• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Border-Gavaskar Trophy all time XI

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Yeah weird. Smith has garnered respect from Indians, and did not prove to be a single surface bat unlike Ponting.
Without irony, Jadeja and Mcgrath are the only bowlers who average less than 20 in the BG trophy (min 10 wickets). Jadeja has 63 wickets @ 18.85 (including 14 at 21 in Australia!) , Mcgrath has 51 @ 18.64.

Add to the mix Jadeja's batting (average of 30 overall, 44 in Australia), there is nonway he isn't the first name on the sheet.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Ashwin maybe? No alternative to Smith, Tendulkar and McGrath. The rest could be left out arguably.
Nope, Jadeja comfortably. McGrath took some easy wickets against hapless Indian batting lineup in the 99 series. He was good in the 2001 series, but aside from Laxman, Dravid and Tendulkar that too wasn't a great batting lineup either.

Spark

Global Moderator
Remove Smith's 178* not out on the road in Ranchi where barely 2 and a half innings were completed. And his average in India falls from 60 to 43!! So its easy to make anyone look mediocre.

Considering the disproportionately high number of not outs the dude accumulates because he doesn't fancy getting out while batting with the tail, unlike guys like Kohli who would simply try to hit out.

Smith's average without his precious not outs is 54!! He is contributing 54 per innings. Not out doesn't lead to extra runs, so he is not adding 62 as his average may suggest.
Have you literally never watched Smith bat? The bloke goes full on park slogger trying to get quick runs with the tail, he's the least subtle try-to-hit-out batsman I've ever seen.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
haha aside from two of greatest batsmen of all time and Australia's arch nemesis yeah
It was a selective stat I admit, in retrospect. But fact is these three scored two thirds of the total runs Ind batsmen made in the series. But I admit Mcgrath was amazing in that series, given the pitches.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Its interesting to think of this but for McGrath, you can also argue Cummins and Bumrah. I just dont think there has been a better allrounder than Jaddu in BG series.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It was a selective stat I admit, in retrospect. But fact is these three scored two thirds of the total runs Ind batsmen made in the series. But I admit Mcgrath was amazing in that series, given the pitches.
Then why on earth would you pick Jadeja? Apart from Smith the 2017 australia lineup was utterly hopeless.

Spark

Global Moderator
Isn't this how most batting lineups have worked throughout history? As a rule three truly great batsmen (which Laxman was when playing Aus) + three okay batsmen are very much in the upper tier of historical batting lineups IIRC.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, there's no argument to be had there and all of us know how discrediting ATGs plays out ffs.

I'll admit Jadeja was an oversight and he's been gun beyond debate too. MVP home and away is all you can ask for.

sunilz

International Regular
Are people forgetting 2013 series ? That was Jadeja's 1st series and he was the 2nd highest wicket taker there (24 @17 )
Ind lost previous series in 2012 to Eng.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Are people forgetting 2013 series ? That was Jadeja's 1st series and he was the 2nd highest wicket taker there (24 @17 )
Ind lost previous series in 2012 to Eng.
Ashwin was top wickets taker in 2013 series. 29 wickets @ 20. But Jadeja was brilliant as well.

Of course, Jadeja was by far the best in 2017 series with 25 wickets @ 18.5, a series in which utterly outbowled Ashwin (21 wickets @ 27). And also was Man of series.