• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Biggest cricket moment when you've been at the ground

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
No the point it makes sense to look at is the scorebook as that's how many runs he scored.
Yep - and the scorebook showed he scored 19835 runs - even that's only in First-Class cricket.
In this particular dig, he scored 484 without giving a chance for himself to be gotten out.
In the previous one, he'd scored 17 then given a chance for himself to be gotten out.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Please remind me how games are decided.
Please remind me how batsmen are assesed?
Scoring runs without giving the opposition the chance to get them out, isn't it?
Supposedly, at least.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
They showed both, quite clearly.
Just depends which way you look at it.
If you make the definition where one match-innings finishes and the other starts, he made 501*.
If you make it on where he gave the opportunity for dismissal, he scored 17, then 484*.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
No, there is no scorebook in the world that shows anything other than 501* because he scored 501 runs in 1 innings without being dismissed.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
It was scored more quickly, yes, but it wasn't nearly so significant.
Like I say, I've never seen anything more than a handful of strokes from the Old Trafford innings, so I really don't know - but if he was dropped on 46 or whatever he can't, simply, have played as well in the whole innings as he did in the match-head-turning Headingley one.
England were 100 for 5 when Botham did his stuff at Old Trafford, with Australia staring to take the initiative away from England...the speed of Bothams innings in fact ensured England had time to push for a win, as opposed to a draw or infact an Aussie win which probably would have occured if it werent for Bothams innings(that would have made the series 2-2, or at least a beatable 2-1 with two to play).

I dont think the Ol Trafford inning was scored more quickly was it...I think there was a ball in it in the speed that the hundreds came up.

And no matter waht the significance of either innings,the Old Trafford innings was by far the superior one.A lot of Bothams hits in the Headingley innings owed a lot to luck,the guy himself admits he was lucky, things just went right. The OldTrafford innings was just majestic hitting at its very best..and if you think because he gave a chance it wasnt, then you are so wrong its just not funny

Fiery

Banned
I was at the 1992 World Cup semi-final when Inzamam snatched victory away from NZ with a freak innings. I took my new girlfriend at the time and was so gutted I couldn't even talk to her for the rest of the night and she dumped me the next day saying I was ignoring her. She just didn't understand. Those were the worst 2 days of my life :cry:

Marius

International Debutant
This is such a load of rubbish that if you gave a chance when you were on three and went onto score a triple hundred it was a crap innings. Rubbish. That is was of the things of cricket, one must grab your chance when it is there. How many great innings have not had one close LBW shout, or a catch that almost went to hand? Not many. Lara scored 501*, as simple as that. That is what the scorebooks say, not one of them say "scored 501* but was a lucky innings because he was dropped when he had 17, a close LBW shout was turned down on 38, he feathered a nick which no-one noticed on 281, and was plumb LBW on 487". Do they say that? NO!

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Richard,

Dropped catches are a part of cricket, and add to the unpredictability the game offers. This may not appeal to your overanalytical mind, but that's the nuts and bolts of it. Because of your snide comment about Sehwag's 195*, a thread with a lot of potential has turned into another unpleasant Richard special.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
zinzan12 said:
Anyone see Astle's Double against England at Jade Stadium .....That would hace been something to see live !!
I wasn't there - but a couple of my mates (who were living in Christchurch) went along, expecting to see a fairly sedate day's cricket and probably a Black Caps loss (which, sadly, they eventually did).

They went and sat among the Barmy Army, and said the whole afternoon was fantastic, with the Barmy Army getting right behind Astle as he smashed the English bowlers from Jade Stadium to kingdom come.

For me, most of my international cricket has been viewed at the home of Otago rugby, Carisbrook. Memories include:

- watching Willie Watson and Danny Morrison smash around the Aussies (May and Mark Waugh, I think) when the game was well lost in 1992/93.
- being part of the drunken terrace crowd that caused a stoppage after Brett Lee knocked off Parore's helmet in 1999/2000. Strangely enough, considering we started small fires and antagonised a husband and wife in front of us all afternoon, our group of 20 guys only had one thrown out. The husband and wife got thrown out for ramming one of my mates against a metal pole. :D
- watching Bryan Young bring up his 200 against Sri Lanka in 1996/97. At least we would have watched it live from the corporate box, but there was a massive cloud of smoke rising up from the terrace, thanks to some students burning a couch (it was a very cold day), so we had to watch the TV in the corporate box. :laugh:
- Stephen Fleming scoring an outstanding ODI century against Pakistan at Jade Stadium at the start of last year.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Voltman said:
Richard,

Dropped catches are a part of cricket, and add to the unpredictability the game offers. This may not appeal to your overanalytical mind, but that's the nuts and bolts of it. Because of your snide comment about Sehwag's 195*, a thread with a lot of potential has turned into another unpleasant Richard special.
Exactly and it p*sses me off. I had quite a lot of fun thinking about some of the matches I'd seen in the past few years, and the great moments I've witnessed. Sehwag's 195 was one of those moments and was great for me (and every other Indian fan packed in at the MCG, I'm sure others enjoyed it too). The atmosphere on Boxing Day was awesome, and India were already 1-0 up in the series... and then I see such an exciting knock. The first 100 by an Indian player I ever see. I decide to post it and what happens...

Richard makes a predictable petty comment because I used the term 'amazing'. Him crapping on every thread is becoming extremely irritating.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Voltman said:
Richard,

195, not 195*.
Dropped catches are a part of cricket - a regrettable part, but a part nonetheless.
They are NOT, and never will be, a part of quality batting.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jono said:
Exactly and it p*sses me off...
Richard makes a predictable petty comment because I used the term 'amazing'. Him crapping on every thread is becoming extremely irritating.
So... maybe you'd better try to come to terms with it then?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
No, there is no scorebook in the world that shows anything other than 501* because he scored 501 runs in 1 innings without being dismissed.
All scorebooks show that he scored 484* - they just show also that he scored 17 in the same visit to the crease.
Because scorebooks take account of every scoring-stroke individually.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
England were 100 for 5 when Botham did his stuff at Old Trafford, with Australia staring to take the initiative away from England...the speed of Bothams innings in fact ensured England had time to push for a win, as opposed to a draw or infact an Aussie win which probably would have occured if it werent for Bothams innings(that would have made the series 2-2, or at least a beatable 2-1 with two to play).

I dont think the Ol Trafford inning was scored more quickly was it...I think there was a ball in it in the speed that the hundreds came up.

And no matter waht the significance of either innings,the Old Trafford innings was by far the superior one.A lot of Bothams hits in the Headingley innings owed a lot to luck,the guy himself admits he was lucky, things just went right. The OldTrafford innings was just majestic hitting at its very best..and if you think because he gave a chance it wasnt, then you are so wrong its just not funny
So... he'd still have scored the runs if the catch had been taken, would he?
No.
And he doesn't deserve ANY CREDIT WHATSOEVER for the fact that a catch was dropped.
Hence the Headingley innings was the better.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Marius said:
This is such a load of rubbish that if you gave a chance when you were on three and went onto score a triple hundred it was a crap innings. Rubbish. That is was of the things of cricket, one must grab your chance when it is there. How many great innings have not had one close LBW shout, or a catch that almost went to hand?
Two totally different things.
Lbws that should have been out are exactly the same as a dropped catch - something that almost went to hand is just that - almost. There is no circumstance under which they could have been out. Dropped catches and out-lbws, however, are under normal circumstances out.
And the batsman doesn't deserve any credit for them not being.
Not many. Lara scored 501*, as simple as that. That is what the scorebooks say, not one of them say "scored 501* but was a lucky innings because he was dropped when he had 17, a close LBW shout was turned down on 38, he feathered a nick which no-one noticed on 281, and was plumb LBW on 487". Do they say that? NO!
Exactly. So we need to use something that DOES say that.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
So... he'd still have scored the runs if the catch had been taken, would he?
No.
And he doesn't deserve ANY CREDIT WHATSOEVER for the fact that a catch was dropped.
Hence the Headingley innings was the better.
..but of course, It wasnt :p