• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bolwer rotation for tests

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Here is the article:

Test rotation planned

Cricket Australia cannot be serious, surely? Now, I know I get critisised a lot for doing the old 'Qld v N.S.W.', but I'm sorry, for years Qld fans have had to watch Kasprowicz and Bichel (and bowlers from other states) carry out drinks to bowlers that have either been performing well or even not performing well. I'm sorry Brett Lee, you are going to have to wait your turn like thousands of other players have throughout test history. Ask someone like Kasprowicz if he would like to be 'rested', I don't think you'll find he'll say 'yes'.

This is purely a reason just to play Brett Lee, last time I checked he wasn't needed, we beat India in India for the first time in 35 years, and thoroughly dismantled the Kiwis in Brisbane without the aid of Brett Lee, and quite frankly Kasprowicz has played a major hand in all the victories. I will only accept bowler rotation in tests if players of the calibre of McGrath & Warne are included, you cannot have one rule for some players and another for others.

While we're at it why don't we rest the batsman and keepers...

We don't need Brett Lee, let the state batsman smash him all around the park.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
They just want Brett in cos hes pretty. I guess problems are arising cos hes sponsored to the sh*thouse, but isnt actually playing Test Cricket.

I think he deserves another go in the future, but certainly not at the expense of someone whos doing a good job.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I've said plenty before that has... I'm fairly sure that one won't, and if it does I'll be too depressed to care.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Mister Wright said:
I will only accept bowler rotation in tests if players of the calibre of McGrath & Warne are included, you cannot have one rule for some players and another for others.
That's pretty much what I was thinking as I read the article. There's a sound argument for resting test bowlers - some fitness experts have been advocating it for years now, to avoid the inevitable burnout and injuries.

But if we find that it's Kasprowicz that's rested (when he's had the lesser workload compared with say, Gillespie, McGrath and Warne, as well as being less affected by injury in recent times) in order for Lee to gain a place, I'm a little suspicious.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
cant rest warne, hes had a year off already. but i agree that kaspa shouldn't be rested just to give lee a go, he will get another go soon enough, and NSW certainly need him.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Neil Pickup said:
Pick Lee for the Ashes please. And Hauritz.
it wont make any difference, england WONT win the Ashes anyway, they simply arent good enough....

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
If you go in with them two, you only have two bowlers :p

If that's the case I find it difficult to believe you'll get 20.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think if all bowlers are gonna be a part of it, then it is fine. Otherwise, it seems more like a back door way to bring in guys like Lee.

BTW, do you guys in Australia think this will work out for the long term good? I mean, we saw the second line of Aussie bowling during the BG trophy in Australia (actually, just two of them, I guess) and they didn't look that impressive. I suppose India batted really well, but still, isn't that opening a door for the other sides to get victories over Australia? (even the odd one)

Mister Wright

You need keep solidarity in the team, keep the same 4 bowlers if they are performing, don't just rest them to get Brett Lee in the side. If they keep swapping players, it could lead to inconsistency.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Mister Wright said:
You need keep solidarity in the team, keep the same 4 bowlers if they are performing, don't just rest them to get Brett Lee in the side. If they keep swapping players, it could lead to inconsistency.
If there's a chance to rest them, I don't see a problem. What Australia really doesn't need is complete breakdowns happening at once, like last season when we resorted to Williams and Bracken as spearheads of the attack. If they can sense a burnout coming for any particular bowler they should be given a rest. But I agree, doing it for no reason is a bit redundant.

Mister Wright

honestbharani said:
Didn't McGrath say somewhere that the more overs he bowled, the better his bowling was?

Yes, he has always said that. I can assure you that McGrath will not be in favour of rotation.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
I thought the rotation system was canned a couple of seasons ago when we didn't make the ODI finals?

Baggy Greens are special. If they want to rest take a few ODIs off. They are no way near tests in regards to importance in a players career.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
mavric41 said:
I thought the rotation system was canned a couple of seasons ago when we didn't make the ODI finals?

Baggy Greens are special. If they want to rest take a few ODIs off. They are no way near tests in regards to importance in a players career.
They don't have to devalue the Baggy Green by rotating bowlers. If they rotated the bowling and said "Aww let's give Tait a go", that's a different story.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
honestbharani said:
BTW, do you guys in Australia think this will work out for the long term good? I mean, we saw the second line of Aussie bowling during the BG trophy in Australia (actually, just two of them, I guess) and they didn't look that impressive. I suppose India batted really well, but still, isn't that opening a door for the other sides to get victories over Australia? (even the odd one)
Australia bowled poorly (not surprising - the bowlers were very poor), India batted well, India got a few nice Umpiring decisions, Australia's catching was terrible (never forget that time when Chopra got 4 let-offs in 10 minutes, 2 poor decisions, a no-ball and a dropped catch)... it all adds up soon.

Mister Wright

Richard said:
Australia bowled poorly (not surprising - the bowlers were very poor), India batted well, India got a few nice Umpiring decisions, Australia's catching was terrible (never forget that time when Chopra got 4 let-offs in 10 minutes, 2 poor decisions, a no-ball and a dropped catch)... it all adds up soon.

Too bad he couldn't capatilise and get at least a half century.