• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best visiting Test batsmen in each country

capt_Luffy

International Regular
According to you, who are the best visiting batsmen in each country? I will probably go with Top 4 in each:

England: Don Bradman, Viv Richards, Rahul Dravid, Steve Smith

Australia: Wally Hammond, Ken Barrington, Jack Hobbs, Len Hutton

West Indies: Steve Waugh, Mohinder Amarnath, Graham Gooch, Len Hutton

South Africa: Virat Kohli, Sachin Tendulkar, Steve Waugh, Jack Hobbs

India: Steve Smith, Clive Lloyd, Andy Flower, Alaistar Cook

Pakistan: Sunil Gavaskar, Allan Border, Sanath Jayasuriya, Virendra Sehwag

New Zealand: Javed Miandad, Greg Chappell, Allan Border, Kumar Sangakkara

Sri Lanka: Brian Lara, Stephen Fleming, Virendra Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar

Zimbabwe: Jacques Kallis, Marvanam Atapattu, Rahul Dravid, Younis Khan

Bangladesh: Sachin Tendulkar, Younis Khan, Kumar Sangakkara, Mahela Jayawardene

UAE (non Pakistainis) : AB de Villiers, Kumar Sangakkara, Kane Williamson, Angelo Mathews

UAE (Pakistanis) : Misbah Ul Haq, Younis Khan, Azhar Ali, Asad Shafiq

Last edited:

HouHsiaoHsien

State Captain
According to you, who are the best visiting batsmen in each country? I will probably go with Top 3 in each:

England: Don Bradman, Viv Richards, Rahul Dravid

Australia: Wally Hammond, Ken Barrington, Jack Hobbs

West Indies: Steve Waugh, Mohinder Amarnath, Sunil Gavaskar

South Africa: Virat Kohli, Sachin Tendulkar, Steve Waugh

India: Steve Smith, Clive Lloyd, Andy Flower

Pakistan: Sunil Gavaskar, Allan Border, Virendra Sehwag

New Zealand: Javed Miandad, Greg Chappell, Allan Border

Sri Lanka: Brian Lara, Stephen Fleming, Virendra Sehwag

Zimbabwe: Marvanam Atapattu, Rahul Dravid, Younis Khan

Bangladesh: Sachin Tendulkar, Younis Khan, Kumar Sangakkara

UAE (non Pakistainis) : AB de Villiers, Kumar Sangakkara, Kane Williamson

UAE (Pakistanis) : Misbah Ul Haq, Younis Khan, Azhar Ali
Mostly agree, probably would have Viv in Australia as well

HouHsiaoHsien

State Captain
As good as he was, tough to make a case for him ahead of Hammond, Barrington and Hobbs. Probably close with Smith and Border for the 4th.
For me, it’s cause of his high SR and pretty good average combination on some tough surfaces and domination of Lillee and Co(his performance in the 1979 series was very pivotal in WI winning in Australia).

capt_Luffy

International Regular
For me, it’s cause of his high SR and pretty good average combination on some tough surfaces and domination of Lillee and Co(his performance in the 1979 series was very pivotal in WI winning in Australia).
I somehow mixed up and added Smith and Border for Australia thinking it was away..... Anyways, it's pretty much a toss up for me between Hutton (who also played some pretty great attacks, in some tough pitches in the 50s) and Viv; with Tendulkar coming at 6th closely.

HouHsiaoHsien

State Captain
I somehow mixed up and added Smith and Border for Australia thinking it was away..... Anyways, it's pretty much a toss up for me between Hutton (who also played some pretty great attacks, in some tough pitches in the 50s) and Viv; with Tendulkar coming at 6th closely.
I guess Viv’s SR and the overall context of his performance as the guy who stood up to the hostile pace bowling of Lillee and Thommo gives him the edge. And his WSC performances

HouHsiaoHsien

State Captain
I would say Ben Stokes ahead of Kohli for South Africa cause he helped England win two tours from two with 700+ runs @52
Nah Kohli is the greatest batsmen to visit there, dominated Steyn, Philander and Morke in 2013, peak Philanader, Rabada and Morkel in 2018, and had decent tours otherwise too. Stokes only had Morkel and Rabada to contend with in 2015. Plus Stokes didn’t face nightmare tracks unlike Kohli(SA are notorious for giving worse tracks to Asian countries).

Last edited:

capt_Luffy

International Regular
WSC was well after the 1975/76 WI series lol

(and WSC should count, highest level of cricket in the world for 2 years 1977/79)
When did I exactly said 1975/76 series doesn't count again lol.....

(And it's about performance in each individual country, in Test cricket. WSC was many things, Test matches wasn't one of them.)

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
Dravid or even Gooch over Gavaskar in WI. Dravid did well v Ambrose/Walsh before two iconic performances on Sabina Park minefields later in his career. Gooch scored over 50% of England's runs in tons at Sabina Park and Kensington Oval v ATG attacks.

S Waugh one of the best there. Very good v uneven bounce and iconic performances.

Would consider Ponting in SA. Think Kohli is the king there. Outstanding consistency on some demonic pitches v gun attacks.

Tendulkar in Australia. Viv wasn't ultra consistent there but in terms of skill set he's hard to look past.

Perhaps Martin Crowe in Pakistan. Very highly rated v reverse swing and has an elite hundred there v an ATG at the peak of his powers.

S Smith has to be in the England discussion for his 2019 tour. Sangakkara in NZ too. He has three world class hundreds there.