• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best visiting Test batsmen in each country

capt_Luffy

International Regular
Nah Kohli is the greatest batsmen to visit there, dominated Steyn, Philander and Morke in 2013, peak Philanader, Rabada and Morkel in 2018, and had decent tours otherwise too. Stokes only had Morkel and Rabada to contend with in 2015. Plus Stokes didn’t face nightmare tracks unlike Kohli(SA are notorious for giving worse tracks to Asian countries).
Even in the last series which brought down his average; Kohli had a great start in the first match first innings which he failed to convert, was India's sole batsman in the second innings and only got out as he ran out of partners and played a brilliant knock in the first innings of the second Test.

HouHsiaoHsien

State Captain
Dravid or even Gooch over Gavaskar in WI. Dravid did well v Ambrose/Walsh before two iconic performances on Sabina Park minefields later in his career. Gooch scored over 50% of England's runs in tons at Sabina Park and Kensington Oval v ATG attacks.

S Waugh one of the best there. Very good v uneven bounce and iconic performances.

Would consider Ponting in SA. Think Kohli is the king there. Outstanding consistency on some demonic pitches v gun attacks.

Tendulkar in Australia. Viv wasn't ultra consistent there but in terms of skill set he's hard to look past.

Perhaps Martin Crowe in Pakistan. Very highly rated v reverse swing and has an elite hundred there v an ATG at the peak of his powers.

S Smith has to be in the England discussion for his 2019 tour. Sangakkara in NZ too. He has three world class hundreds there.
I’d slightly put Viv over Tendulkar in Australia cause of the former’s 1979 series(and even 1975, where he was the only one to step up to Lillee and Thommo on some really bouncy pitches), and high SR. Don’t think Tendulkar had that good a series in Aus(in 99, only Mcgrath was in form, Warne was in the worst phase of his career)

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
I’d slightly put Viv over Tendulkar in Australia cause of the former’s 1979 series(and even 1975, where he was the only one to step up to Lillee and Thommo on some really bouncy pitches), and high SR. Don’t think Tendulkar had that good a series in Aus(in 99, only Mcgrath was in form, Warne was in the worst phase of his career)
Tendulkar slightly more consistent there but yeah Viv had an ATG tour and was born to bat in Australian conditions.

capt_Luffy

International Regular
Imo, Viv's 76 tour is a bit overrated..... He was WI's second best bat after Lloyd and Fredericks and Kallicharan also scored around the same runs at a similar average. 79 is GoATed though.

HouHsiaoHsien

State Captain
Imo, Viv's 76 tour is a bit overrated..... He was WI's second best bat after Lloyd and Fredericks and Kallicharan also scored around the same runs at a similar average. 79 is GoATed though.
It wasn’t ATG, but pretty good. And Viv was the 2nd highest scorer with 426 runs for WI, and in the second half of the series properly dominated the Aussie attack.

capt_Luffy

International Regular
Dravid or even Gooch over Gavaskar in WI. Dravid did well v Ambrose/Walsh before two iconic performances on Sabina Park minefields later in his career. Gooch scored over 50% of England's runs in tons at Sabina Park and Kensington Oval v ATG attacks.

S Waugh one of the best there. Very good v uneven bounce and iconic performances.

Would consider Ponting in SA. Think Kohli is the king there. Outstanding consistency on some demonic pitches v gun attacks.

Tendulkar in Australia. Viv wasn't ultra consistent there but in terms of skill set he's hard to look past.

Perhaps Martin Crowe in Pakistan. Very highly rated v reverse swing and has an elite hundred there v an ATG at the peak of his powers.

S Smith has to be in the England discussion for his 2019 tour. Sangakkara in NZ too. He has three world class hundreds there.
Dravid also played some pretty mid WI attacks. Gooch is closer, probably even ahead of Gavaskar.

Ponting is probably 6th at SA, behind Stokes. Played some pretty mid attacks there and lacks truly iconic knocks.

Tendulkar and Viv both are very close but behind Hutton imo.

Crowe is a great shout, as is Sanga. Would update those alongside Gooch (though Gavaskar scored a **** ton of runs in the 71 tour, India's second away Test series victory and first Test victory outside of NZ).

capt_Luffy

International Regular
It wasn’t ATG, but pretty good. And Viv was the highest scorer with 426 runs for WI, and in the second half of the series properly dominated the Aussie attack.
Viv was the second highest scorer behind Lloyd.

Lloyd: 469 @47
Viv: 426 @39
Kallicharan: 421 @38
Fredericks: 417 @38

Viv did dominate in the last two Tests, but was actually pretty poor in the first half. No doubt a very good series considering opposition strength and pitches, but definitely not ATG or a one man show.

Qlder

International 12th Man
Did you miss that WI lost 5-1 due to Lillee and Thommo dominance, so a young Viv Richards stood up well. 1979/80 was great but other than Lillee he faced a post injured Thonmo (was never the same after shoulder injury) and an oldish Pascoe, Hogg, Walker and Dymock.

HouHsiaoHsien

State Captain
Did you miss that WI lost 5-1 due to Lillee and Thommo dominance, so a young Viv Richards stood up well. 1979/80 was great but other than Lillee he faced a post injured Thonmo (was never the same after shoulder injury) and an oldish Pascoe, Hogg, Walker and Dymock.
Thommo was pretty good even till 1979, Lillee was amazing , and he also faced Rodney Hogg who was one of the best bowlers in the world then(he had destroyed England in the Ashes prior). Lillee, Hogg and Thommo made an amazing attack

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
Dravid also played some pretty mid WI attacks. Gooch is closer, probably even ahead of Gavaskar.

Ponting is probably 6th at SA, behind Stokes. Played some pretty mid attacks there and lacks truly iconic knocks.

Tendulkar and Viv both are very close but behind Hutton imo.

Crowe is a great shout, as is Sanga. Would update those alongside Gooch (though Gavaskar scored a **** ton of runs in the 71 tour, India's second away Test series victory and first Test victory outside of NZ).
Yeah when I did a trio for each I included Hutton for Aus.

Gooch 1981 beats Dravid 1997 convincingly. Not sure I'd include Gavaskar though. Outstanding application v the mediocre attacks faced there but think he'd need to do a bit better in 82.

capt_Luffy

International Regular
I never said he did bad, but it wasn't certainly ATG stuff or even the best from WI.

capt_Luffy

International Regular
Yeah when I did a trio for each I included Hutton for Aus.

Gooch 1981 beats Dravid 1997 convincingly. Not sure I'd include Gavaskar though. Outstanding application v the mediocre attacks faced there but think he'd need to do a bit better in 82.
He was pretty good against a strong attack of Holding and Roberts in 76 though; 2 centuries and a hard fought 66, averaging 55. But yeah, he failed in the 83 series, that's why I think Amarnath was better there than him.

Qlder

International 12th Man
Thommo was pretty good even till 1979, Lillee was amazing , and he also faced Rodney Hogg who was one of the best bowlers in the world then(he had destroyed England in the Ashes prior). Lillee, Hogg and Thommo made an amazing attack
On paper and on the ch9 TV commercials yes. I remember being so excited that Lillee, Thommo, Hogg and Pascoe would blitz the opposition, and they did in the 3 Test series vs England. Other than Lillee they didn't do so well against the mighty Windies though which is understandable in hindsight given that was the start of the Windies 16 years of total dominance over world cricket

Last edited:

HouHsiaoHsien

State Captain
On paper and on the ch9 TV commercials yes. I remember being so excited that Lillee, Thommo, Hogg and Pascoe would blitz the opposition, and they did in the 3 Test series vs England. Other than Lillee they didn't do so well against the mighty Windies though which is understandable in hindsight given that was the start of the Windies 16 years of total dominance over world cricket
A reason they didn’t do as well probably was cause they were against a great team, but doesn’t make the attack any less brilliant. It was Viv who made them look ordinary

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I heard that Sunil Gavaskar loves the QPO in Trinidad. I haven’t even looked at his stats there.

But over at Bourda, that ground is synonymous with New Zealand’s Glenn Turner. A kid in my village was named after him by his grandfather. Impactful.

capt_Luffy

International Regular
I heard that Sunil Gavaskar loves the QPO in Trinidad. I haven’t even looked at his stats there.

But over at Bourda, that ground is synonymous with New Zealand’s Glenn Turner. A kid in my village was named after him by his grandfather. Impactful.
5 matches, 793 runs, 4 centuries (including a double), 2 half centuries, average 99.

Blenkinsop

U19 Vice-Captain
Graeme Smith in England, surely? Averaged nearly 70 across 12 matches when England generally had pretty good attacks. Whilst opening.

Steve Smith "only" averages 55 in England, albeit from more Tests.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year

Think he really only performed at Bourda and the QPO though.