• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best vs Rest

Langeveldt

Soutie
Lions81 said:
Gibbs and Tuffey have no real business in that lineup, and if Bond is fit, then neither does Ntini. Sehwag is a better opener than Gibbs is, not by much, but by enough, and so is Vaughan.

But are we now talking about a Test lineup or an ODI lineup? Because Dravid keeping in a Test is bad news for me. But I suppose there really isn't any other better keeper who can bat. Sangakkara would be an option for me.
I very much prefer an excellent batsman who can keep wicket a bit over an excellent keeper who is a weak batsman.. Thats why Dravid gets the nod, although Sangakkara did cross my mind more than once...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Langeveldt said:
I very much prefer an excellent batsman who can keep wicket a bit over an excellent keeper who is a weak batsman.. Thats why Dravid gets the nod, although Sangakkara did cross my mind more than once...
Dravid in a World XI as keeper is irrational and would never happen.

He's a class batsman, but a keeper he isn't, and I'd say to pick him is an insult to keepers the world over, especially when he doesn't keep for his country in Tests.

Loony BoB

International Captain
I guess it all depends on what you're trying to go for - the team that would be the most effective team in the world, or the team that would be the "best of each area"... or something. If you know what I mean. :) I thought we were meant to be going for the team most likely to win in all areas, not the individuals who are most deserving to get in due to excellence in their specific domains. And with that in mind, I, too, put Dravid in as wicky. I'd definitely pick differently if it was all about the amazing individuals of the current players of the world. More like this:

G. Smith - Arguably the best opener in the world.
Gibbs - Because I think Smith and Gibbs shouldn't be seperated.
Lara - Arguably the best bataman in the world.
Tendulkar - Arguably the best batsman in the world.
Fleming (c) - Almost undisputedly the best captain in the world.
Kallis - All those centuries in such a short time, and his bowling isn't too bad.
Pollock - Arguably the best all rounder in the world.
Muralitharan - Arguably the best spinner in the world - and without Aussie players, definitely.
Bond - Arguably the best true-fast bowler in the world ... although if he doesn't show it in the English tour, he's out of this team.

I'm edging to Boucher or even Jacobs for wicky, but I don't think I'm in a position to say who really should go there, as you need to watch cricket and I don't get enough time to do that with my full time job and my lack of money to pay for Sky Sport with. =/ I wouldn't put Harmison for the same reason I wouldn't put any other bowler in purely because they had one good series against relatively poor opposition. I mean, people are saying Sehwag shouldn't be in for the same reasons, so hey. Who to put in for the last bowler... hrmm. I'm just not sure. I could almost say Cairns for his all rounder skills. Maybe I will drop Gibbs and put another of the existing batsmen in as opener... grr. This is tougher than I thought. :(

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Loony BoB said:
Bond - Arguably the best true-fast bowler in the world ... although if he doesn't show it in the English tour, he's out of this team.

Far and away the most controversial call there.

Loony BoB

International Captain
I admit I'm a bias New Zealander. :) I did make it clear though that it's injurty dependant. Just because he hasn't played enough test matches doesn't mean he hasn't proved his worth in ODI's... The fact that I'm more fond of the ODI's than tests probably influences my views on cricket, too. Actually, aren't the Aussie-World matches ODI's?

pskov

International 12th Man
My ROW vs Aus team:

Smith
Sehwag
Lara
Tendulkar
Ul Haq (c)
Kallis
Pollock
Boucher (w)
Akhtar
Muralitharan
Harmison

Craig

World Traveller
Here goes:

ROW XI v Australia (Tests only)

*GC Smith
MP Vaughan (only because a good record against the, otherwise Sehwag)
BC Lara
SR Tendulkar
VVS Laxman
JH Kallis/HH Streak
+RD Jacobs
SK Warne
SM Pollock
Shoaib
M Muralitharan

Asian XI v ROW XI

Habibul Bashar
V Sehwag
*R Dravid
SR Tendulkar
VVS Laxman
Inzi
+Moin Khan
A Kumble
WUPJC Vaas
Shoaib
M Muralitharan

ROW

GC Smith
ML Hayden
*RT Ponting
BC Lara
GP Thorpe
+RD Jacobs
HH Streak
SK Warne
SM Pollock
JN Gillespie
SP Harmison

Eclipse

International Debutant
Craig said:
Here goes:

ROW XI v Australia (Tests only)

*GC Smith
BC Lara
SR Tendulkar
VVS Laxman
JH Kallis/HH Streak
+RD Jacobs
SK Warne
SM Pollock
Shoaib
M Muralitharan

Asian XI v ROW XI

Habibul Bashar
V Sehwag
*R Dravid
SR Tendulkar
VVS Laxman
Inzi
+Moin Khan
A Kumble
WUPJC Vaas
Shoaib
M Muralitharan

ROW

GC Smith
ML Hayden
*RT Ponting
BC Lara
GP Thorpe
+RD Jacobs
HH Streak
SK Warne
SM Pollock
JN Gillespie
SP Harmison
How can you have Warne in a team thats supposed to play Australia??

And why would anyone in there right mind select anyone but Gilchrist as keeper?? The only guy I consider to be a better keeper than Gilly is Tibu and he is just not a good enough batsman. Jacobds is probably just as good a keeper as Gilly but again not as good with the bat.

Gilchrist is NOT a bad keeper and really there is no one signifigantly better than him with the gloves playing International cricket.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
You'd have to pick Shane Bond on previous form. Afterall he's been one of the few fast bowlers to consistently take wickets against the current Aus side & actually strike a bit of fear into them.

I read an article at Cricinfo where John Buchanan said he rated Gillespie, Bond & Shoaib as being the best genuine quicks around.
It's hard to disagree with an international coach that coaches by far the best side.

Craig

World Traveller
*GC Smith
BC Lara
SR Tendulkar
VVS Laxman
JH Kallis/HH Streak
+RD Jacobs
A Kumble
SM Pollock
Shoaib
M Muralitharan

Better?

With a strong batting line-up is Gilchrist really needed?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Big disagree on Graeme Smith as this World XI Captain. He's been very good at leading from the front with the bat but when it comes to tactics in the field he's been found wanting against the better sides.
I thought his captaincy in the field was indeed part of the reason why South Africa struggled so badly in NZ at times, especially in the ODI's.

That doesn't mean to say he won't ever become good at it...Stephen Fleming was very much the same when he first began.

Now this will be an ODI Series so forget about Tests. Quite clearly you want the best players for their respective positions & Stephen Fleming is the best Captain currently so somehow he must fit into that team.
Let's not also forget that Fleming's ODI Form has been far different to his recent test form also.

Sorry Marc but it's Michael Vaughan who has to go.
Michael Vaughan has played his last 13 innings as Captain at an average of 31.
Compare this to Fleming who as Captain in his last 13 innings has averaged around 43.
Now if you add in Captaincy then Fleming is by far the better option even to open in this series.

tooextracool

International Coach
Craig said:
*GC Smith
BC Lara
SR Tendulkar
VVS Laxman
JH Kallis/HH Streak
+RD Jacobs
A Kumble
SM Pollock
Shoaib
M Muralitharan

Better?

so what is jacobs doing in there then?gilchrist is just about as reliable as jacobs with the gloves and a much much better batsman. the absence of dravid baffles me after he absolutely hammered the aussies in australia earlier in the yr. and 2 spinners?is this match being playing in Sri lanka?

Craig

World Traveller
tooextracool said:
so what is jacobs doing in there then?gilchrist is just about as reliable as jacobs with the gloves and a much much better batsman. the absence of dravid baffles me after he absolutely hammered the aussies in australia earlier in the yr. and 2 spinners?is this match being playing in Sri lanka?
Dravid is unlucky to miss out. I guess Kallis would drop out and Dravid would bat at 3, and everyone drop down one stop with the keeper at 7. I can take out Kumble and put in Vaas.

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
Craig said:
Dravid is unlucky to miss out. I guess Kallis would drop out and Dravid would bat at 3, and everyone drop down one stop with the keeper at 7. I can take out Kumble and put in Vaas.
Drop Kumble and put in Vaas? Isn't the point to try to win the games?

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
Tim said:
It's hard to disagree with an international coach that coaches by far the best side.
By far the best ODI side, but not by far the best Test Side. Beat India first.

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
Craig said:
Also Craig, watch out. You're not supposed to get pudding in your eye.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Craig said:
*GC Smith
BC Lara
SR Tendulkar
VVS Laxman
JH Kallis/HH Streak
+RD Jacobs
A Kumble
SM Pollock
Shoaib
M Muralitharan

Better?

You seem to have this idea that Gilchrist is a substanded keeper.

He is not the best keeper in the world but there is no one around currently playing international cricket that is substancialy better if they are any better at all.

If you are going pick your keeper for a world or ROW X1 based on keeping skill alone then forget those playing International cricket there are guys going around in domestic cricket who are even better than anyone playing International cricket problem is they wont get a game because they are not that good batsman.