• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best to Never

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Updated XI

1. Gholam Rahman (Ban) – 1152 runs @ 52.36
2. Jamie Cox (Aus) – 18604 runs @ 42.86
3. Sridharan Sriram (Ind) - 7910 runs @ 56.50, 76 wkts @ 44.10
4. Steve Tikolo (As) – 2848 runs @ 52.74, 45 wkts @ 39.02
5. Peter Fulton (NZ) – 2952 runs @ 49.20
6. Brian Davison (Zim) – 27453 runs @ 39.96, 82 wkts @ 32.78
7. Peter Sainbury (Eng) - 20176 runs @ 26.86, 1316 wkts @ 24.14
8. Tahir Rasheed (Pak) - 5803 runs @ 25.23, 562 dis @ 3.11/match
9. Carl Tuckett (WI) - 1591 runs @ 30.01, 73 wkts @ 19.97
10. Vince van der Bijl (RSA) – 767 wkts @ 16.54
11. Nandika Ranjith (SL) – 220 wkts @ 18.84

Peter Sainbury replaces Gary Keedy, i can't believe i got a Englishmen as my spinner, but whatever. Tashir Rasheed comes in as the Pakistan player, its quite easy to see why he didn't make the Pakistan side considering his batting is probably not good enough, but he did have Wasim Bari, Rashid Latif and Moin Khan infront of him, so you could say he would have got a Test if he didn't have very good keeper/batsmen infront of him. Also Sriram replaces Dharamini as the Indian. I wonder how these guys would have gone aganist other Test sides. Me think Carl Tuckett would have been the weaklink, so i might have to do some more searching for a Windies player.

EDIT: Brian Davison replaces Trevor Penny as the Zimbabwean

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
That won't be a bad side, but threads like this make me wonder why there shouldn't be more A team tours and tournaments. In fact, I think it would be a great idea to have an A team world cup a year before the WC at the same place where the WC is going to be played.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Im not sure if someone like Davison should count for Zimbabwe. They didnt have a test team when he was in his prime, so its hard for him to get picked, isnt it? Sort of defeats the "real" purpose of this thread.

Penney falls into this category a bit as well. Zimbabwe would have picked him if they could, but he simply wasnt available.

Greg Lamb deserves a mention.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He did average 30 with the ball which might explain why he never played a Test.
Clearly, you weren't around at the time. His numbers only blew out after his personal problems started. I remember there was mention of his sister dying or something similar and from then on, NSW stopped picking him.

Besides, I'm only talking about what I saw when I saw him bowl. To me, he looked excellent.

Oh and another one to add; Wade Seccombe.

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/ci/content/player/7589.html

His batting was probably what stopped him but as a gloveman, there were none better in Australian cricket. 521 catches in 115 matches is pretty awesome and anyone who saw him keep would know he was a very special 'keeper.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Im not sure if someone like Davison should count for Zimbabwe. They didnt have a test team when he was in his prime, so its hard for him to get picked, isnt it? Sort of defeats the "real" purpose of this thread.

Penney falls into this category a bit as well. Zimbabwe would have picked him if they could, but he simply wasnt available.
With that in mind, I'd put Graeme Hick as my number 1 pick. Damn Zimbabwean selectors never picked him! Must have been politics or somethin'........

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Top_Cat said:
With that in mind, I'd put Graeme Hick as my number 1 pick. Damn Zimbabwean selectors never picked him! Must have been politics or somethin'........
Thats exactly my point though.

People like Penney, Hick and Davison shouldnt be eligible because they werent available for selection.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Prince EWS said:
Thats exactly my point though.

People like Penney, Hick and Davison shouldnt be eligible because they werent available for selection.
TBF I'd guess maybe a dozen Zimbabweans/Rhodesians played for SA before Zimbabwe became a test nation, so the door wasn't totally closed. Off the top my head I can think of Bland, Duckworth, Du Preez & Traicos (who actually did turn out for the Zimbas later, or course).

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
honestbharani said:
That won't be a bad side, but threads like this make me wonder why there shouldn't be more A team tours and tournaments. In fact, I think it would be a great idea to have an A team world cup a year before the WC at the same place where the WC is going to be played.

An interesting thought although one would question the definition of 'A' - think there'd have to be some fairly strict qualifications on it (ie less than 10 ODIs or no games in the last 2 years?)

Would give the host nation a dry run as well.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
BoyBrumby said:
TBF I'd guess maybe a dozen Zimbabweans/Rhodesians played for SA before Zimbabwe became a test nation, so the door wasn't totally closed.
Except SA weren't playing Tests at the time...

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Prince EWS said:

Greg Lamb deserves a mention.
Im pretty broad on the quailfications, in terms of someone chioce to play for a county. Both Davison and Penney could have played for Zimabawe if they made themselves avaiable. Davison was playing when Zimbabwe took part in the World Cups in 83-92 prior to Test Status but choose not the play for Zimbabwe. When i looked for Zimbabeans players i looked for expats first, cus i thought they might be some guns and Davison was the best i found. I think i will keep Davison in my side as he meets my quailfications as Zimbabean born cricketer. But Greg Lamb will be kept in mind depending on if i can find a better Windies player.

Also i don't think it defeats the purpose of this thread cus if i didn't find Rahman and Ranjith i would have looked for Bangla players from the 80s and Lankans from the 70s, i.e similar players to Davison. IMO Davison is the 3rd best batsmen to come from Zimbabwe outside Andy Flower and Murry Goodwin.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Top_Cat said:
Clearly, you weren't around at the time. His numbers only blew out after his personal problems started. I remember there was mention of his sister dying or something similar and from then on, NSW stopped picking him.

Besides, I'm only talking about what I saw when I saw him bowl. To me, he looked excellent.

Oh and another one to add; Wade Seccombe.

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/ci/content/player/7589.html

His batting was probably what stopped him but as a gloveman, there were none better in Australian cricket. 521 catches in 115 matches is pretty awesome and anyone who saw him keep would know he was a very special 'keeper.
First i would have Darren Berry and Brad Haddin on par with Seccombe, as guys that missed out on Australian caps through the fitness and greatest of Gilly

On Stuart, i've always saw him as a great OD bowler but a class below when it comes to FC or Test potentail, even when he was at his best for NSW. To see that all you have to look back at is your description of him. Something along the lines of accurate bowler who hit the seam. His greatest feature was his accuracy and only at his best he got great seam movement.