• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best & Worst Declarations

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
On the other hand, if the captain does such a thing and they end up getting the win in the last over as light is fading, then I think all should be forgiven as far as the slight to the batsman goes.
Not really, because at the time, the difference in a few minutes is unlikely to make a difference. If they've already been out for twelve hours making 399*, denying the batsman an extra two minutes to get his world record is petty, vindictive and is just asking for a fractured locker room.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Not really, because at the time, the difference in a few minutes is unlikely to make a difference. If they've already been out for twelve hours making 399*, denying the batsman an extra two minutes to get his world record is petty, vindictive and is just asking for a fractured locker room.
Wouldn't justify a player not speaking to the captain though.

Although I agree that that situation is a bit extreme my point still stands. A captain should not have to feel he is hampered in making a declaration due to what are from the team's perspective, pointless milestones.

Who knows if the said batsmen would get the record in two minutes, or might get a case of the nervous 390s and scratch around for a number of precious overs.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It would justify the player running up the stairs and getting into a first fight, to be honest.

Although I agree that that situation is a bit extreme my point still stands. A captain should not have to feel he is hampered in making a declaration due to what are from the team's perspective, pointless milestones.
Its not about waiting for a player who is on 40* to get a century. We aren't talking about that. Waiting a few minutes here and there for a personal milestone improves the morale of the whole team, more-so than if you've got pissed off players because you suck as a man-manager.

BoyBrumby

Englishman

Who knows if the said batsmen would get the record in two minutes, or might get a case of the nervous 390s and scratch around for a number of precious overs.
I think most captains (assuming they aren't at the crease) would send out the 12th man with some gloves or A. N. Other suitable pretext to the bloke on the verge of his milestone and tell him he's got X balls/overs before time is called.

Just seems a bit spiteful if not. It is a team game, but personal milestones do matter.

shortpitched713

International Captain
I think most captains (assuming they aren't at the crease) would send out the 12th man with some gloves or A. N. Other suitable pretext to the bloke on the verge of his milestone and tell him he's got X balls/overs before time is called.
Agree thats probably the best way to go about it.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

Just seems a bit spiteful if not. It is a team game, but personal milestones do matter.
Yup, thats a perfectly fine way of handling it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Atherton had some element of mitigating circumstances; he'd been accused - by the Ian Chappell brigade, naturally 8-) - of negative thinking in the previous Test. He was, hence, determined to give-off a let's-try-for-the-win mentality. He realised, not very long after, that this was a mistake, as he realised 4 years later that he was mistaken to get sucked-in by perceived "Australianisms" when he played barely half-fit through most of The Ashes 1998\99. That series more than any other has tainted his legacy and it's such a shame it happened.

subshakerz

International Coach
Its not about waiting for a player who is on 40* to get a century. We aren't talking about that. Waiting a few minutes here and there for a personal milestone improves the morale of the whole team, more-so than if you've got pissed off players because you suck as a man-manager.
Imran Khan once created a huge furore in Pakistan by declaring in a match against India in 1983 when Javed Miandad was unbeaten on 280. Would you consider that wrong?

http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1980S/1982-83/IND_IN_PAK/IND_PAK_T4_14-19JAN1983.html

Imran insisted it was because he didn't believe in records, but it never really sat well with Miandad, who dedicated an entire chapter of his autobiography on this incident.

To Imran's credit, he is the only captain to declare with himself being in the 90s, I guess he didnt believe in personal milestones.

http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1991-92/SL_IN_PAK/SL_PAK_T1_12-17DEC1991.html

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Have to admit to having been impressed when Tubby declared overnight when he was on 334* himself. Although the fact that he'd equalled Sir Donald's (then) highest test score by an Aussie may've been a factor too.

Admirably selfless all the same.
But mad to think he ever had a chance of winning the game on that pitch. :p Terrible declaration, should have batted on and aimed for the 800-mark.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Imran Khan once created a huge furore in Pakistan by declaring in a match against India in 1983 when Javed Miandad was unbeaten on 280. Would you consider that wrong?

http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1980S/1982-83/IND_IN_PAK/IND_PAK_T4_14-19JAN1983.html

Imran insisted it was because he didn't believe in records, but it never really sat well with Miandad, who dedicated an entire chapter of his autobiography on this incident.

To Imran's credit, he is the only captain to declare with himself being in the 90s, I guess he didnt believe in personal milestones.

http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1991-92/SL_IN_PAK/SL_PAK_T1_12-17DEC1991.html
Interesting, had never heard of that before.

Strange because Imran is and always has been thought of as being such a superb man-manager of exactly people like Javed.

subshakerz

International Coach

Strange because Imran is and always has been thought of as being such a superb man-manager of exactly people like Javed.
Imran was a bit obsessive in his belief that every effort should be for victory and not personal glory/records. Also, Miandad was still 85 runs away from Gary Sobers' record, but I can understand why Miandad would be miffed.

shortpitched713

International Captain

With Javed it wasn't so much man-management as keeping a potential rival in his place.

Craig

World Traveller
Haha, that's impressive. I thought I had a good mind for stats. Well, I do have a good mind for random info, but lately I've been forgetting a lot of it. Haven't watched cricket in so long I probably forget the rules these days, same goes for footy with the exception of the odd France match here and there.

Roll on the 19th Dec - back to England for two weeks. :)
It will seem strange having to speak English all the time again. I spent two weeks there and when I got to the UK it took me a day or two to get my brain thinking in English. Simple things like say 'thank you' rather then 'merci'.

TheLad

School Boy/Girl Captain
Among the worst non declarations (not to it was well too late anyway) has a new nominee today in First Class cricket anyway. WA batting through most of the last day and setting Tassie more 500 to win in bugger all time when Tassie have been crap in the Pura Cup all year stinks of weakness.

33/3from3.3

International Vice-Captain
Think there was a thread about this a week or two ago, about Somerset's declaration on.....wait for it.....1 run.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Hansie Cronje and English Captain (Hussain maybe) in a Test Match in South Africa where both teams declared the first innings without batting was a very good declaration IMO.

It was kinda controversal but was good for the game.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Hansie Cronje and English Captain (Hussain maybe) in a Test Match in South Africa where both teams declared the first innings without batting was a very good declaration IMO.

Interestingly, a few commentators actually did praise Cronje for his actions at the time as he (with Nasser's unwitting collusion) had breathed life into an otherwise inevitable draw, but the fact that he did it at the bookmakers'/match-fixers' behest means that it was absolutely ****ing awful for the game. One of the main tenents of sport is that all competitors are legitimately trying to win.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
It will seem strange having to speak English all the time again. I spent two weeks there and when I got to the UK it took me a day or two to get my brain thinking in English. Simple things like say 'thank you' rather then 'merci'.
Yeah, can imagine. I'm looking forward to people in the street actually trying to avoid me, instead of just walking into me and then following it up with "Pardon". I'm also looking forward to beer that comes in pints, seeing my friends, watching some football, watching some cricket...man, I'd need my own thread to tell you all the things I'm looking forward to about coming home, even for two weeks! :laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Interestingly, a few commentators actually did praise Cronje for his actions at the time as he (with Nasser's unwitting collusion) had breathed life into an otherwise inevitable draw, but the fact that he did it at the bookmakers'/match-fixers' behest means that it was absolutely ****ing awful for the game. One of the main tenents of sport is that all competitors are legitimately trying to win.
Perhaps, then, it'd be most accurate to say that any such declaration where the idea was that of someone other than a gambler would have been a good one.

It's interesting that that game was never fixed in the classic manner. The person responsible, Marlon Aronstram, planned to beat the bookmakers. Normally, it's the bookmakers who get involved to try and beat the punters.

Cronje, in short, was interested not in breathing life into the game, but getting a result. Which meant that a South African victory was the best outcome for him, an England victory the second. And to ensure against the draw, he, er, cunningly brought himself on just when it looked like England were going to shut-up shop.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Perhaps, then, it'd be most accurate to say that any such declaration where the idea was that of someone other than a gambler would have been a good one.

It's interesting that that game was never fixed in the classic manner. The person responsible, Marlon Aronstram, planned to beat the bookmakers. Normally, it's the bookmakers who get involved to try and beat the punters.

Cronje, in short, was interested not in breathing life into the game, but getting a result. Which meant that a South African victory was the best outcome for him, an England victory the second. And to ensure against the draw, he, er, cunningly brought himself on just when it looked like England were going to shut-up shop.
It's an interesting viewpoint. Captains have colluded in the county championship since it began to set agreed targets to give the possibility of a result, but before that tour it was unheard of in tests. I remember being stunned rigid that we'd won, having left for work (& having no internet access at work back then) with the 5th day about to begin and SA's 1st innings still in progress. When I flicked on teletext (this was the dark ages) to read the details I was surprised, but didn't suspect anything amiss at all. Cronje was seen at the time as a paragon of Calvinist rectitude, so the idea that he'd "fix" a match was laughable.

What is undeniable is that it created an exciting finish to a test match, which is usually a good thing. Unfortunately the circumstances are such that no two captains are likely to come to a similar arrangement any time soon because the finger of suspicion would inevitably point in their directions. Which is maybe a pity.