• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Border-Gavaskar Trophy all time XI

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hayden
Dravid
Tendulkar
Smith
Clarke (c)
Laxman
Gilchrist+
Jadeja
Cummins
Bumrah
McGrath

Looks like a mighty BG trophy side to me. Dravid to open because I think he's a better batsman than Sehwag. But it could go either way.

Gilchrist over Pant because glovework matters. The bowling attack could be filled with a number of players but Jadeja strengthens the tail and has performed in both countries. The fast bowlers are all great, but I could see arguments for Bumrah not being picked based on his lack of home games.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Hayden
Dravid
Tendulkar
Smith
Clarke (c)
Laxman
Gilchrist+
Jadeja
Cummins
Bumrah
McGrath

Looks like a mighty BG trophy side to me. Dravid to open because I think he's a better batsman than Sehwag. But it could go either way.

Gilchrist over Pant because glovework matters. The bowling attack could be filled with a number of players but Jadeja strengthens the tail and has performed in both countries. The fast bowlers are all great, but I could see arguments for Bumrah not being picked based on his lack of home games.
Dravid ahead of Pujara ?
Dravid had one almighty tour in 03-04 (where he faced the weakest Aussie bowling lineup of last 30 years) and had a good series in 01 at home. He was mediocre to bad rest of the times. His overall average in BG trophy is just 38.

Pujara averages 54 in the BG and time and again proved his worth. Against ATG attacks.

Also given Gilly's surprisingly poor record in BG trophy (avg of 27 in 18 tests, Dhoni will be better option than him- averages 35. A left field option would be Mongia who averaged 42 , although all at home, in BG. Mongia used to open as well.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Hayden
Sehwag
Pujara
Sachin
Smith
Pant (wk)
Jadeja
Ashwin
Cummins
Bumrah
McGrath

Would absolutely LOVE to see Hayden and Sehwag open the batting on some road and just beat the bowlers into oblivion. :)

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Assuming players are at their respective peaks:

If played in Aus

Hayden
Sehwag
Ponting
Tendulkar
Smith
Clarke (C)
Rishabh Pant - wk - He can keep in Aus
Jadeja
Cummins
Mcgrath
Bumrah

If in India

Hayden
KL Rahul
Pujara
Tendulkar
Smith
Laxman
Dhoni (wk and captain)
Jadeja
Ashwin
Gillespie
Mcgrath

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Also given Gilly's surprisingly poor record in BG trophy (avg of 27 in 18 tests, Dhoni will be better option than him- averages 35. A left field option would be Mongia who averaged 42 , although all at home, in BG. Mongia used to open as well.
Or we could just go with the gun that is Rishabh Pant.

stephen

Hayden
Sehwag
Pujara
Sachin
Smith
Pant (wk)
Jadeja
Ashwin
Cummins
Bumrah
McGrath

Would absolutely LOVE to see Hayden and Sehwag open the batting on some road and just beat the bowlers into oblivion. :)
Assuming players are at their respective peaks:

If played in Aus

Hayden
Sehwag
Ponting
Tendulkar
Smith
Clarke (C)
Rishabh Pant - wk - He can keep in Aus
Jadeja
Cummins
Mcgrath
Bumrah

If in India

Hayden
KL Rahul
Pujara
Tendulkar
Smith
Laxman
Dhoni (wk and captain)
Jadeja
Ashwin
Gillespie
Mcgrath
Both of you got the batting order wrong. The best batsman gets their favoured position, so Smith bats 4, so Tendulkar bats 3 or 5.

stephen

Tendulkar has made most of his career runs at no.4 - in fact more runs in that position than Smith could probably make in his whole career. He will hence get that spot.
Nope, he leaves the spot for the better batsman or he gets left out of the side. Smith is only one century behind Tendulkar despite playing 20 fewer tests than him. He also averages 16 runs (29%) higher. Tendulkar is the one making way.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Nope, he leaves the spot for the better batsman or he gets left out of the side. Smith is only one century behind Tendulkar despite playing 20 fewer tests than him. He also averages 16 runs (29%) higher. Tendulkar is the one making way.
Nah, we need players who can be expected to last seasons after seasons without getting banned yearlong for cheating.

Smith can continue to make pointless 100s against likes of Musa Khan and Naseem Shah.type bowlers and inflate his stats but his 100s would never be celebrated like Tendulkar's against likes of Warne and Mcgrath.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Hayden
Sehwag
Pujara
Sachin
Smith
Pant (wk)
Jadeja
Ashwin
Cummins
Bumrah
McGrath

This is perfect and this will exactly be my team as well. Ponting, Laxman, Gillespie and Clarke round off the squad.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Both of you got the batting order wrong. The best batsman gets their favoured position, so Smith bats 4, so Tendulkar bats 3 or 5.
This post is wrong on several counts.

1. Sachin >> Smith
2. Steve Smith has always been happy to bat 3 as well. He has just said that he doesn't prefer 6 or lower. So it is fine for Smith to be at 3 or 5

stephen

This post is wrong on several counts.

1. Sachin >> Smith
2. Steve Smith has always been happy to bat 3 as well. He has just said that he doesn't prefer 6 or lower. So it is fine for Smith to be at 3 or 5
No way is Sachin better than Smith in the BG trophy. Unless you also argue that Anderson is better than Marshall because he's taken more wickets.

Steve Smith is much more of a team man while Tendulkar was a selfish bastard. Smith bats in his preferred position, Tendulkar moves.

Anyone who thinks that Sachin > Smith in the BG trophy needs to explain how Smith can average nearly 30% more than Tendulkar and still be considered worse than him. Smith scored as many centuries in India in one series as Tendulkar did in his entire career.

sunilz

International Regular
No way is Sachin better than Smith in the BG trophy. Unless you also argue that Anderson is better than Marshall because he's taken more wickets.

Steve Smith is much more of a team man while Tendulkar was a selfish bastard. Smith bats in his preferred position, Tendulkar moves.

Anyone who thinks that Sachin > Smith in the BG trophy needs to explain how Smith can average nearly 30% more than Tendulkar and still be considered worse than him. Smith scored as many centuries in India in one series as Tendulkar did in his entire career.
Easy there .
Tendulkar's avg came down in BG due to his performance in last 2 series in 2011 and 2013.

I don't understand your last line . Tendulkar has 6 century in AUS while Smith has 3 in IND. What is this 1 series century you are talking about ?

And now here is me in Troll mode:
Smith is never going to win BG again and neither is going to Pat Cummins.?

stephen

Easy there .
Tendulkar's avg came down in BG due to his performance in last 2 series in 2011 and 2013.

I don't understand your last line . Tendulkar has 6 century in AUS while Smith has 3 in IND. What is this 1 series century you are talking about ?

And now here is me in Troll mode:
Smith is never going to win BG again and neither is going to Pat Cummins.?
Tendulkar and Smith have both scored 3 centuries in BG matches hosted in India.

sunilz

International Regular
Tendulkar and Smith have both scored 3 centuries in BG matches hosted in India.
Check again it is 5 by Sachin.

What Smith did in IND in 2017 was exceptional. However Tendulkar also had a similar series in AUS in 2007/08. If you feel that Smith is going to repeat that 2017 heroics next time in IND again then I will say it is highly unlikely.