• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Border-Gavaskar Trophy all time XI

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The obvious thing you're overlooking is that India weren't decent until the late 60s or something. There's an ocean between Dravid/Tendulkar/Laxman and whichever randos Benaud bowled to, for example.

You'll find that he was suffering from an injury at the time and that he never played a full strength Australian attack in Australia at his best.
52 wickets in 8 tests is pretty insane though. It's more than McGrath took in 11. All tests in India as well.

Contractor, Mankad and Manjrekar were some of the batsmen he bowled to, so they weren't exactly Bangladesh-00s bad.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
The fact Harbhajan's a racist asshole is enough surely.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gavaskar with 8 centuries vs Sehwag 3. Nah, no thanks. I realise Sehwag did well in Australia but Gavaskar has his name on the trophy so IMO that tips it.
Eh. Sehwag adds more wildcard value than Gavaskar, given the other batsmen. Not in a weaker line-up, of course.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Australians in India (all tests)

M.Hayden
D.Boon
D.Jones
S.Smith
N.Harvey
A.Border
R.Benaud
A.Davidson
W.Grout +
G.McKenzie
J.Gillespie

K.Hughes, S.Waugh, G.McGrath, S.O'Keefe

Indians in Australia (all tests)

S.Gavaskar
V.Sehwag
C.Pujara
S.Tendulkar
V.Kohli
M.Amarnath
R.Pant +
K.Dev
M.Shami
B.Bedi
J.Bumrah
So you do agree that, by picking Pant, he is a reasonable pick inspite of stating my own pick of the same player as "utterrly ridiculous"? :)

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
So you do agree that, by picking Pant, he is a reasonable pick inspite of stating my own pick of the same player as "utterrly ridiculous"? :)
In a combined XI of tests between the 2 nations in both countries he’s a ridiculous choice.
That wasn’t my criteria tho.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
In a combined XI of tests between the 2 nations in both countries he’s a ridiculous choice.
That wasn’t my criteria tho.
Yeah, I get it. Pant only made it for me because of the rules of the pick i.e. 1996 onwards.

By the way, I really liked both your teams. Mohinder Amarnath was a great player of pace bowling.

CodeOfWisden

U19 Debutant
Border Gavaskar started from 1996
So
India has won 8 times while aussies won 5 times.So its pretty obvious that there should be more indians than the aussies.Unlike ashes where the record is 33-32 and there's no clear dominant team .Border Gavaskar trophy has been dominated by the indians

1.Sehwag
2.Hayden
3.Smith(Ponting was a failure in India and actually he is a poor man's kohli in tests ,so no need to keep him)
4.Tendulkar(Obviuosly)
5.Virat Kohli(pup avG 49 against india kohli avg 53 against aus,also he is a tier above clarke as a test batsman,extra points for banging Johnson)
6.VVS Laxman (Australia's biggest nightmare from sc,overall third after Curtly ambrose and Sir Ian Botham)
7.Rishabh pant(not many options,also he made a record for most catches in a test the last time he toured aus,so not a bad option anyway)
8.Anil Kumble(warne always failed against great players of spin)
9.Gillespie
10.Mcgrath
11.Bumrah

The most difficult part was to think who would bat at no. 11.
Also whats this hoopla around Ian Healy.We have wriddhi saha who is as good a wktkeeper as healy but he doesn’t get a chance to play.Healy wont even get picked if he played cricket in this era.

Last edited: