of leg-spin by many...and got 11 wickets in the SA series, among them Gibbs (twice) Kallis, Kirsten and Pollock. So it's not only the quicks who do the job.

Pakistan has huge potential IMO - young batsmen and bowlers who are already performing well and still can evolve (Taufeeq is 22, Kaneria 23, Farhat 21, Sami 22 - still time to learn line and length, Shoaib Malik 22). Add Latif as a coming keeper- not the best, but he can do the job. It's just a shame their cricket board is the most messed up in the whole world.

Dunno what happened to Saqlain - he still bowls for PIA in the domestic comp, but he's more average there. Hasn't played since the Bangladesh series - they probably reckon Kaneria is better :)

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
halsey said:
Doesn't matter. I just put every single top 8 test nation in there. I hope that explains it. :P
Why did you think I quoted krkode's post? I just wondered why he had Pakistan as a poor bowling attack when it's actually pretty decent.

krkode

State Captain
Samuel_Vimes said:
Why did you think I quoted krkode's post? I just wondered why he had Pakistan as a poor bowling attack when it's actually pretty decent.
I removed my post thinking you were talking about Halsey's post! :O

Sorry, mate. Well, atleast you quoted it so it's still preserved :)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
England at present are toothless
West Indies are inconsistent and are spearheaded by a very, very inexperienced guy in Edwards
Sri Lanka have nothing past Murali & Vaas
Pakistan are alright with Shoaib, Sami, Shabbir, Saqqy and Danish
NZ have Bond, Tuffey and Vettori.. but not much behind that
Aussies - Bracken and Williams amuse me, still the front 4 are excellent
India have potential but little more.
South Africa have depth and ability - doesn't stop Nel being a dingbat mind!

krkode

State Captain
Sri Lanka have had nothing but Vaas and Murali for as long as I can remember, yet they've been more successful than the average team. Those two bowlers are just pure quality...however you'll have it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
krkode said:
That said, I personally believe that England has the weakest bowling attack at the moment. Followed rather closely by Pakistan, WI, and India. All teams have an extreme lack of experience and very little in the form of raw talent,
England have the talent coming through though.

As for Pakistan 2nd worst, do the names Akhtar, Sami, Shabbir and Kaneria mean anything to you?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
NZ have the world's best left-arm-spinner ,Vettori, who rarely has conditions suitable for his style of bowling at home, but is usually effective away from home.

Sounds remarkably like the King of Spain to me...