• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Border-Gavaskar Trophy all time XI

sunilz

International Regular
Then they don't count. :p
Then I have no problem ?
I have no problem if Smith bats at 4 in BG trophy.
There is a price to pay when you play for brand endorsements and 100th century.
Had Tendulkar retired in 2011 after WC victory, he would have a career average of around 58.5 ,14000 runs and around 62/63 avg in BG trophy and we wouldn't be having this debate.
This dip in batting average is due to his own selfishness.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Trolling aside, Pujara, Ponting, Dravid are all vying for the number 3 spot. Potentially one of those 3 could open over Sehwag. Smith and Tendulkar are easily the best two options at 4. Laxman and Clarke are the obvious choices at 5 and 6.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Trolling aside, Pujara, Ponting, Dravid are all vying for the number 3 spot. Potentially one of those 3 could open over Sehwag. Smith and Tendulkar are easily the best two options at 4. Laxman and Clarke are the obvious choices at 5 and 6.
Dravid has no claim, not even in India.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
I would consider Smith and Tendulkar as locks.

Laxman, Pujara and Clarke over Ponting and Dravid isn't even debatable in Border - Gavaskar trophy context. And I didn't even bother to check Pujara's stats. The guy has IMPACT.

I would say the best order is

Pujara
Tendulkar
Smith
Laxman/Clarke

I just think Smith is better batting with the tail than Tendulkar hence moved him to #5. Same goes for Laxman over Pujara.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
@stephen
While counting Sachin centuries in BG trophy , I am also counting the centuries he scored in AUS in 1991/92. Cricinfo won't include those because BG trophy started in 1996 .
We shouldn't include them though. At least, we have a positive win loss difference in B-G. Bring 1991-92, and it changes :laugh:

On a different note, I feel lucky to have been old enough to watch 1991-92. Kapil's 25 wickets in that series was one of the cherishing memories of my childhood:)