• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Biggest cricket moment when you've been at the ground

PY

International Coach
Samuel_Vimes said:
That doesn't really say a lot. I'm sure he must have been the only Englishman who has scored a fifty while being drunk on free Strongbow and munching on free chicken wings from the Hooters girls.
:laugh:

Hats off.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
heheheh..the point is he didnt get out.
Yet he did everything that would normally result in his getting out.
Which is enough.
Jono stated that that innings was a big moment for him whilst watching...doesnt reflect on his ability as a player or anything, just that it was a great innings to watch.
Which is fair enough - I am, however, entitled to point-out that most of the innings wouldn't have happened but for a dropped catch.
And what about the 150 runs after the chance?????He still had the ability to score those runs anyway!!!!
Yes, and well batted - but he'd not have had the chance but for the dropped catch.
Richard.you need to start looking at what other people enjoy in the game.Its not all about averages or whatever, its about getting stuck in there out in the middle,and the people watching enjoying it.
DDDDRRRR!!!!!!! :@ :dry:
It's about batting and bowling well - which is expressed by number: of runs per wicket and and wickets per run! And this is cumulated, to make AVERAGES!!!!
Like it or not, cricket is about winning and not losing, and results are concerned only with one thing - numbers. There are all sorts of things that contribute to the numbers, yes, but at the end of the day it's all in pursuit of those numbers.
Ian Bothams 118 at Old Trafford in 81...I seem to remember him giving the odd chance (Mike Whitney dropped a steepler I think before Botham had scored 50)....it was still one of the great innings and if you tried telling anyone who watched it at the ground or on TV any different, you would probably get a swift poke in the eyeball.
How many times people must try to use this infernal example, I don't know...
There is absolutely no way Botham could have been out at any point during the innings.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
You unimpressed with Lara's 501 then Richard?
God, how many times do we have to do this? :huh:
I'm exceedingly impressed with his 484*, yes - but it wouldn't have happened but for a dropped catch on 17.
There is just no two ways about that, and while some might not be bothered, it'll always be a hollow record for me and there's nothing I'd enjoy more than someone - ideally Lara - scoring a chanceless 502*.

twctopcat

International Regular
Richard said:
How many times people must try to use this infernal example, I don't know...
There is absolutely no way Botham could have been out at any point during the innings.
I could've sworn he got dropped in this innings, have got bothams ashes on video.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
twctopcat said:
I could've sworn he got dropped in this innings, have got bothams ashes on video.
He gave something that vaguely resembled a chance - there was never any realistic possibility of him being dismissed.

twctopcat

International Regular
Richard said:
He gave something that vaguely resembled a chance - there was never any realistic possibility of him being dismissed.
Hmmm, if i remember the catcher (can't remember who) was running to long off and the he **** himself and misjudged it. Definitely not a katich but do able.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
twctopcat said:
Hmmm, if i remember the catcher (can't remember who) was running to long off and the he **** himself and misjudged it. Definitely not a katich but do able.
If that's the one I'm thinking of I reckon it'd have been a catch-of-the-century - d'you know how much the wind was swirling around, too?

twctopcat

International Regular
Richard said:
If that's the one I'm thinking of I reckon it'd have been a catch-of-the-century - d'you know how much the wind was swirling around, too?
It was a normal summer day, in lancashire - interpret that as you wish
*walks off whistling*

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Do you see any sun in that picture to your side? Do you see the players' clothing blowing in the wind? (No, probably not - the fps ratio's probably too low) And you certainly don't hear the mics making the noise they made - the sort of noise mics make in a constant breeze.
And finally, DO YOU SEE HEADINGLEY IN LANCASHIRE? NO, YOU DO NOT. YOU WILL FIND IT IN YORKSHIRE, AND YORKSHIRE ALONE!!!!!!!!!! :@ :@ :@ :@

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
OK, I'm now alerted to something. I've got the wrong innings - Swervy wasn't talking about the famous 149*, he was talking about the subsequent 118 off 103 balls.
As for this innings, I have no idea - I've only ever seen 6 or 7 strokes from it (mostly hooks off Lillee).
The 149*, however, was 100% clean and a quite magnificent innings.

twctopcat

International Regular
Richard said:
Do you see any sun in that picture to your side? Do you see the players' clothing blowing in the wind? (No, probably not - the fps ratio's probably too low) And you certainly don't hear the mics making the noise they made - the sort of noise mics make in a constant breeze.
And finally, DO YOU SEE HEADINGLEY IN LANCASHIRE? NO, YOU DO NOT. YOU WILL FIND IT IN YORKSHIRE, AND YORKSHIRE ALONE!!!!!!!!!! :@ :@ :@ :@
I always thought old trafford was in lancashire, though i haven't been there so may be wrong, because beefy def scored the 118 at OT. And you must calm down Richard, i wasn't making trouble, merely ironically agreeing with you that the weather was a tad inclement, chill winston!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, no, I was just playing the angry Yorkshireman.
I mean, you don't say a place in Yorkshire was in Lancashire without enraging a self-respecting Yorkshireman.
I'm not really hopping mad, it's joke-rage. :) Sorry, didn't mean to give the wrong impression.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
OK, I'm now alerted to something. I've got the wrong innings - Swervy wasn't talking about the famous 149*, he was talking about the subsequent 118 off 103 balls.
As for this innings, I have no idea - I've only ever seen 6 or 7 strokes from it (mostly hooks off Lillee).
The 149*, however, was 100% clean and a quite magnificent innings.
you are right..Botham didnt give a chance in the Headingley innings,and yet,I think,...and Botham thinks..and pretty much everyone I have heard talk about it, or seen writing about it,says the Old Trafford innings was the better innings (despite the one chance given...actually I think Botham gave a chance to John Dyson at 3rd man as well,might be wrong on that)

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
DDDDRRRR!!!!!!! :@ :dry:
It's about batting and bowling well - which is expressed by number: of runs per wicket and and wickets per run! And this is cumulated, to make AVERAGES!!!!
Like it or not, cricket is about winning and not losing, and results are concerned only with one thing - numbers. There are all sorts of things that contribute to the numbers, yes, but at the end of the day it's all in pursuit of those numbers.

QUOTE]

yeah and have a look at how many Sehwag scored in that very innings.....as you say, thats all that counts