• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best XI's ever put out in a test match by each country?

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Come to think of it Steve Waugh is a decent shout for best batsman during the years '93 - '95. Went ape**** in England in 1993 and then stood tall against the Windies in '95.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I was trying to find a test where Hunte-Weekes-Walcott-Worrell-Sobers-Kanhai all played

Found one with Weekes-Walcott-Worrell-Sobers-Kanhai, which is a better batting lineup than in their 80s heyday, but the bowling was pretty meh as it was slightly before Hall and Gibbs had debuted

I think from that era the best all round XI I could I find was this

5th test Port of Spain 1960

Hunte
McMorris
Alexander+
Sobers
Walcott
Worrell
Kanhai
Ramadhin
Hall
Griffith
Watson

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This one from the 2004 series vs Australia is very close to SL's all time XI. Then again, most of SL's all time XI are from one generation so meh.

Atapattu
Jayasuriya
Samaraweera
Jayawardene
Sangakkara
Dilshan
Hashan Tillekeratne
Vaas
Zoysa
Herath
Muralitharan

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
This one from the 2004 series vs Australia is very close to SL's all time XI. Then again, most of SL's all time XI are from one generation so meh.

Atapattu
Jayasuriya
Samaraweera
Jayawardene
Sangakkara
Dilshan
Hashan Tillekeratne
Vaas
Zoysa
Herath
Muralitharan
Hard to beat that. Eclipses even the '96 team.

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
Last edited:

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Very solid looking pair of teams there, I'd like to see a peak 80's NZ team for reference.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Would be interested to see a best Zimbabwe XI. Hypothetically a bowling lineup of Streak, Brandes, Olonga and Strang would be genuinely formidable, but I don't think they all ever played together.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Would be interested to see a best Zimbabwe XI. Hypothetically a bowling lineup of Streak, Brandes, Olonga and Strang would be genuinely formidable, but I don't think they all ever played together.
I wouldn't mind betting it was during the Houghton years. Or maybe during the short time when Murray Goodwin was part of the side.

TheJediBrah

Really? Other than Streak those guys are barely first-class standard

TheJediBrah

Yeah never really saw Brandes tbh but I remember seeing Olonga (might even have been a replay) after hearing that he was one of Zimbabwe's premier bowlers and being shocked at how ordinary he was

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah Olonga is a bit overrated IMO. Always regarded Pommie Mbangwa to be better than him. Possibly even David Brain too. Brandes & Streak are a cut above the rest though.

Peter Rawson, who is a bit before my time, is also a decent shout for Zim's ATG pacer.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Flower only did one Shield season, he didn't really do that great but he was still one of the best in the South Australian team that season. Still a class batsman though.

EDIT: Rawson is a good call, never seen him bowl myself but have heard he was quick and hostile back in his day. Eddo Brandes was definitely a class bowler.

Last edited:

vandem

International 12th Man
Very solid looking pair of teams there, I'd like to see a peak 80's NZ team for reference.
Best NZ team need to be from the mid 80s era of peak Hadlee + blossoming Martin Crowe.

83-84 vs Eng
Wright Edgar - Howarth(c) M Crowe J Crowe Coney - Smith - Boock - Hadlee Cairns Chatfield

85-86 in Aus
Wright Edgar - Reid M Crowe Coney(c) J Crowe - Smith - J Bracewell - Hadlee Cairns Chatfield

49ers were good, even better if they could have picked Tom Prichard for the tests (as per Hadlee in 90). Cowie Prichard Burtt + another would have been the (second?) best test attack in the world in 49.

morgieb

I have a feeling Zimbos best sides would've come pre-Test cricket. O/c their side would've looked stronger when you add Hick and Curran (for example) to it.