• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Blind Umpires?

Bronte

Cricket Spectator
In recent months,quite a few poms have had a good winge about Darryl Hair,Koetzer,and one or two others, well,I hope they saw their "blind" umpire officiating at the MCG in the test between Australia & India,...I saw three blatant Blind umpiring,the worst was when Hogg was bowling to Ganguly,he made no attempt to play the ball,which hit him on the pad,all the Aussies went up screaming for LBW,blind benson said "not out" the electronic machine which shows the flight of the ball showed it would have hit the middle & leg stumps about 20 centimetres below the bails,......the commentators nearly spewed at this wrong decision, fortunately Ganguly didn't last very long afterwards,but it just shows that the pommie umpires also needs a white stick.:@ :@

33/3from3.3

International Vice-Captain
I agree. I don't know if you've seen the NZ vs Bangladesh series but there have been about three caught behind shouts and an LBW which Parker turned down, which seemed pretty easy to call. Quite shocking over the last week really.

sideshowtim

Banned
I don't think umpiring is any better or worse than it's ever been TBH. Increased technology means increased scrutiny of umpiring decisions. The blokes who umpire the Aussie Tests every year must be fuming when Channel 9 introduce their new piece of 'No, the umpire was wrong' equiptment every year!

archie mac

International Coach
I agree. I don't know if you've seen the NZ vs Bangladesh series but there have been about three caught behind shouts and an LBW which Parker turned down, which seemed pretty easy to call. Quite shocking over the last week really.
See the highlights; Spiderman had a shocker

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
In recent months,quite a few poms have had a good winge about Darryl Hair,Koetzer,and one or two others, well,I hope they saw their "blind" umpire officiating at the MCG in the test between Australia & India,...I saw three blatant Blind umpiring,the worst was when Hogg was bowling to Ganguly,he made no attempt to play the ball,which hit him on the pad,all the Aussies went up screaming for LBW,blind benson said "not out" the electronic machine which shows the flight of the ball showed it would have hit the middle & leg stumps about 20 centimetres below the bails,......the commentators nearly spewed at this wrong decision, fortunately Ganguly didn't last very long afterwards,but it just shows that the pommie umpires also needs a white stick.:@ :@
The notion that English umpires are the best went out with Dickie Bird. By far the best umpire in the World is Simon Taufel and even he had a howler recently.

neville cardus

International Debutant
That is easily the worst post that I have yet read on this forum, underscoring everything that I abhor about modern view-makers. Aside from its being completely inept on a literary scale, it is also odious, impulsive, bitter, obnoxious, clumsy, ill-informed, poorly-considered, cliched, arrogant, whiney, self-justifying and (last but admittedly least of all) replete with such childish grammatical aberrations as overcooked ellipses, misspelt names and non-capitalised proper nouns.

As one of those sorry souls whose monthly ADSL cap is limited to a pittance, I cannot think of anything worse than clicking on an article whose title promises either humour or worthwhile opinion, and receiving instead this wanton collection of glorified bile.

Does CricketWeb have a killfile?

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:laugh: And that's very possibly the most scathing! Certainly in a top-five.

Deservedly so, obviously.

JBMAC

State Captain
That is easily the worst post that I have yet read on this forum, underscoring everything that I abhor about modern view-makers. Aside from its being completely inept on a literary scale, it is also odious, impulsive, bitter, obnoxious, clumsy, ill-informed, poorly-considered, cliched, arrogant, whiney, self-justifying and (last but admittedly least of all) replete with such childish grammatical aberrations as overcooked ellipses, misspelt names and non-capitalised proper nouns.

As one of those sorry souls whose monthly ADSL cap is limited to a pittance, I cannot think of anything worse than clicking on an article whose title promises either humour or worthwhile opinion, and receiving instead this wanton collection of glorified bile.

Top Post NC...I agree 100%

Flem274*

123/5

WHAM!!! Thats a killer blow!

AWTA 100%.

Umpiring is poor these days yes, it could have been this way all along as back in the earlier days of cricket we didn't have all the technology to see if the umpire was right. The NZ vs Bangladesh series has been shocking though, Parker has gone deaf and it seems he couldn't hear a bus running over a screaming baby. Bangladesh will certainly be feeling that way. Tim Southee can feel hard done by as well with his LBW in the 20/20 that was out IMO. There's also been some other poor descisions which I have forgotten but I'm sure others will be able to post them.

Bracken

U19 Debutant
I don't think decision-making performances have changed a great deal over the years. With the improvements in the technology utilised by the respective telecasters, I am of the opinion that the only difference is the scrutiny that the decisions attract.

A prime example is Dickie Bird. He is undoubtedly the finest umpire ever to raise a finger, but I would be interested to see how his self-admitted reticence to give an LBW (particularly if the ball was moving in towards the batsman in the air or off the pitch) would have stood up in the age of hawkeye and ultra fast cameras.

Obviously, this is a hypothesis that isn't able to be proven or disproven very readily, but I would wager that the ratio of correct decisions versus incorrect ones would be pretty static over the years. Occasionally some poor decisions are made, and even more rarely an umpire will make a string of poor decisions and have a bad game. I think the notion that poor decisions are influencing anything but an infinitesimally small number of games is hugely overblown.

The area in which umpiring standards has certainly declined is the control of the game in between deliveries. Harking back to the era of Dickie again, the way that he and his ilk controlled the players' behaviour and suppressed any flare-ups is definitely lacking in today's umpires. That said, I don't think that all of the blame can be placed at the feet of the contemporary umpiring fraternity.

Twenty years ago, the sanctity of umpires' decision was almost absolute. Since that time, there has been a steady flow of powers that have been passed from the umpires to various committees and panels and ICC officials and whatnot. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with moving decisions to people and bodies that may be better able to more accurately consider them, but the way that the changes have taken place has almost exclusively followed an on-field incident that involved the umpires' authority being questioned. The reaction by the ICC has, almost without exception, been to find a politically expedient solution that involved further emasculating the authority of the umpires. You can't expect an umpire to be able to exert as much influence on the flow of the game when the consequences for ignoring the umpire have become so benign and variable.

Another couple of factors that have contributed to this have been the expansion of the game, and the policy of umpires' neutrality. With the way that umpires are perpetually jetting around the world, the opportunity to develop familiarity, friendship and respect between the players and the individual umpires isn't there today, at least to the extent of times past. Whereas a Dickie Bird could rely on the mutual trust and respect developed over the years to help diffuse a potentially explosive situation, that familiarity just doesn't exist anymore, and probably never will again.

(Not to mention, of course, the almost open hostility that has opened up between various political and racial alliances in world cricket. Sadly, instances of that animosity has spread to pretty much all levels, and needless to say the umpire-player relationships are far from immune.)

Add to all of this the explosion in revenues that the game generates, and the litigious manner that big money invariably produces, and umpires just aren't in the position to try and negotiate their way through an on-field situation, and must factor in what a higher authority will adjudicate later. Coupled with the way that some more recent events have transpired, the inevitable result will be umpires and officials looking for the path of least resistance, which is not always the best solution for the game itself.

Unfortunately, I neither see an obvious solution to this, nor do I see the will to revert back to the manner of umpires past. It is a great shame, because the way that umpires like Dickie, Shepherd and the like ran a game only enhanced the credibility of the spectacle.

Last edited: