• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best team since Waugh/ Ponting’s Australia?

Best team?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Kohli's India by big distance:
Unbeaten at home
wins in Australia, SA and Eng test matches
also greatest ever ODI team
great T20 team
IPL become bigger and bigger

Best Kohli India will beat Australia 99-03
Yessssss... we needed our own e poster. :p

EDIT - or bazzposter. We enough Gambhirers in our lot.

Slifer

International Captain
Unbeaten at home
great T20 team

The first bolded is lol and probably just trolling.

The second, if you mean Kohli's team would win a test series vs Steve Waugh's Australia in India then that's fair. They're not winning a series, much less a test in Australia vs Waugh's team. Especially, if that team is at full strength. Ok fine, they might sneak out a drawn test down under but that's about it.

Xix2565

International Debutant
I concede Kohlis team has a better attack overall. I just wonder how much the pacers will play a role if its spicy pitches.
I mean define spicy pitches first lol, and then show me how you think the recent crop of pacers won't succeed after you go through their records.

thakzz

Cricket Spectator
The first bolded is lol and probably just trolling.

The second, if you mean Kohli's team would win a test series vs Steve Waugh's Australia in India then that's fair. They're not winning a series, much less a test in Australia vs Waugh's team. Especially, if that team is at full strength. Ok fine, they might sneak out a drawn test down under but that's about it.
Not true. Bumrah, shami, ishant/siraj/some other 3rd seamer and any of ashwin/jadeja is better than any attack waughs aussies faced.

Then the likes of kohli, sharma, dhawan, pujara, dhoni would have too much for mcgrath and warne.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not true. Bumrah, shami, ishant/siraj/some other 3rd seamer and any of ashwin/jadeja is better than any attack waughs aussies faced.

Then the likes of kohli, sharma, dhawan, pujara, dhoni would have too much for mcgrath and warne.
The 90s had multiple attacks that could defend 200. :p

Slifer

International Captain

????? Ok I'm off to smoke whatever you're on....

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Unbeaten at home
great T20 team

We are going to beat some long standing records. Like, the team that couldn't defend 4th innings targets most number of times consecutively. Some enviable records.

Kohli's not the captain any more, but he is the chest bumping lead. Legacy not over yet.

subshakerz

International Coach
I mean define spicy pitches first lol, and then show me how you think the recent crop of pacers won't succeed after you go through their records.
Spicy pitches as in pitches that spin appreciably from Day 1.

Shami, etc. have. bowled well but India's success at home has been largely Ashwin/Jadeja with the pacers as support.

I dont think Kohli's pace advantage will be a deciding factor vs the 2000s team compared to the latter's larger batting advantage.

Xix2565

International Debutant
Spicy pitches as in pitches that spin appreciably from Day 1.

Shami, etc. have. bowled well but India's success at home has been largely Ashwin/Jadeja with the pacers as support.

I dont think Kohli's pace advantage will be a deciding factor vs the 2000s team compared to the latter's larger batting advantage.
I mean not really? There is nothing crazy to be felt in giving the pacers their dues in making India nearly unbeatable in the recent years, and the stats bear this out. I'm not sure why you think the greats of the past will find it any easier to make runs considering how they fared against the best attacks in their time.

And I've never seen anything that suggests the "larger batting advantage" is as substantial as you make it out to be, considering this recent side has configurations thay can bat down to 9 and still have a formidable bowling attack in India.

subshakerz

International Coach
I mean not really? There is nothing crazy to be felt in giving the pacers their dues in making India nearly unbeatable in the recent years, and the stats bear this out. I'm not sure why you think the greats of the past will find it any easier to make runs considering how they fared against the best attacks in their time.

And I've never seen anything that suggests the "larger batting advantage" is as substantial as you make it out to be, considering this recent side has configurations thay can bat down to 9 and still have a formidable bowling attack in India.
Shami and Ishant are not Donald and McGrath so why bring up the greats of the past? To the extent they bowled well at home, it has been as a support act for the spinners, who often even opened the bowling. Over the course of a series and assuming their spinners are neutralized, I dont think the pace battery will be the matchwinning difference between the sides you make them out to be.

And yes, as a batting unit, Sehwag, Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman and Dhoni are a league ahead of Rohit, Kohli, Pujara, Rahane and Pant, home or abroad and especially as players of spin, even if we ignore the collective slump the middle order has been in. The fact that Kohli's side has to regularly bailed out by the lower order is also a reflection of their top order struggles.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Also honestly, a 2-2 in England is actually a good result for an Asian side tbh. Disappointing obviously considering the circumstances but not some disaster that ruins this team's standing greatly afaic. SA tour was worse. Casual non-regular Indian posters earlier in this thread needed a smackdown of humility though, pretending that the series was won at 2-1 was pretty ****ing stupid.
This loss definitely takes the sheen off for me. As things stand and if the Eng series was played all over again, I doubt we would come away with a draw. We lost a winnable series in SA, we seem chronically incapable of beating NZ outside of India. So basically we've had Aus to gloat about for a while but that last '21 win was enormously improbable as it was unfolding and I really don't think we could repeat it if the cards fell down the exact same way as they did then.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If only Pujara, Rahane and Kohli didn’t decide to collectively **** the bed, we’d have probably won in SA. That would’ve been huge - 2 away wins in Aus, draw in Eng and win in SA.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
what decisions did he take that were detrimental to the team?
The fact that he seemed to have walked in with the sole purpose of removing Shastri and Kohli from their roles.... Dravid has not shown anything great or even good yet as a coach at this level and he spoke about it as if it was some proven and done deal. Also the way the IPL has been managed and handled (expansion, not pushing it back by at least a week to allow the 5th test to play out last year etc.).

He is just making decisions based on his ego. And that does not gel well with what was already a very ego fuelled team setup.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
If only Pujara, Rahane and Kohli didn’t decide to collectively **** the bed, we’d have probably won in SA. That would’ve been huge - 2 away wins in Aus, draw in Eng and win in SA.
pujara (mostly), rahane and kohli have been horrendous for a while, haven't they? our wins have come largely in spite of them, not because of them...

Chrish

International Debutant
I just dont think Ganguly has helped this team. In a way, I think most things sabotaging this team right now is because of Ganguly and his decisions as the BCCI head. :(
Yeah had high hopes from him.. Wouldn’t be surprised if Shastri stepping down had something to with that. Shastri got the best out of both players and curators.

Coaching is underrated as you can see from current turn-around of England side (quite possibly short-term but still impressive).

Of course it’s unfair to judge Dravid just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.