• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best team since Waugh/ Ponting’s Australia?

Best team?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

subshakerz

International Coach
England being better in 2009 is a very tough sell. In 2012 my read was that they were a bit past their best when they beat India away. Based on that doc that came out a while back I think the players felt the same way. Though it also suggested that Flower built that team on a cult-like intensity that couldn’t possibly be sustained.

I don’t remember SA ever feeling quite complete in the way that 2011 England did. SA always felt like they could beat anyone anywhere and lose to anyone anywhere. There were a lot of impressive series wins but not so many dominant ones.
In 2012, their batting was fine. They lost that series because SA batting was at its peak and they overcame Anderson, Swann, Broad, etc who were still bowling well just that year in the subcontinent. SA were just a better team no ifs and buts.

And once Philander came into the side from 2011 to when Kallis retired they were pretty complete as a team and overcame their home problem.

subshakerz

International Coach
Agreed. But "smash" either one of Waugh's teams or Clive Lloyd’s? No. In any length test series I'd expect it to be an Indian win by a single test at most.
I dont get how this Indian team which can still lose a test at home to Australia and England would smash 80s WI.

Chrish

International Debutant
I don’t get how a team that was all out for 36 went on to win the four game series in Australia ???

It’s called test “series” for a reason..

subshakerz

International Coach
I don’t get how a team that was all out for 36 went on to win the four game series in Australia ???

It’s called test “series” for a reason..
You are missing the point. Even ordinary teams like 2021 England and 2017 Australia have managed to clip a test win in India. You would expect 80s WI to do better so being dominated by India is out of the question.

Chrish

International Debutant
You are missing the point. Even ordinary teams like 2021 England and 2017 Australia have managed to clip a test win in India. You would expect 80s WI to do better so being dominated by India is out of the question.
You just don’t get it, do you? It’s called “series” because a team can have off day in one game, but they can bounce back in others. Individual games have no meaning toward final result.

And “even ordinary teams” like Aus and Eng had guys like Smith and Root making runs that resulted in individual game wins. You are making it sound like they lost to Zimbabwe or something.

At this point Indian team has a proven track record of reducing any visiting side to ashes. It’s not a matter of feelings. They are objectively most dominant home side in the history.

subshakerz

International Coach
You just don’t get it, do you? It’s called “series” because a team can have off day in one game, but they can bounce back in others. Individual games have no meaning toward final result.

And “even ordinary teams” like Aus and Eng had guys like Smith and Root making runs that resulted in individual game wins. You are making it sound like they lost to Zimbabwe or something.

At this point Indian team has a proven track record of reducing any visiting side to ashes. It’s not a matter of feelings. They are objectively most dominant home side in the history.
You are seriously underestimating the 80s WI if you think any team is capable of steamrolling them regardless of conditions. They have too many ATG level players capable of changing games in a session for that to happen. Series would likely end 2-1 or 3-2 either way.

And you forget that India couldnt dominate 2017 Australia, it was a close fought series until the final test.

Let's see how Cummins' team does this year. I predict even if they lose, they won't be dominated.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I don’t.. In a 5 test series in india against this Indian side vs any other side from history, I would put my money on the former without a doubt..
Australia from the 1930s would destroy this Indian side in India. Peak Bradman with the bat plus 2 of the top 5 spinners of all time. Easy.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Two of the top 2 spinners in history got murdered in India though
Not by this side though. They don't seem to be the players of spin previous generations were. Still enormously hard to beat on their own patch against anyone though.

Personally not overly sold on a team dominating at home as a measure of greatness anyway. This Indian outfit has won in Aus x2 and just drew in England as well (albeit the weird length of series thing which seemed to go against them). Decent body of work imo and i still think they're the number one side going around atm. I think the peak Smith-led SA side was better, but the current era Indian outfit is also very, very good.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I don’t.. In a 5 test series in india against this Indian side vs any other side from history, I would put my money on the former without a doubt..
Most Indian batsmen turn into bradman at home, india's current pacers all average like 20 at home, and jadeja+ashwin at 7/8 in those conditions is major hax. Can't think of many sides that could consistently beat them in india.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The mental gymnastics this must take wow.

"We were better than that team but then we lost to that team because we just weren't as good that year but the other years we were better"
Read my post you’ve quoted and then explain to me how that translates to what you’ve said I said. You won’t be able to, dummy

subshakerz

International Coach
Not by this side though. They don't seem to be the players of spin previous generations were. Still enormously hard to beat on their own patch against anyone though.

Personally not overly sold on a team dominating at home as a measure of greatness anyway. This Indian outfit has won in Aus x2 and just drew in England as well (albeit the weird length of series thing which seemed to go against them). Decent body of work imo and i still think they're the number one side going around atm. I think the peak Smith-led SA side was better, but the current era Indian outfit is also very, very good.
This has been my point this thread as well.

India's away record is also a point of contention. Since 2015 under Kohli, they have won in Sri Lanka, WI and Australia twice. They played five series in NZ, SA and England and lost four and drew one, which for a top team is an underperformance.

Also, assuming they win in SL, I would consider Australia under Cummins as better than India currently. India as a team seem to have peaked last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.